2001 Mercury Cougar

2001 Mercury Cougar
Available in 3 styles:  2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Coupe shown
$172–$7,372

Overall

Owned one for 7 years - 2001, 2.0, manual trans.

by Mike from Fargo, ND | March 21, 2014

There problems with this car - most of them minor and user-servicable: water pump, thermostat housing, ball joints, timing belt. Wear & tear stuff. I bought the car with 130,000 miles on it, so I expected to put some money into it. While the ride was choppy at times (sport suspension), the car handled beautifully at speed. And I loved the exterior design! Very unique and it turned heads. The interior was snug, though relatively quiet. The 5-speed was tight and accurate. Despite only 125hp, it could reach passing speeds with minimal effort. I loved this car. If you're in the market for one, avoid the highly problematic 6 cylinder/auto trans combo. While the 2.0 won't win any races, It's an extremely reliable and fuel efficient motor. Just traded mine towards a '11 Mazda 6. While I know it was the right decision, I really, really miss my '01 Cougar. Gorgeous car.

Worst car I've ever had

by Burned Motorist from Noblesville, IN | January 26, 2012

I've had six cars and this car is by far the worst I've had. I have had to put sooo much money into it's not even funny. Cadilidic converter, starter, thermostat, bulbs are constantly blowing. And it's actaully broke down right now and I don't know whats wrong with it. NEVER, EVER GET THIS CAR. The worst part is everytime it has broken down it has cost me extra to have it fixed because they no longer make the parts for this car.

'01 Cougar ZN

by 01c0ugarZN from Edmond, OK | August 11, 2011

I want to start off by saying that my car was totalled in May of 2011. Shortly after, I began shopping for a new car to replace the Cougar. Shortly after THAT, I came to the conclusion that there is no car for less than say, $6,000 that I can think of to successfully replace it. The car itself was great. My 2001 was a ZN, it had almost all factory options. The car itself is quite comfortable. I had the 17" premium wheels with 50 profile tires, the car was agile and sporty. Hardly ever lost traction when taking quick corners. The features were great, the leather seats, etc. stood up to wear and tear very well. Nice factory audio with 6 cd player, and just a pleasant vehicle to be in. Really suited for someone who needs a more practical fun car to drive. Most would say the back seat is not fit for humans, but, compared to my friends 2001 Ford Mustang, my back seat was actually more spacious, and comfortable(for me at least, Im 6"1'). The front though is very well suited for taller individuals. Fuel economy was decent. Light footed I can average around 18.5 mpg of 100% city on 87 octane. Highway around 27 - 28. The only thing I dont really like about this car, and I am QUITE picky, is the transmission. I had my automatic rebuilt(like most cougar owners) at 145K miles. The shifts are now sub par and it takes quite a long time to warm up and shift softly. Overall, A fantastic car to own and drive every day. If you are looking for something sporty, that you wont have to sacrifice economy and practicality to own, this is the car for you!. Although I still recommend the 5 speed transmission. Hope you found this review helpful :)

Fantastic Car

by Car Nut from Roseville, Mi. | May 16, 2011

Bought a used one and never made a better deal in my life. Car is comfortable, easy to see out of and rides well. Strong brakes, fast, and corners great. Oh yes, just got 31+ mpg on trip up to Caseville.

Teenage Daughter's Car

by Cougar Owner from Rock Hill, SC | February 19, 2011

We bought the Cougar used and it has been very reliable and only needed routine maintenance. It is still in excellent shape and she has really enjoyed driving it.

Good Car for New Driver

by Kool-Kid from | September 18, 2010

My sister got this car used when I was in the first or second grade. Today this car has 146k miles on it and is still a reliable car. She has recently given it to me and my brother as we are about to turn 16. It has never had any major problems or things that need to be repaired. It would be a great car for teenage girl, it just isn't really a guy car, but it is pretty reliable and great starter car for a new driver.

Worst Investment I've Ever Made

by Mercury Cougar Owner from Cedar Rapids, Iowa | November 22, 2008

I have owned my Cougar for about year and a half now and all we've had are problems. This car is one of the most unreliable cars you could ever have. Both me and my friend have both had many troubles with this car. It first started out with cruise control. After only having it for about 3 months the cruise control had stopped working and was not worth the money to fix. Once winter came around we started having problems with the starter (my friend also had to have the starter replaced in their cougar). When I went to start the car, it made one of the worst noises I have ever heard out of a car, like a child was screaming at top of their lungs, except ten times worse. After anywhere from two to ten times of turning the key over, the car would finally start. After it had being doing this consistently, we decided to get it fixed and cost 1400 DOLLARS!!! Not only did we have to replace the starter but also had to replace the flywheel which connects to the starter, or else the flywheel would have ruined the new starter. After getting the starter fixed, it started to make the terrible noise again after only a week! We are now deciding that this car is too unreliable for our teenage daughter to be driving, especially with Iowa winters coming up, and are getting rid of it. Overall this is one of the worst investments we could have ever made and I reccomend to stay clear from this car.

Wonderful car that continues to impress

by Workin' it from Central New Jersey | June 5, 2008

This has been a wonderful car to own. I average @34 miles to the gal. I have averaged 38 mpg on a trip to Ohio from NJ cruising 75 mph. This car has a 4 cyl. 5-speed manual trans. The seats are average at best. I will be having them done over with better foam and leather. This why I lowered the comfort rating. I bought it as a Quality Checked certified car. The quality of the interior vinyl is not what you find today. I am in the process of turning it into a tuner car for my son. It has 112,000 miles on it and has never let me down. It has had regular service and nothing else. As a hatchback, it offers great flexibility for carrying stuff.

Most Unreliable Car I've Ever Owned

by I hate Cougars from Canada | October 23, 2007

This car had one problem after the other. Its a 2001 and unfortunately, I didn't even get 100,000kms out of this car, because it had severe problems with the transmission and it was deemed not worth the money to fix it. (Not to mention problems with the brakes, and electrical features- such as speakers, CD player, air conditioning,etc.) This car cost me big time!

We Let the Cat out of the Bag This Time.

by BradZnavy from Virginia Beach, VA | September 10, 2007

My mom had a 2001 Cougar that was custom from the factory. It had everything but the sunroof. Either way it was a looker. It had these awesome looking chrome rims with the Cougar emblem, it had a four disk CD changer in the trunk and a cool overall design. Unfortunately my mom's Cat got clipped on the side one day while she was on her way to work. The repairs never made it exactly right again. The center console would vibrate. Then my folks moved to a town that was a further drive for my mom. So they traded it off for a new Taurus. I know that my mom still misses that car. It was gorgeous and it was immaculate.

Featured Services for this Mercury Cougar