1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

See Photos & Videos

Overall

1999 Benz e320 Mercedes

by Nate from Dallas, TX | January 24, 2014

In General, the best car I've ever owned. Most roomy for size. Comnfortable to drive. "I love my car" factor high now as it was in 1999 when I got it.

Great car for my wife

by Ebert from Atascadero, California | March 19, 2013

The car looked as great as the ad, drove better than we thought and was in great shape. We looked at several other vehicles and settled on the one we went looking for. Great body style, performance and handling. My wife was already happy with her previous E320 and was equally happy we bought the second one. I feel very safe with her driving it and with carrying our kids. I feel safe knowing she is in a safe, reliable vehicle and she looks great in the car. Very stylish.

Benzy 99

by Toptoad713 from Hartford, CT | January 30, 2012

Bought with 80kmiles in 2011. For the price you cant touch this car. Still very tight and quiet. Changing out the receiver (by Becker) as it is crackly. Bose speakers seem fine. Overall a sweet ride.

Exceptional Build Quality, Safety, and Reliability

by Mercedes First Timer from Denver, CO | October 21, 2011

We purchased a 1999 Mercedes Benz E320 4Matic for 23-year-old my nephew. While shopping for the perfect example, I noticed most of them had great service histories and (assuming reasonably well cared for) superior exterior and interior condition. I credit MB for an excellent base product. We chose this model because it met our safety requirements, had 4-wheel drive, and was within our budget (we bought the car for $6K). This example was in pretty much perfect condition -- the only thing we would need to fix are the catalytic converters (car had 127K at the time of purchase). The original cats were giving out. To replace these is expensive -- roughly $1500-2K total for one left and one right side and labor. There are cheaper alternatives but we selected the MB factory refurbished units. Other than this expected problem, the car has been flawless. For a 12-year-old car with 127K miles, it runs beautifully, has a smooth-shifting transmission and tight yet forgiving suspension that always feels spot on. It rides on the highway better than most new cars. My nephew definitely appreciates the looks and all of the comforts of the Benz (heated seats, large sunroof, various electric conveniences, and the air conditioned glove box). We feel good because he is SAFE. Most examples included the optional side-impact airbags and, of course, this car is solidly built with good German steel. You can feel its durability when shutting the door. It is SOLID. We would recommend this to anyone. While parts and skilled labor may cost more, they last a very long time and the car retains value well (at least at this age). We feel we would have no problem selling this car for more than we paid for it. Personally, I recommend avoiding any examples with a tan interior -- this always seems to look dirty and stained. Stick with the grey or black -- much more durable. Also, GOLD versions seemed plentiful -- but not many buyers for this icky (my opinion) color. Many of these will have sun damaged headlights -- don't worry too much. These can be buffed out (professionally) to remove the sun damage and they'll look great again.

It could be worse I guess...

by AndrewB3 from Greensburg, PA | July 19, 2011

Being only seventeen I could have a worse car, but after giving my 2010 E350 to my sister (Her BMW had an engine failure...) I got this from my dad as it was a car we kept at our vacation home. It is a nice looking car, but Mercedes-Benz could have been a bit more generous in the quality department. Things like the passenger mirror break without any notice, Bulbs burn out every week, and my personal favorite, the car like to make up faults that don't exist via the information screen. The good points do outweigh the cons, however. For somebody like me that drives hundreds of miles a day in rural PA, the car has more than enough power, I see no need to buy a bigger engine. It is also so smooth and comfortable on the highway, and to top that off, I frequently get about 28-32 MPG on the highway. To finalize my review, if you can afford the upkeep on one of these, then get the best one you can find, I can assure you that you will enjoy it for many miles to come.

Plush, safe vehicle

by Critical Eye for quality. from Charlotte, NC | February 6, 2011

I purchased a 1999 E320 for my wife to drive. This vehicle is vey well built. The ride is comfortabe and quiet, power is good. Reliability is good. Cost to maintain is higher than less expensive cars, however you expect that because the car has more features and cost more than may cars. Safety is very good. Appreance is stylish and clasic. This car is more of a comfort ride than high performance. That was fine for us. If you want a sportier car, the E500 class was designed for that. I purchased an other E class in 2006 and have a 2011 E350 on order now. The E 350 is what the current model is called. I believe that you can buy cheaper cars, but you get what you pay for.

Most unreliable Car I've ever owned

by ilsaggio from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida | July 4, 2010

My Mercedes-Benz E300-TD drove beautifully, was very comfortable, and cost me a fortune in repairs. I loved the car when nothing was wrong with it, but then again there always seemed to be something that required taking it to a mechanic. I've never owned a car that had as many mechanical problems as this car had.

Self Service 1999 E430

by colink from OK | June 12, 2010

Buying used and doing the normal service items yourself makes this car an absolute bargain. Driving a really comfortable, solid, capable car for the price of a 5 year old Malibu. Watch out for leaking cam covers, worn suspension components (ball joints) and collapsed engine mountings. I drive 40 miles each way to work on the freeway and get average 23mpg. Much less in town

my 11th benz

by r from north carolina | July 12, 2009

This was my first ill experience with a benz diesel. I purchased this car in 2003 with 41,000 miles from the original owner with all up to date services and records. At 68,000 miles I had to replace the belt. At, 73,000 miles, the fuel injector lines had to be replaced. they changed these lines from steel to plastic..what were they thinking. At 84,000 miles there were a/c repairs. At 100,000 miles the transmission went out. My last diesel went for 387,000 miles with anly an a/c repair (85 300td). The performance of the engine is great, the turning radius is unbelievable. the cabin is very roomy. This car is equiped with orthorpedic seats. A really nice feature. While this car really handles well, looks good. The idea that all these repairs were required before their time is unsettling. The transmission thing really takes the cake. $2,800, plus labor. This is just over the top and unfortunately will be my last Benz.

Bullet Proof Car

by Z-man from Seattle WA | April 15, 2009

We bought this car new and never intended selling until the snow storm in Seattle on XMAS 2008. We decided to get an AWD drive wagon again but did not like the new E-class wagon because of the smaller jumper seat and hatch area. In addition, our 2003 sedan has been problematic. FOr this reason we bought a used 2001 E320 wagon that was all wheel drive. We think this vehicle design is one of the best all round vehicles to own. Loved it so much that we bought another.

Featured Services for this Mercedes-Benz E-Class