The GL-Class lineup consists of the diesel GL350 Bluetec (formerly the GL320) and the gas GL450 and GL550. All GLs seat seven people in three rows of seats. The GL competes with the Acura MDX and BMW X5.
New for 2010
There are minor exterior tweaks to the GL350 and GL450, and a new Post-Safe safety system for 2010.
A raked hood imparts a sporty appearance that's augmented by muscular flared wheel arches. Twin power domes running the length of the hood recall similar cues in the company's classic 300SL Gullwing sports cars.
The GL350 Bluetec and GL450 feature new headlamps and LED taillights, plus new styling for the grille and front and rear bumpers, trapezoidal tailpipes, chrome skid plates and a choice between standard dual fog lights or optional LED daytime lights.
- Sporty appearance
- GL450 has 19-inch wheels
- GL350 Bluetec has 20-inch wheels
- GL550 has 21-inch wheels
Seating for seven is standard, along with a multimedia system featuring Bluetooth hands-free connectivity plus audio, video and navigation functions.
- Mercedes' Comand system controls entertainment, navigation and climate settings
- Keyless start standard on GL550
- Wood and leather materials
- Seating for seven
- Available rear DVD entertainment system
- Standard heated front seats
- Heated and ventilated front seats standard in GL550
Under the Hood
Three engine options are available, and a seven-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive are standard.
- GL350's diesel V-6 produces 210 horsepower and 398 pounds-feet of torque
- GL450's 335-hp, 4.6-liter V-8 produces 339 pounds-feet of torque
- GL550's 382-hp, 5.5-liter V-8 produces 391 pounds-feet of torque
The GL-Class uses a combination of cheaper-to-replace bolt-on steel crash boxes and lightweight aluminum sections to minimize weight and repair expenses while maximizing crash safety. The new Post-Safe system unlocks the doors and shuts down the engine and fuel system after an accident. Other standard safety equipment includes:
- Side curtain airbags for all three rows
- Side-impact airbags for first and second rows
- Antilock brakes
- Electronic stability system
- Pre-Safe collision-mitigation system, which tightens seatbelts and closes windows prior to impact
Cars.com Expert Reviews
|Kelsey Mays||Cars.com National||December 30, 2009|
|Cars.com Staff||Cars.com National||June 6, 2009|
People Who Viewed This Car Also Viewed
Closest Dealers Listing this Car
Featured Services for the Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
- Sell your current car quickly and easily on Cars.com.