2002 Mercury Mountaineer

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Best Suv Ever

by Car Lover from New York, NY | July 10, 2013

I bought my 2002 mountaineer in 04 and i loved it ever since. With only 25,000 miles on it this truck it checked off everything that i was looking for in a midsize suv. Its spacious, comfortable, reliable and my family loves it as well especially when it comes to long distance driving this truck will get you where you need to be in the most comfortable way. With 160,000 miles on it now the truck still runs as great as it did when i first bought it. This proves that if you take care of your car it will take care of you. Im looking forward to many more years with this truck and i recommend it to anybody that is looking for a preowned midsize suv.

To many issues

by jbm1976 from Kittanning PA | May 25, 2013

I just bought this moutaineer and on my way home the check engine light came on and the od light started to flash. I looked the issue up online and it's a common issue. then i was making tight turns and it felt like it was gripping. looked it up online and another common issue. then I was going down the road a day or two later and a hear a crack from the back of the suv. i get out and dont see anything. then later that night i see the passengerside is sitting lower then the drivers side. Broken spring. looked it up online and another common issue. I bought a pair of rear quick struts to replace them both. as i was taking it apart it was already broken at the top of spring and it broke on the bottom of spring as well. upper break was all rusted like it was broken for some time. then i replaced the other side and it was also broken at the top of spring. It could or broken sideways and hit the tire making me wreck. I can't believe ford never had a recall on the springs. The one i bought has the tow package. But from what i am reading online dont tow anything heavy! weak transmissions and they wont last! My rear a/c was making clicking sound. 32 dollar part on ebay to repair that. not to bad. also lots of poeple with that issue online. another common issue. as for the flashing over drive light and check engine light. the transmissions are known to have Solenoid issues. most tranny shops want to replac the hole tranny at a high cost. This isn't needed all the time. You can just replace the Solenoid Block saving a lot of money. I did this repair myself. Still didnt get all wheel drive gripping issue fixed as of review! These are known for having to many issues. If i would of known about all these issues I would of passed on buying one. now for the features. 3rd row seating is nice but never used it.

Fun to drive, comfortable and reliable

by Loves sporty vehicles from | April 11, 2012

Bought my 2002 Mountaineer used in 2003 and have loved it & all the added extras. I commute 60 - 100 miles a day, 4 - 5 days a week, & mostly on the highway with all the cell phone & texting idiots, and I love the comfort & safety of driving this vehicle. Since going over 190, 000 miles, that's when expensive things have been occurring. Repaired the A/C, a valve cover spring, & other similar type issues. I feel all associated with the high mileage. I love this vehicle, but due to gas prices I'm looking at replacing my Mountaineer with the Edge. Smaller & better on gas & I'm sure I will love it just as much as my Mountaineer.

Most Unreliable Ever

by Lover of SUVs from Cincinnati | December 7, 2010

It was the most unreliable car I ever owned. Too bad, because I loved everything about it. In 99,000 miles, I had 22 repairs ... electricals, sensors, trim, wheel bearings, rear end, rear wiper motor ... just endless. Normal maintainence was inexpensive and reasonable, but with the 22 repairs on top of it ... never another Ford product.

love my Mountaineer!

by Kassi from Cali from Fresno, CA | August 24, 2010

I have never had a more comfortable, reliable vehicle. This car has been dependable and I had over 140k miles on it before some man plowed into me from behind. I cried when the insurance company told me it was a total loss. I wasn't ready to give it up and still not, but I have no choice. I just hope that the next vehicle I purchase will get me and my boys to the places we want to go and be so comfortable and spacious. There aren't a lot of Mountaineers out there, if you find one, snag it! You won't be sorry!

Good for my large family

by Mrs. H from Illinois | May 18, 2010

This vehicle came with low miles, & a decent price. It was well taken care of by the previous owner. It gets the same gas mileage as the smaller family van I had previously driven.

Wow, what a stinker

by Frustrated from Clear Lake, IA | May 2, 2010

This SUV listed out at $38000 when I bought it and it has cost me a ton in repairs. I am more than ready to trade it and now I find out it has no resale value.

Magestic Lion Look

by Olu from Hyattsville, MD | December 30, 2009

It's an impressive ride. Solid. Dependable if well taken care of. I have driven the AWD V8 through blizzards while other 4*4 SUVs were skidding. All cars have their weak point. So its always advisable to get extended warranty.

Too bad not better customer care

by former customer from Spring, Texas | February 14, 2009

We owned a Ford Explorer and the transmission went out literally just after the warranty expired. It was awful and after 2 rebuilt transmissions we gave up and decided to buy another suv. My husband still believed in Ford workmanship so he convinced me we should get the Mountaineer. It's a 2002 and I'll admit to loving the way it drives. It's pretty comfortable inside, but there is a little motor in the rear air that goes out every couple of years. First time it went out under warranty. After that we have had to pay 4 times to have it fixed. One of the service guys even admitted they have that part break all the time. However, the only help we ever received (and believe me I asked alot!) was the dealership we took it to for service gave us 10% off. I love those guys, but we will NEVER buy another Ford Mercury product.

I really like this truck but......

by CW from Ann Arbor | June 15, 2008

be prepared for a few common problems areas. These trucks have had a lot of issues with their transmission. When my transmission had to be rebuilt at 100k, I looked on the internet and it was a very common issue. Seems most vehicles have their weak spots, this one just happens to have an expensive one. On the bright side though, that is practically the only repair I have had to do other than routine maintenance and I'm pushing 150K now. I have really enjoyed the truck. It is comfortable, has tons of luxury options and is real fun to drive.

Featured Services for this Mercury Mountaineer