Sister vehicle of the Ford Taurus, the Mercury Sable competes with other full-size sedans such as the Chevrolet Impala, Toyota Avalon, Chrysler 300 and Buick Lucerne. A 263-horsepower V-6 is standard, as is a six-speed automatic transmission. All-wheel drive is available. The Sable is available in base and Premier trim levels.
New for 2009
The Sable gets an electronic stability system standard, and there's also a new luxury VOGA option package.
With a low waterfall grille and headlights that arch onto the hood, the Sable looks like a larger version of Mercury's midsize Milan. The Sable measures 202.1 inches long, 74.5 inches wide and 61.5 inches tall. Alongside its competitors, the Sable is the widest and tallest. Its length is close to that of the Impala and Lucerne, and a few inches longer than the Avalon and 300.
- 17- or 18-inch wheels
- Aluminum side mirrors
- Chrome fog light borders
- LED taillamps
The five-passenger interior is available in two-tone leather upholstery with contrasting stitching. Ford's Sync, a hands-free communication and entertainment system, is also available. The optional VOGA package, available on the Premier version, adds Cashmere-colored custom leather seats and door inserts, chrome accent finishes and VOGA emblems and stitching throughout the vehicle.
- Optional heated seats
- Optional navigation system
- Cargo space is 21.2 cubic feet, which is larger than competitors' trunks
Under the Hood
There is one engine and one transmission available on the Sable.
- 263-hp, 3.5-liter V-6 with 249 pounds-feet of torque
- Six-speed automatic transmission
- Available all-wheel drive
Included is Ford's Safety Canopy, which can keep the curtain airbags inflated for several seconds during a rollover. A reverse sensing system is standard on Premier models. The now-standard SOS-Post Crash Alert system unlocks the doors and activates the horn and emergency flashers when airbags are deployed.
Other standard features on all models include:
- Four-wheel-disc antilock brakes
- Traction control
- AdvanceTrac electronic stability control
- Brake Assist (helps during emergency situations when maximum braking is needed)
- Side-impact airbags for front seats
- Side curtain airbags for both rows
Cars.com Expert Reviews
|Mike Hanley||Cars.com National||November 20, 2008|
|Cars.com Staff||Cars.com National||August 27, 2008|
Closest Dealers Listing this Car
Featured Services for the Mercury Sable
- Sell your current car quickly and easily on Cars.com.