2003 Mercury Mountaineer

Available in 12 styles:  2003 Mercury Mountaineer AWD shown

Overall

Great for the family

by Boston girl from Boston, MA | March 18, 2014

We bought our Mountaineer used, it was 3 yrs old at the time of purchase. I believe it was a leased vehicle prior to us owning it. It has been a great truck, very reliable, and fits the family well. It has many added extras that we had never had in a vehicle before, now when I go to get another car, I will want these added extras- such as the outside keypad to unlock the doors- a must have for me!!! We have had a great experience with this truck, other than normal wear and tear (brakes, tires, etc). Our truck is now 11 years old, it has 135,000 miles on it. Still going strong!!! :)

Dishonest and Untrustworthy Dealer

by Professional from Pittsburgh, PA | February 7, 2014

Made an appointment to test drive a vehicle one day in advance. Owner advised that the business did not open until 3:00 pm and to arrive at that time. Arrived promptly at 3:00 pm for the test drive. Was advised by owner that he had just sold the SUV I was scheduled to test drive to the woman sitting right in front of me, wasting my time and money. If the business owner is this dishonest and cannot be trusted to keep an appointment that he committed to, I certainly DO NOT RECOMMEND that anyone trust him with their hard earned money!!!!

Love This Vehicle

by SUV Owner from Iowa | July 23, 2013

I love this vehicle! It is fast, comfortable, feature filled! I've had one of these for about a year, bought it used, and have had 0 problems with it, tires are still amazing, nothing wrong with it at all! I've read some reviews saying they're unreliable and need a lot of repairs and I see those as anomaly's not really the normal! It is hard on gas but it is a V8 and a big SUV so if you don't use it as your main travel vehicle then you need not worry. It is a beast in the snow, which we have a lot of in Iowa. 10 year old car and it still looks brand new, no rust, no visible wear, not sure if that's more of being well taken care of, or it's solidly built and doesn't wear easily! I would recommend this car in a heartbeat!

Love Hate Relationship with my Mountaineer

by Dissapointed SUV lover from Kansas City, MO | July 27, 2012

We purchased our '03 Mountaineer brand new - we needed the space and have heard many good things about Ford trucks. This is what we loved: leather heated seats, DVD rear entertainment system, AWD, comfortable and quite interior, CD changer, etc. this thing is loaded. Now for the negatives: we are now in our ninth year of ownership and we've put thousands of dollars in high dollar repairs into this vehicle. Multiple brakes, stabilizer sway bar, compressor (may be working on two here soon), a/c leaks, ruins tires at an alarming rate, strange crack that formed in the middle of the back hatch (seen on many older model Mountaineers and Explorers), just to name a few. Pouring at least $1-$2k a year into this vehicle is getting old. Want to get rid of it, but its paid off and very hard to find an decent priced SUV with the same features that we've come to love.

Reliable Sharp SUV

by Tara from Michigan | October 13, 2011

Excellent, reliable vehicle-great for traveling, tailgating, toting family to soccer or friends to Football games!

A great suv.

by Truck Fan from Nazareth,Texas | January 15, 2011

We bought the mountaineer to replace a blazer.The mountaineer gets just as good of gas mileage as the blazer did.The blazaer just had a six cylinder motor while the mountaineer has a eight cylinder motor.I drove the mountaineer on a trip and it got 23 miles to the gallon on gas.I really like the extra power of the eight cylinder.The mountaineer has plenty of room.It is great in snow.The only thing I really dislike about the mountaineer is the noise the awd makes at times but I heard it is normal.I would probably buy another one.

Great SUV

by Jane from Columbus, In | December 4, 2010

I have owned mine for years, its a 2003. It is not good on gas but it is one of the best vehicles I have ever had. It will plow through any heavy snow, it is safe, it will automatically switch to 4 wheel drive. Heated leather seats and luxury inside.

One of the worst!

by Loyal Ford Guy from Central, NJ | December 2, 2010

Bought from dealership used with 48,000 miles. Within 4 months, the CV joints were beginning to fail and would make a serious of loud and disturbing clunks in a slower speed turn. Dealership would not back it under warranty because it was not the engine or transmission (despite me getting a DRIVETRAIN warranty). The alternator also went within one week. I should have known when the battery was dead at the dealership but thought it could've been from sitting. They gave me a new one but I noticed my charge level gauge kept falling, eventually would have stalled engine if I didn't catch it. It's also a heavy SUV; it eats tires and brakes. All in all, had to get rid of it within 6 months because the dealership "couldn't let me drive it off the lot because it was unsafe" yet they wouldn't repair the $6,000 in work it needed under warranty. BTW, steering wheel volume/climate controls failed and needed to be replaced.

Best Car I've Owned

by MomOfWeeThree from Oklahoma | July 16, 2010

I am heartbroken that Ford won't be churning out more of these. As far as SUV's go, for a family of 3 kids this has all we could want. Stylish leather interior is easily wiped down, roomy seating for 7 but comfort seating for 6 (that first row is a bit too tight IMO for 3 kids). Daughter of a mechanic, the tip to a good car is good preventive maintenance. Now these are common to transmission issues with high mileage and mine has been from CA to OK to FL and everywhere in between - MANYYYYYY miles and yes, the trany has been replaced. But she runs like a top. That is part of being an older suv, not just with this model. "Bertha" as I lovingly refer to her is the best car I have ever owned. We put tons of miles on her with 3hr trips to and from Grandma's, vacations and everywhere in between. VERY reasonable on gas. Comfortable for long distance drives for front and back. Granted storage space isn't the best (that's a given with any 3rd row vehicle). But the seats are SIMPLE to lay flat for extra storage (Bulk groceries anyone) and my 5 yr old twins can easily lift and lower them. This is my FAVORITE car. I am on Cars.com because I was looking into a newer one. I would happily purchase this again and plan to.

diappointed

by mom2all4 from Manchester, Ia. | January 3, 2010

bought my 2003 about 9 months ago. Was having problems with it going into gear so took it in, transmission fluid severely burnt, smelled bad, now I need a new transmission at 106,000 miles, head gasket, and another gasket in the back of the engine. In this economy we needed a dependable vehicle, this was not it. We now have to include it in our bankruptcy. Not happy

Featured Services for this Mercury Mountaineer