1996 Mercury Sable

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Gas mileage

by J-money from Wisconsin | May 18, 2009

This is the perfect starter car for a kid with their license. the gas mileage is amazing and you feel like you can drive forever. If you are looking for a great car with better gas mileage, pick up a sable or a taurus

The Third Gen Sable

by BradZnavy from Virginia Beach, VA | September 10, 2007

I kind of think that the Third generation Sable was a bit of a stepchild. The first generation Taurus/Sable was a revolutionary car, the 93 model was just a bit more refined, but by 96 Ford didn't live up to the hype. My mother was driving a Dodge Caravan when she passed by a Mercury lot and saw a beautiful Green car coming off of the car hauler. Needless to say, my father and I are car guys and we went to investigate the next day. it was a nice little car, and my mom really liked it. So we bought it that same day. Then the problems began. I fault these mostly on the dealership in our town. The steering column would make a clicking noise when the car was turned hard to the right and the wheel would be released to the normal straight position. The dealership couldn't figure out what was wrong. So we finally decided to live with it. We moved to a different town and the dealership there downloaded some info the computer and she ran perfect. Other than that the air compressor died on it about six years after we bought it. The dashboard swelled out of place due to the heat and the front nose on the car had a bad paint fade. Other than that the large arm rest between the driver and passenger seats wore out really quick. Also, I was never able to convert the radio to a CD player due to the odd shape of it. It had it's positives, but the overall quality of the car wasn't as nice as the second generation. It didn't the power seat, or the extra controls for the radio. It drove great on the highway and it had plenty of cargo space. OVerall it was a good car. Still, I'd take a second generation over the 3rd any day.

long lasting. cheap to fix.

by cheap and long lasting cars from BUFFAL | July 11, 2007

Good car. not a good resale. but i have had it 8yrs and put 125,000 miles and had to but about $900 in to it.and it still has no rust on it. make some noies. but it drives nice.

Still drives like a champ.

by Buy Japanese from San Diego, CA | May 15, 2007

I inherited this car from my grandparents in 2000 with only 11,000 miles in it. I think that it was rarely driven over 45mph until I got it. It's very comfortable and a smooth ride. The biggest problem I've had with it is dealing with it is the dealership. The turn signal/ wiper switch wore out. I went in to get it replaced and they refused to do the repair without a $270 electrical diagnostic test. The test revealed..surprise...the signal/ wiper switch needed to be replaced. That is the only reason I won't recommend this vehicle.

Difficult to fix.

by Looking for a car that will treat me right! from Rosemount, Minnesota | May 1, 2007

My Sable never left me on the side of the road (knock on wood, I still own it) but I have been very unhappy with this vehicle. Fixing it was always quite expensive and when I asked the mechanic why, he said it was because of the "special" necesity required to maintan a Mercury. Something always seems to be wrong with it, and the car is only at 133,000 miles. My advice to anybody thinking about this car is to pay close attention to who previously owned the car. I am the third, and final owner of this car. My Sable is on it's second transmission and from what i've heard from my mechanic is that the mercury sable/ford taurus vehicles are known for needing major transmission work.

Featured Services for this Mercury Sable