1997 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

13–18 city / 20–23.9 hwy

Overall

no contact

by cherry 2 from | March 18, 2013

the dealer never contact me sent email 2 times i will send a email to them again i gave them my phone number no one called

Always reliable, powerful, fun to drive, wonderbar

by awa2kygirl from Phoenix, AZ | October 7, 2010

This car is for a free spirit. Handles most superb. Never out of extreme power in any circumstance. Gets down and races anyone. An engineering feat. Most amazing car I've ever owned.

Excellent automobile - very prestigous !

by M-B convert from St. Paul, MN | July 31, 2008

1997 Mercedes SL500, 48K miles. I love this SL. I have also owned a M-B E420 and loved it to. After owning 2 M-Bs, I will not purchase another brand of auto. Gas milage at 70MPH is 27 and in-town about 20 (16 in winter). I purchased the SL in 2005 with 33K miles. It now has 48K. The only maintenance (other than required) that has been done is the replacement of a head light wiper motor and a battery. We live in MN and drive the SL year around, (unlike the previous owner which never let it see rain much less snow). Traction is not a problem in ice and snow. This is the 40th Anniv. Roadster edition with a production of only 500 cars worldwide. The SL generates a lot of attention due to its unique color - crimson metallic, EVO II wheels and burled chestnut wood trim. The SL is rock solid at any speed, (over 135 mph) and handles very well. It provides excellent road feedback and is very comfortable on extended trips. With the wind screen and windows up at 70 mph, normal conversation is possible. Also, excellent Bose audio system with subwoofers. I can't think of anything I would improve on the SL other than thicker sway bars to prevent lean in corners. I find the SL more exciting to drive than my Porsche, and less expensive to maintain. Buying a used (pre-owned) M-B is an unbelievable investment. The best engineering and personal safety at the price of a Honda. I have owned 3 Honda's that each cost more to maintain than a M-B. Wife has a much newer Lexus that does not come close to the engineering and quality of a M-B. I have experienced 3 M-B dealerships and can only say that each has provided service beyond my expectations. I would recommend a M-B of any year or model (that has been properly maintained), as preferrable to purchasing a new car of another brand. We feel very safe in this SL. Other cars that I have owned: Chevy (4 - 50's), Honda (3), Lincoln, Triumph, Volvo (3), Toyota (2), Lexus, and Mercedes (2). Hope this helps.

Featured Services for this Mercedes-Benz SL-Class