2002 Mercury Cougar

Available in 5 styles:  2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Coupe shown

Overall

puts 20k miles less to atract people

by frankfort from frankfort | February 5, 2014

stop putting 20k miles less on every car you put for sell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Litter of Kittys

by Leogorge from Richmond, In | November 28, 2012

This is our 4th Cougar with the latest body style, 1999-2002. 3 stick 4 cylinders. and one automatic V-6 XR7. The 4 cyl. get great gas mileage, 40 hwy and 32 combined. 6 cylinder not as good but that is not what I bought her for. Nothing to do but minor work and maintaince on all. Love my Kittys.

Worst car I have ever owned

by Cougarowner1981 from Delran, NJ | June 27, 2010

It's a nice car and everything except, when I initially purchased it new, there was an air of unfinishedness about it. I am the owner of the XR special addition. As a brand new car in had the following problems: The little fiberglass scope on it had pain chipping underneath- like they overtighted the faux scope. The paint around the weld seams were not painted The lugnuts are cheesey cheap hollow metal (I suspect tin), Also you have aluminum rims touching steel components- that's rust waiting to happen. Around the interior dash, they left some sharp edges- armoralling the dash the first time left me with a nice scar on my hand. If you have any siatic nerve problems, this car aggravates it even more to the point that will make this car unbearable to drive or to be a passenger in. Around 2000 miles, the red dye on the leather started to come off. Do not use leather cleaner, only leather conditioner Around 6000 miles the thermostat went Around 35,000 miles the 6 CD changed started to jam up when ejecting a CD Around 40,000 miles all 3 window switches failed After that normal wear and tear repairs- watch out, shocks and struts for this car are expensive! Also the cost of replacing various things on this car is VERY, VERY expensive Window switches are about $50 each, and they will go every 2-3 years- Apparently from a mechanic this is a problem with a wire in the module that comes lose in 1999-2002 models Tires for this car are around $800, also if you kept the stock tires, watch out- Firestone Firehawks have really bad reviews If you have to but a rim, it's around $600 To fix/replace the CD player is $700 + labor If you want to keep it stock, and have to replace the windshield, add in another $200 for the Cougar logo. All and all, if you bought new, expect to have to put in around $10,000 into it in order to keep it up to being driven 5000 hrs or 100000 miles. My advice and learn from my mistake, when you hear a sound or need repairs, get rid of it, once one thing goes he car will fall apart within a year.

Get to Know a Mechanic

by NessaDiana from Madison, WI | June 19, 2010

This is my first car, manual transmission of course, and I got it at 17. Now at 21 I still love it, but it is very hard to fix. I date a mechanic (thank the Lord) and to fix it you have two options: 1) Try to do it yourself, but be prepared to take the entire engine apart to get to a small object. 2) Make the dealer do it, and pay a fat bill. For instance, a sensor in the car located on top of the engine in a Honda, is underneath the engine in a Cougar...and difficult to get to and replace. You will love it for it's sporty look and feel, but be prepared to do some heavy work for even the most basic repairs, or pay the dealership a lot to do so.

Worth More than a Honda

by C2 Cougar owner from Toppenish | June 3, 2010

I'veowned this car now for 2 years. Ive had little to no problems with it. Mind you it is a C2 model with a 5 speed manual transmission. I had the choice of this either this or an SRT4. I made the best choice and have not regretted this decision. And the Hondas of this year would love to grow and be this car. Has excellent pick up speed, great handling, and i love the sportyness as compared to other cars i tested before i bought this one. And believe me i test drove many different cars. Hondas, Chryslers, Mistubishies, and Nissans. in my opinion cant hold a torch to this vehicle.

Fun and Reliable

by Boarder1 from | March 11, 2010

I love my cougar. It is fast and the backseat area for a 2 door is impressive. Even the truck has a ton of space. A good sporty car for the price.

Dont get the automatic

by me from Omaha, NE | May 29, 2009

My only 2 complaints on this vehicle are the transmission and blind spots. The automatic transmission is complete garbage. The first trannys reverse went out at 40000. The second one blew a front seal on a 4 hour drive at 15000 on the replacement. It has never shifted right either. I bet 75 HP is lost in the tranny. Cant due much about the blind spots they are due to the spaceship looking exterior. If you want visibility by a sedan. If we got the 5 speed I dont think I would ever get rid of this car. Actually now that I have a kid, the seat in the rear is not one that falls into the ease of use category.

Very Quick CAR! Manuel is great and gets 30 MPG!!!

by Nitro2716 from Cincinnati, OH | December 5, 2008

I was handed down this car and I absolutely enjoy it. Your initial impression is that this car would be great for a female sports car. But let me tell you its fast, reliable, great cargo storage and fantastic MPG. I'm not sure there are to many "FUN" cars that get 30 mpg.

"The Best!"

by Cougar Lover from Florida | August 27, 2008

I owned a 2002 cougar for about five years. Unfortunately, it was recently totaled. I absolutely loved that car. I had no major problems with it. It drove well, the metalic paint always made it gleam, it also had a lot of nice features that are difficult to find in newer models. The trunk was huge and I loved the rear wiper. I am truly sad that mine could not be fixed. Although I have a new sports car, I would be tempted to buy another cougar if I could afford two cars. I would leave the new one sitting in the yard.

Nice Sports Car

by NAM from New Jersey | June 30, 2008

I have had no problem with the car at all and it is very reliable. i would highly recommend this to anybody and its really fast.

Featured Services for this Mercury Cougar