1999 Mercury Cougar

$628–$5,872

Overall

Great sports coupe

by SpanishCougar from Benidorm, Spain | September 29, 2013

I've bought this car second hand aout a year ago. So far it has only brought me joy. It's fun to drive, very comfortable, has plenty of power once you go above 3000rpm and looks good. Mechanically it is very reliable if you take care of it (I work at a garage). It's a nice car for long distance and more of a cruiser than an outright sportscar. You should always overfill oil slightly on the V6 to avoid engine problems. Check the rear axle when buying one, many seem to rust away.

Has electrical issues

by Duke Girl Forever from Raleigh NC | September 21, 2013

I, like another reveiwer, am on my 3rd alternator in 6 years. There is an electrical issue somewhere that no one seems to be able to pinpoint. The car belonged to my son, and he hated it from the beginning because the headlights (and dash lights) would "pulse" and it can be annoying. I drive it now and it doesn't bother me BUT the underlying cause does. No one can figure out why but having gone through 3 alternators I'm sorry to say it's time to move on. The car is stylish and comfortable but obviously has major issues. It also has some slippage in the transmission but so far, knock on wood, it's doing ok. I really wanted to keep it for a few more years but that last alternater was the breaking point for me.

Best Car I Could Imagine

by Cat from Ann Arbor, MI | January 18, 2013

I love this car. I own a 1999, and it's been in the family since it was new. First off--the exterior. The design is pretty sleek, and the front is completely unique. It's a fairly compact car, and it looks like it wouldn't hold much. However, the back seats fold down, and it's spacious enough to hold several bikes. The car drives very tight, much like more expensive cars. It sits low to the ground, so you really "feel" the road, which some don't like. The one recurring issue I've had is the alternator. I believe that its location causes it to get wet, and, well, I'm on my third. As far as repairs go, though, that's pretty reasonable for 14 years. All in all, I want to drive this car forever. If it dies, though, I may just have to buy another one.

found what I wanted

by okie from the mile high city | September 11, 2012

for a 13 year old car exceptional and found right in my back yard.not new england sporty and functional

CRAZY

by wts43 from Madison, WI | February 23, 2012

Proud owner for 5 years. SLEEK STYLISH AND RELIABLE. I cant believe how well this car performs for a low priced coupe. Slap some lowering springs on and you have a car that can KILL corners!

BLAST OFF

by Car Nut from MICH | February 3, 2011

Blows away the rice-burners and most domestics. Actually rides, turns and stops better too. Low insurance rates a bonus.

Cougar

by College Student from | January 24, 2011

I had problems with this car right off the bat and kept having them. Would never buy this car again.

Came back to bite me in the butt

by kolidge kid from AR | October 30, 2010

I always had a problem with my starter that was undefinable, so i had to deal with it. It is a fairly rough riding car. Now that I am 13 hours away from home at college, the transmission is done for.

My First Car

by Sal from New York | October 5, 2010

All in all this car was a lot of fun for me, there are a lot of custom options for the exterior of the car to make it look even nicer. I did a few performance upgrades. Intake and Exhaust gave the car alot more power combined with an underdrive pulley. I put lowering springs on it and also replaced the shocks/struts and to keep it even stiffer i put in front and rear strut braces, once the suspension was done this car cornered very very well at crusing speeds :) Small, Quick, and very comfortable ride made me very happy with my kitty. My only problem was the transmission. Got the original rebuilt and then got the rebuilt replaced. Car had low miles and although I didn't baby it, I also didn't abuse the the car so for the transmission to be replaced 2-3 times was very frustrating. If you buy this car I would have to say that you should get it in MANUAL because it is just way too fun to drive a small, quick, very manuverable car in automatic. I think that's where I went wrong. I'm 5'8" and the driver seat of this car was like a cockpit, everything easily viewable and reachable. Seat was very comfortable, and the moonroof and leather interior was great. The rear seats always got compliments from passengers for comfort.

Owned one for 6 yrs & loved it!

by Christie from Townsend, DE | October 31, 2009

I owned my '99 Cougar for 6 yrs. It was an awesome 1st car. Very reliable. Car is good on gas for a V6.

Featured Services for this Mercury Cougar