2009 MINI Cooper S

26 city / 34 hwy

Overall

Good Fit

by PTL from Brighton, MI | September 16, 2014

-We purchased this car for my wife, who is a Realtor. She wanted something that fit her, is distinctive/memorable, and is fun to drive. She got all three! -My wife is 5'3" and in most cars, the seating is uncomfortable and the windshield post obscures her vision of the road while turning. The MiNI offers great vision of the road. Further, the controls are all reachable and easy to use. One of the features we like the most is the blue tooth phone connection. It is our first one. As a Realtor, she is always on the phone, so the hands free operation is wonderful. I find the car to be comfortable to sit in too (5'10"). When you are in it, it does not feel small, but peppy and confident on the road. The gas mileage is nice too. -The Mini Cooper S stands out in the crowd of cars with a distinctive sporty look. It sticks in your mind as cute and sporty, just like my wife! -Of course the car is fun to drive! It is nimble on the road, quick in the corners, and has strong acceleration when needed. -My wife loves the car!

Hardcore!

by JB21 from New Bedford, MA | August 7, 2013

This is one naughty car. It looks good, sounds badass, and tight tight tight! It's a great car to chuck around and about. Steering is super tight, body control is incredible for the class, engine though a bit rough, eager and willing. The chassis is really kind of something else, so planted and everything feels just very solid and stiff. It'll make a great track car. Having said that, there are, to my eyes, a few issues. One is the ride. I don't say it's uncomfortable, but it is a bit harsh. I don't mind that because the seats are really strangely comfortable. But I do mind it, especially with optional 17" rims, that it gets unsettled by bumps mid corner. The thing is, I think the chassis this good doesn't really need such an overly stiff suspension. As I said, the steering is nice , heavy and tight, very well planted, but unfortunately, there's not much feel from the front tires, which is strange. Overall, there is something a bit artificial about the driving dynamics - while it corners incredibly well, it's difficult to make it flow through a series of bend. It's different on track or familiar back roads, but when you don't know the road too well, it's just not quite sweet. VW GTI of the same era is better in that respect, that if you are half decent driver, GTI will let you find the rhythm, and hardly slower at all. Speaking of GTI of the same era, it does have better steering than Mini. You do feel as little from the front tires as Mini, but it's simply because GTI's chassis is less bothered, meaning less to communicate, so where it counts, GTI's helm is much more informative than Mini's, which I found a little strange, as Mini's helm feels a whole lot tighter. Interior is a bit fussy, ad build quality is slightly questionable. There's good amount of wind noise from sunroof when closed (since new), and door panel squeaks after 25k miles, now driver side window makes funny noise as it goes up and down. And one more thing, I just don't understand the existence of sport button in a car like this. I mean, when in normal mode, the throttle response is absolutely lazy, nothing that I would want from such a sporty car. Why isn't it always in sport mode? It's an awesome car, I'm glad that I get to drive one on regular basis, but slightly let down by the fact that there's something slightly artificial about the driving experience, like it's trying too hard. But then again, it's still a wicked blast.

So Much Fun to Drive!

by MINI enthusiast from Akron OH | December 16, 2012

I love driving my MINI! She is a lot of fun, handles terrifically and gets great gas mileage - I'm averaging about 32mi / gal. I would only recommend purchasing a manual as it makes the experience that much more fun.

2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible

by Mini Owner from Jacksonville, FL | September 24, 2012

Smooth, peppy car. Nice features. Handles nice and quite a bit of pep for a 4 cylinder. 33 mpg even when driving fun. Top open/close is easy. If you want Bluetooth make sure it is installed, not just on the wheel and Audio area. Would have been nice but still have the Aux. to use. Enjoyable car.

Fun tossable car with some issues

by urbancynic from Phoenix, AZ | September 1, 2012

My wife bought an 09 Mini Cooper S a few months back. I thought it was quite a fun car even in automatic form. Exterior design is what I expect from Mini. Styling is actually quite nice. Interior design feels a bit cheap with hard, ill-fitting plastics. Ride quality is a bit stiffer than I would expect from a modern car, even a sporty one. The stereo layout in the Mini just doesn't seem right being integrated into the giant speedometer. The rear seats are useable if you are 6'0" or under and the people in front are of similar build. Mechanically the transmission is very good for an automatic in a sporty car. The engine has more than enough power for the day to day grind. The only downfall is the carbon build up issue inherent with all direct-injection motors (not just Mini's). When it comes right down to it, there isn't anything you can do to stop it, just slow it down. To slow it down, drive it like it begs to be driven, use premium quality fuel, fuel treatment additives, and maybe install an oil catch can. However, expensive cleanings will eventually be required. Good thing Mini has rectified this issue on the 2011 and newer Cooper S's. If you wish to avoid this, you always have the option of going to a standard Cooper. They don't exhibit these issues. Overall it is a very fun car. So fun that the 24mpg city is acceptable out of a car this size. However I wouldn't own a 2009 out of warranty.

First new Mini since 1970!!

by Minimotor from Corvallis Oregon | April 9, 2012

Never had enough money to buy a Cooper S when I was stationed in the UK in the 70's but I did own a used Mini for a couple of years back then. A 1965 model I think. I just love this new version. It's creepy to think about roaring around the back roads of ENGLAND on those 10 inch wheels and drum brakes and the the quirky gear shift. Every puddle brought the car to a complete stop because of where the distributor was mounted just behind the grill!! Thank you BMW for bringing the car back!!!!!!

Get in gear

by Zoom-Zoom from Victoria, TX | February 14, 2012

I found my 2009 Mini Cooper S from this site and I couldn't be happier! I got a great deal and I have never gotten so many compliments from people before! I have no regrets about my purchase and would recommend a Mini for anyone looking for something fun, affordable, and overall great handling!

Feel Good Vehicle

by JTM964 from Dallas | October 25, 2011

The Mini is really a feel good vehicle for the everyday "chore" of driving to places. Its fun to drive, its small and nimble, it handles well , it goes where you point it. I have owned many "serious" sport cars and this mini JCW just give me a smile every time I drive it. Thumbs way up !!

Extremely fun to drive

by Mini of another sort from Missoula, Montana | September 26, 2011

This car is extremely responsive: steering/handling, acceleration, braking, and the manual shifting is very smooth. The turbo makes this car very fast. Lots of leg room for tall folks (I'm 6'2") and with the back seats folded down not bad storage. I"m using it as a commuter car and am averaging about 37 mpg with 80% highway and 20% city and easy driving. My only problem is that its too fun to romp on this thing-way too much fun!

Personality Plus

by HoneyPie from New Windsor, NY | May 22, 2011

Great, quirky, cool car. I gave it 5 stars for comfort, because although not a luxury feel, you really become one with the car, and it is a comfortable car for its size. Very fast, very sturdy, very fun to drive, handles really well. It is not a luxury car ride; if you want that, this isn't for you. There is quite a bit of road feel. I would buy another in a minute.