The 2009 Mercedes-Benz E-Class soldiers on with only a few notable changes. The E-Class is wedged between the smaller, more-affordable C-Class and the pricey, full-sized S-Class in Mercedes' lineup. Its size and price put the E-Class in competition with models such as the BMW 5 Series, Cadillac STS and Lexus GS.
New for 2009
4Matic all-wheel drive optional on all sedans at no charge.
The E-Class carries a more rounded design theme, as opposed to its almost-edgy sibling, the C-Class. The E-Class measures about 189 inches long and 71 inches wide, and the wagon adds about 2 inches of length. The E-Class is an inch or two shorter in length than the STS, 5 Series and GS.
- Dual chrome exhaust tips
- Chrome door handles
- Heated, folding side-view mirrors with turn-signal indicators
- 18-inch AMG five-spoke wheels on Sport sedans
- New 17-inch, seven-spoke wheels on Luxury sedan/wagon
- Available AMG Sport package with front and rear aprons
Passenger volume measures 97.2 cubic feet. The trunk measures 15.9 cubic feet in the sedan, and there's 24.2 cubic feet of cargo space in the wagon; both more than BMW's 5 Series wagon and sedan. In contrast, the Cadillac STS and Lexus GS offer substantially larger cabins but less cargo space. The E-Class gets a new stereo with a six-disc CD/DVD changer, more colorful graphics, iPod/MP3 media interface and a hard drive for the navigation system and for storing music.
- 12-speaker Harman Kardon stereo
- Power liftgate (wagon)
- Hands-free phone connectivity
Under the Hood
The E-Class has several powertrain options, including a V-6, a V-8 and a clean-diesel engine.
- 210-horsepower, turbo-diesel 3.0-liter V-6 (400 pounds-feet of torque)
- 268-hp, 3.5-liter V-6 (258 pounds-feet of torque)
- 382-hp, 5.5-liter V-8 (391 pounds-feet of torque)
- 507-hp, 6.2-liter V-8 (465 pounds-feet of torque)
- 4Matic all-wheel drive available on all sedans and Wagons
- Five- and seven-speed automatic transmissions
- Optional adaptive/self-leveling suspension
Numerous safety features are standard on the E-Class, including:
- Dual-stage driver and passenger airbags
- Side-impact airbags for both rows
- Side curtain airbags
- Antilock brakes with brake assist
- Electronic stability system
- Radar-based adaptive cruise control
- Automated collision-mitigation braking system
- Adaptive brake lights
- Emergency assistance system
People Who Viewed This Car Also Viewed
Closest Dealers Listing this Car
Featured Services for the Mercedes-Benz E-Class
- Sell your current car quickly and easily on Cars.com.