2013 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Rollover Prone?

by rjm14 from New York, NY | April 15, 2014

Sorry, but am I the only one on the planet who feels the car tilt when taking turns? MB really messed up on the electronics with this car. There is a feature to raise or lower the car, probably hydraulics under the frame which case it to go up and down. I'm not sure what the advantage would be to raising the car unless you are ascending a 45-degree mountain off-road, but it really is a useless feature just adding money to the price tag. The car is actually now 'stuck' with the rear driver side wheel in the raised position with the remaining ones lowered, so taking a right turn at even a slow speed wants to make the car roll right over. The car literally drives on a slant. If I want to 'even out' the height so all wheels are on the same level, I need to drive in the 'up' position with all wheels raised, which make the car top-heavy and rollover-prone at any speed for left OR right turns. This is incredibly dangerous to all occupants of the car. Further danger is in the distance control feature, which will apply the breaks when you're turning near a car on the highway or getting too close to one. Disable it and drive like you normally would- safely. The feature when enabled literally wants to take over the speed/break functions with no input from you the driver.

Guarded Recommendation

by Family Guy from Chicago | March 24, 2014

This car was my wife's choice. Though we got a 2013 with under 10 K miles on it, there is virtually no change on the 2014 model. It fills a niche' in the luxury SUV market where it is just big enough that the third row seat is usable for bigger people, but not like driving a bus, in the case of the Escalade or the Navigator. It is true that the Escalade and Navigator have more room in the third row, but the Mercedes gives you just enough that you can squeeze by. Unfortunately the Lexus GX and LX are not competitors because its third row sits on the floor, making it only suitable for small children. This is inexcusable for the Lexus brand. I hope they come to their senses soon. And if you really want people in the third row, do not even thinking of looking smaller. There are a lot of SUV's in this smaller size (such as the Audi Q7) that CANNOT seat a normal human in the back. My six year old child got his foot stuck in the Q7 just trying to point his toes forward. There are a lot of SUV's in this size class that say they have three rows which should not legally be able to advertise this. Back to the Mercedes GL 450: In this middle size, really the main competitor is the 2014 LR4 by Land Rover. I actually liked the drive of the LR4 better, it had better pick up and handled more like a car than the Mercedes GL 450. The new engine on the LR4 improves upon dismal gas mileage making it more competitive. But the LR4 is less refined inside, the manipulation of the third row seat takes either two people or someone from Cirque du Soleil to raise and lower it. And there is a lot of exposed piping in the LR4 that makes it look rugged. My wife wanted a more elegant look. As far as driving the Mercedes, I am actually very disappointed. It has a biturbo V8 that is sluggish, it drives like a truck, it sounds like a truck (no, this is not the GL 350 with the diesel engine), and the gas mileage is about the same if not worse than others in its class that have greater pick up. I traded in a Lexus GX470 that blew this car away in acceleration and comfort. That brings me to the seats. The seats have a lot of adjustments but despite this, I just can't quite get comfortable. I am 6'5" so this can be difficult, but I have found many cars where the seats are much better. We have had it only 3 weeks when we blew a tire in a pot hole which is probably just bad luck. I know it sounds like I hate this car. I don't. And my wife absolutely loves it. In fact, I think she would divorce me if she knew I was speaking ill of it (or "her"). It does exude luxury and it looks great when it is not sporting the undersized spare. But it is expensive to buy, expensive to own (takes premium gas, synthetic oil, etc), and I just expected a little more comfort and a little better performance than this.

Third times the charm!

by 3 GLs from LBI, NJ | November 23, 2013

This is my 3rd GL. I have owned an 07 and 10. Both of these I gave to family members. This is hands down my favorite out of the three. I had test driven the Escalade, QX56, Navigator, and LX570, but this has always come out on top. It is comfortable, stylish, and roomy for my family of 4. Bottom line: GET IT!!!

Most unreliable car I owed

by abilal from Pittsford, NY | August 28, 2013

Buy Rav 4 but not this 70,000 $ car. It has broken down 3 times in last 1 month. Only has 55000 miles on - first battery failed, then trunk door gave false alarm, so battery again died and last week the compressor was burnt causing steering to cease. Also, the mechanic brought out 2 other flaws which I can't describe costing nearly 3000$. Also, breaks changed earlier in the year. Disgusting car.

Great SUV

by New GL Owner from Chicago, IL | August 17, 2013

Great SUV! Stylish, powerful, functional and comfortable! The ride is smooth and quiet. There is a powerful growl with the V8. This is a truck that you can take to soccer game, grocery, off road, and even an opera and it will fit wherever you go. We checked in at a Four Seasons and the valet kept it up front. Steering is quick and precise. Navigation is nice to use. I did not get the rear entertainment package since I don't want my kids to watch TV all the time. To my surprise, the standard dash screen can play DVDs when parked and function with audio only when moving. Great feature so I can keep the kids in the car during grocery run and they can watch a movie with me while my wife dash out, take her time for errands etc. MB aspires to make this the S class of SUV. Agreed indeed!

Love it!

by New GL Owner from St. Louis, MO | July 30, 2013

Just got mine with P2 plus all the different safety features, love it, love it, love it. Handsome styling. The power is amazing. There is a slight turbo lag within half of a second but one can get used to it and step on the gas differently. The interior is great. Third row is truly useful. Still have room behind the third row for storage. It's quiet and yet powerful. Traded my X5 for this and my kids are loving it. Gas mileage is so so. However, one should not even worried about mpg when driving a 6000 pound bi turbo V8 that costs over $80K. The new GL450 is a want, not a need. Drive one and you will see!

bye bye green backs,my least reliable car

by kudetree from athens, ga | July 11, 2013

Awesome car if someone else is paying the bills. After the warranty, the car falls apart. I owned large Japanese SUVs prior to this car. Looking for fuel efficiency with diesel. Very fuel efficient but there are many repairs and all repairs are very expensive. Even the tires are unbelievably expensive. I loved the diesel fuel efficiency. I replaced the car with a hybrid Chevy Tahoe, almost as fuel efficient, cheaper fuel, and cheap to repair. Also much more reliable. Good job Govt Motors. At last, my tax dollars are going to good use.

Best SUV even if you cannot afford

by On the road again from Kansas City, MO | June 30, 2013

This SUV is so nice. Tons of meaningful safety features, blind spot/lane keep/cross wind/ terrain assists... Have it for about a month, love driving it. So smooth and quiet. I am planning a road trip just so I can drive if for a long distance. Test drove the GX, ML and X5, there is no comparison between. 3rd row is USEFUL, can't say that for my old GX and X5. Pay cash if you can afford it, if not, get a 48 month loan or lease it and enjoy the best you can get for you and your family.

best car or suv in the world

by your mom from | December 8, 2012

this suv is the best out there you should buy it instead of whatever else your looking at. this car isnt as good in price as the audi q7 but it is quieter softer and luxurious.

The best dynamic car of my choice

by olujideabayomi@yahoo.com from WARRI,DELTA STATE IN NIGERIA. | May 20, 2012

My personel review about the car is GOOD because the best comes from the first,This car is very dynamic in functions and will stand the test of time before the nest bomb from the manufacturer.IT IS A 4 STARS CAR.