1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

21 city / 29 hwy

Overall

Great little toy!

by John from Washington DC | March 4, 2015

I found one with only 27,000 miles (auto trans) on it. Being that old and with so little use, one shock absorber was noisy and so I did put new Bilstein B4 shocks on it. It runs flawlessly and it is a riot to drive. It seems very solid, handles curves tenaciously; nothing can keep up with it in the nearby mountains. Mine does not have seat heaters, a feature I really miss and I recommend anybody getting one to check for this feature if you are in northern latitudes. One weak area is the cockpit upholstery and door panels; some of the early ones deteriorated early, yet mine is fine so far. A good, low mileage one of these is an absolute bargain. Very little upkeep if you just follow the manual, which actually recommends oil changes every 13K miles. I don't go that far, maybe half that far and I use the best oil I can find. Over all. a sterling little car. Everybody thinks it is new, another advantage! Being supercharged and thus hard to not show off at times, mileage (prem. gas) varies from roughly 20-32 mpg. But hey, gas is the most insignificant cost of any car, so consider one! My sole complaint is the left seat belt is a bear to connect, being buried so close to the seat itself. If you don't close the door first and allow yourself a little wiggle room, you are fine, though.

Best Mercedes ever drove

by L.C. from San Diego, California | December 15, 2014

This car is beautiful. It defies time. It is agile, fast and safe plus so much fun to drive. The hardtop is safe and is powered. It comes down or up quickly. It is not very economical getting between 19 and 22 mpg. The premium Bose sound system is excellent. There doors are wide and the bucket seats are very comfortable. Mercedes Benz nailed it with this sport little car :)

Peppy and beautiful

by Love classic designs from Durham, NC | May 25, 2013

I am a large person, so the first thing I noticed were the two very wide doors. It is so easy to slide into compared to other two door sports cars. The engine is not overwhelming but powerful enough let you know it can accelerate hard, and with the supercharging can get you flying down the interstate quickly. I noticed that in cold weather the heater warms up almost immediately which makes the seat warmers almost unnecessary.. The Bose sound system must be the best on the market. I wish it were in my living room. Putting the top down took less than 30 seconds--I actually put it down while at a traffic light--real cool. The trunk could hold two medium sized suitcases, even with the top down. This is one classic car that is timeless in its design and performance. I'm glad I bought this one.

Make driving fun again

by Top Down Luxury from Maryland | April 12, 2013

This car is agile, fast and safe plus so much fun to drive. The hardtop is safe and is powered, so comes down or up quickly. It is also very economical getting between 22 and 30 mpg. The sound system is superbe with a Bose premium sound system. There are two very wide doors and large bucket seats for the stoutest fan. I may never give up my SLK.

Great car for money

by First maine from Portland Maine | August 27, 2012

A retractable hardtop is great. Up or down at a stoplight. At 69 years my wife and I can still get in and out easily as the doors open wide. I have looked at later model SLK's and their interior is much improved. This one is cheap materials and the last owner replaced door panels and console at 40,000 miles. I bought it with 42,000 miles. Over 30 mpg on the highway and mid 20s in town. I have been driving only MB since 1968. I loved my 190sl and the 230sl's I have owned. This one is as much fun but so much easier to operate. I have had 10 MB's with only one new in 1972 that I kept for 35 years. All great cars.

OK, so it was a "mid-life" car, i guess

by Gator Grad from Gainesville FL | April 28, 2012

I have thoroughly enjoyed this car. It has been quite reliable (hope I don't regret putting that in writing!), requiring only a few fixes, and otherwise just routing maintenance. Styling has held its appeal, and people still mistake it for a much later model. Fun to drive, more cockpit room than the BMW of that year, and as noted by other review, seems to handle/ride better at highway speeds. A little harsh around town, on rough roads. Very "basic" interior; not very sophisticated (e.g., not even power seats!). Little things -- like only one speed on variable wipers -- always seemed like needless skimping. But overall -- lotsa fun, continued admiring looks, and a good choice at a good price. Nice gas mileage. (Note: black on black a bad combination since we moved to Florida a year ago! But when it's clean and shiny, and the air is cool, ahhhh....)

Just a wonderful car

by mercedes sl & slk lover from brookings, or | April 24, 2007

purchased used with about 36000 miles on her a year ago. She's got 15000 more fun miles on her now. There's hardly a day that goes by that I don't take her out for my SLK fix. I still have an older 90 300sl, also a nice car to drive. But this SLK is just plain fun and actually feels more stable at speeds of 100+ than the sl. You only go around once in life and you can find a low mileage model slk for about 15 to 18k, so put a smile on your mug and get one. :)

Featured Services for this Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class