1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Engine Troubles Galore.

by Car Enthusiast from VA | July 2, 2006

I bought my 1992 2.0L NT Eclipse used back in 2000 with only 33k miles on the clock. It now has 88k miles on the motor and it is sitting at 90 PSI across all 4 Cylinders. The car ran great until it reached 60k miles, then after that everything went downhill and fast. Here is a list of things that I had to replace because they broke on this car: 1. Driver rear caliper - seized on me and caused the car to fishtail into my driveway. Needless to say I had to replace the whole caliper assembly. 2. Transmission developed a hairline crack all across the inner bell housing causing the car to leak transmission fluid like crazy - had to have a rebuilt one put in for $1500 USD. 3. TPS sensor fried on me (they aren't cheap either almost 200 USD at the dealer.) 4. ISC fried on me (another $250 USD) 5. ECU blew up on me - the first generation of DSMs are notorious for having the capicators leak on the ECU - which in turn cause the ECU to short out. 6. Automatic tensior went out on my timing belt and caused the timing belt to skip some teeth and bend 8 intake valves in the process. 8. AC Compressor crapped out at 60k miles. The list goes on and on, this car indeed is one big money pit. the 4G63 is a good engine though - I am running at 90 PSI across the board and still average 27-28 MPG. These cars are just really maintenance focused cars. If you want to buy a car to just enjoy and drive, then I would look elsewhere. IF you purchase one of these cars, it would be a good idea to have a small fortune in your checking account to cover any repairs on this car. In 2005 alone, something broke on my car every month. Now I don't know if I got a defective DSM model, but Mitsubishi has definately left a sour taste in my mouth. Needless to say, I will never purchase any Mitsu model (used or new) again. On a lighter note - the car is a blast to drive when it actually runs right - which is very seldom.

Fun to drive

by Eclipse Fan from Woodbridge, VA | May 19, 2006

Believe me this is a great little car for the money. They ARE reliable if you perform proper regular preventative maintenance, and use supreme (93 or 91 octane gas.) Also something cars.com does not mention is the safety recall issued for all All Wheel Drive Eclipses/Talons/Lasers from 1990-1999 due to a leaky transfer case. It can lock up and send you into a curb at 50 mph (believe me I know.)

Featured Services for this Mitsubishi Eclipse