1999 Mercury Mystique

$658–$5,002

Overall

great car

by many a cars owned! from Ipswich, Ma | September 2, 2012

I really don't like american cars, but this one made me feel differently about them. I truly like my Mystique for I have never had any problems with it. I hope to have it for a long time to come!

Can I Clone This Car?

by Satisfied Driver from Missouri | November 21, 2009

I bought my new 1999 Mystique in December of 1999. My model is the Sport edition with a 5 speed transmission. My car has 284,000 miles on it now, and still gets about 32 mpg (I drive mostly highway and rural). This vehicle has required NO repairs, despite the fact that I only give it minimal maintenance and change the oil only every 10,000 miles or so if she's lucky. I LOVE my Mystique and would love to clone it since she's putting on the miles and starting to act her age a bit. The only thing I was not pleased with was the interior; as someone else mentioned, the dashboard warped when the car was still new. This was repaired under recall at no cost to me and I haven't had any further problems. However, there are a few things that don't fit well like the plastic casing for the window controls on the door and the plastic around the light controls. Overall, I am quite pleased with the experience my car has given me. I still choose to drive it over the newer cars sitting in my driveway.

Good All Around Car

by Kansas Commuter from Manhattan, KS | March 12, 2009

I purchased my 1999 Mercury Mystique LS new in December 1998. I had previously owned a 1984 BMW 325e and I wanted a similar sized car with similar attributes -- excellent handling, good gas mileage, and a high level of amenities. The Mystique was the only car I found that gave me BMW qualities at less than half the price of a new BMW. I like the power and economy of the 2.5 L V-6 engine. I have the automatic transmission accompanied by virtually all options available on this model. I currently have 275,000 miles on my Mystique, and it still looks and runs good. I plan to keep it at least until 300,000 miles. I have had no problems and the only work that has been done is routine maintenance and replacement of wear-related parts like tires and brake pads. It still delivers close to 30 MPG on highway driving. Its a very comfortable car for my 100 mile daily commute to work. It delivers good gas mileage while still having the power, quietness, and smoothness of a V-6 engine. The handling is great, much better than other domestic compact cars. The interior is nicely trimmed in leather with faux wood trim accents. The bucket seats are comfortable. As I always travel alone, I can't offer any opinions on the back seats. I like the fold down rear seats, so you can load long objects like snow skies. All in all, it has provided me with a very comfortable car with a high level of luxuries while remaining easy to park and drive and delivering good gas mileage. I'd definitely buy another if these were still being sold by Mercury.

Myusterious Mystique

by Bob from MN | July 4, 2006

The car I own is the Mystique LS with the 2.5L 6 cyl. which has 15" alloy wheels, leather interior, and a spoiler. Front brakes are disc and rear drums. The 1999 model had some updates including increased leg space in the back seat. After 115,000 miles, the engine is still quiet and running well with the only major tune-up being replacement of the air intake valve. A transmission cooler was added after market and no serious transmission problems to report. The suspension is a bit bouncy and both front bearings needed replacement at about 50,000 miles. The dashboard buckled and deformed before 60,000 miles giving it an unattractive appearance yet it remains functional. Some electrical problems have turned up, especially after driving through wet conditions. Turn signal contacts wore out before 100,000 miles. No AC problems. Overall the car has decent accelleration, handles well, and has a reliable engine, but other parts of the car seem to wear out early such as the dashboard, wheel bearings, and shift actuator. Still fun to drive. I expect the car to last about another 50,000 miles.

Featured Services for this Mercury Mystique