1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Available in 6 styles:  E300 Diesel 4dr Sedan shown

Overall

Great so far!

by RecentPurchaser from MD | March 5, 2012

I just bought a used 1998 E320 wagon. Overall, I love the car so far. Pros: quiet and smooth ride, spacious, 7 seats (two fold down in the rear), comfort, beautiful to look at, BOSE sound system. Cons: needs premium gas, getting 18 miles per gallon city; 25 highway; window controls in center console instead of on the door. Needed to buy an extra seat cushion for lumbar back support. I can't comment on reliability yet.

Great ride!

by 305 from Miami, Fl | January 10, 2012

Bought from original owner with 76,000 miles. This car was obviously not a daily driver. Now it is. Will back up newer kid-hauler. Drives wonderfully...especially for a 14 yr old car! Look is still current. Only negative is that I had to replace the alternator. Found reliable MB Mechanic who did the job (new Bosch alternator, new battery, reprogramming fault codes, labor) for $900. Dealer would have cost $2000. Everything is solid on the car!

Most Reliable-efficient car I've Owned-Mercedes

by Decoder from Michigan | December 20, 2011

I purchased a 1998 E320 Mercedes from the 3rd owner. At first I was reluctant thinking that being an older year this car would become a "nickel & time" drain on my wallet. It turns out this vehicle is the best used vehicle I have ever bought! It is great on gas, handles the best of any I have had, still isn't rusting out and I get alot of looks from the younger crowd (at least until they get close enough to see I'm in my 60s !! Ha!) This is German engineering at it's best! Recommend this model to anyone!

its nice when its nice

by Phivegs from socal | May 14, 2011

its either trouble free for a year or its little electronic sensor warnings that go away...and if you cant do the small repairs yourself it will eat your wallet

A real headturner and a great ride

by CheshireBill from Cheshire, Connecticut | January 7, 2011

I have had my 1999 E320 4Matic Wagon for just over one year, and it has been a joy to drive. Any buyer of a 10 year old Mercedes Benz can expect to spend aa couple of thousand dollars on inevitable wear items including front axles, tires, rotors and pads and maybe a new exhaust. Other than these wear items, my car has been trouble free. The ride is fantastic, the V6 engine has plenty of power, and the car handles snow conditions as well as any AWD I have owned.

My Hearts Desire

by Luvin' my Benz from California | November 22, 2010

This is a beautiful older model vehicle. I chose it specifically for the body style and exterior appearance but found it loaded with extras, particularly all wheel drive which is great for rain and snow.

Very Reliable

by Jimbo from Brandon Ms | May 7, 2010

This is the best car I have own. I don't have to fix something very month with the high miles. This car get well over 200,000 miles and be ready for another 100,000 if you just keep the oil change. It is made to last a long time if you take care of it. I plan to buy another one soon!

A Great Ride

by Repoman from Newport RI | March 8, 2010

It's now 12 yrs old. w/122k mi. Looks good rides very well and as it's so old there are hardly any taxes to pay on it. When something does go wrong the dealers extract a fortune to repair it. Fortunately, it has been relatively trouble free for all the years I've owned it. I hear horror stories about the electrical system but knock on wood, I'm fine. Mileage for last year averaged out to 26.4 mpg for 12 months. It used to be better before the Gument decided they wanted us to put alcohol in the gas tank as well - like about 28 mpg. Best car I've ever owned.

sporty yet practical(wagon)

by Benz boy from NYC | December 17, 2009

I do not understand why people crying so much about maintenance costs. There is no such a thing as cheap maintenance. Just like someone did in here math already, fewer oil changes more money saving. And I would absolutely agree with many here that if you not a car person and can't do a single thing yourself then be ready to open up your wallet for a guy who loves taking care of cars. I love this car - it serves well, runs strong even at 145K, has 5 speed trans and saves gas. Not to mention that name speaks for itself.

mercedes

by jacko from seattle | August 26, 2009

i would recommend this car to anyone that wants a reliable car. mercedes benz is known for their wonderful automobiles and this truly is one of them. I cant wait to buy my next mercedes benz.

Featured Services for this Mercedes-Benz E-Class