See Also: 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Great Car

by Me from Myrtle Beach, SC | February 4, 2012

I bought my 1997 eclipse rs in 2004 for $4,000. It had 117,000 miles on it when I bought it and 240,000 miles on it when I sold it in 2011. It got GREAT gas mileage and never failed to let me down. I used to drive the heck out of this car! Only after about 200,00 miles is when it started having a few issues. Still, I had only put about $1,500 in repairs to it all total. I had never thought about buying a Mitsu before, but now i would buy another one again in a heartbeat! The only reason why i sold it is because I had a child.. if your thinking about getting an eclipse.. go for it!

Most Reliable And Fun Car I've Owned

by Beth from Texarkana, AR | August 20, 2011

I'm a second owner of this same car with the only difference being mine is manual 5 spd. with leather interior and seats. I've owned mine since 2003, and to date I've only had to replace the fuel pump, battery and a couple hoses. I do maintain it well. It had 72,000 original miles when I bought it and it just now hit 150,000. With ultra performance tires this car handles like a dream. Directional tread Hankook tires truly have helped with hydroplane issues which I had in the beginning. The inifinity stereo system has been a big plus. Sunroof/Moonroof hasn't ever leaked. The clear coat is just now wearing off exterior and I am planning to repaint this rare gem soon. Going back with the original Serano Red paint. I have had to replace the driver side exterior door handle twice, but overall it's been an excellent car, and a fun to drive 5 spd. on those curvey, mountainous roads. Mine averages about 32-34 on highway and about 30 in the city. : )

Good lil car

by Eclipsedriver from Edgewood, NM | July 27, 2011

I've owned my 97 eclipse for awhile now and it has never let me down love the exterior of the car I put projector headlights on it and also a few other things as well. I don't really like the automatic transmission that comes with the car but The 5 speed manual is amazing to drive the only problem about the 5 speed transmission is that is only 5 speed! The car feels like it needs another gear and you can feel it when you drive it on the freeway. So that one downside the other downside is it dose not have a lot of room space inside the car. But besides that it has never broken down on me and I drive about 60 miles every day with that car my car has about 142,000 miles and still has lots of power can see this car lasting over 200k miles but I probable won't get that far since the interior is just a lil too small for me.

i have a use 1997 mitsubishi eclipse its the best

by jose l. from worcester,ma | June 29, 2011

ita the best car i had good in gas great performance i recommend any one how want a low price sport car to buy one i am so happy with mine

What a first car

by Slider6 from Naples, Fl | February 9, 2011

I bought a '97 Eclipse from a friend of mine in my senior year of high school in 2000. It was red, had about 65,000 miles on it, and a small ding in the driver's door. I took that car on a road trip that summer with my best friend, and found it much more reliable than I would have expected from an Eclipse. However, after about my second year of owning this car, it started to develop problems, such as the engine would overheat, the material on the seats wearing down, and a myriad of small issues of the like. I finally traded it in in 2003 for a 2002 Pontiac Firebird. As much as i loved my new car, I still missed that old Eclipse, and I'm currently saving some money to try to find one that's in good condition to get that feel back that I got during that first summer with it.

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS convertible

by Jeff from United States | April 6, 2010

I purchased a used 1997 Eclipse GS Spyder back in '01 and drove it for a couple of years. To be frank, it was the worst car I've ever had the misfortune to own. It's a gorgeous car. I still consider it to be one of the most attractive cars ever, but I'd never own another GS. For starters, the 4G64 2.4L engine was garbage. It only produced about 140 HP, which wasn't enough to move in a spirited fashion. It also came with a lousy automatic ... both the engine and transmission failed catastrophically at different times before reaching 70k miles. I'd believe the previous owner might have damaged it by overrevving, but that's tough to do with an automatic transmission. Other than that it has rear drum brakes and a leaky convertible top. The body cladding fell off the driver's side. It seems very cheaply made and has turned me off from Mitsubishi forever ... unless I could find a good 2nd gen eclipse GSX. Did I mention that I thought it was a gorgeous car? The turbo engine and manual transmission would make it a different car and likely more reliable.

Best performance

by Daily Driven Racer - Michael from Miami, FL | October 26, 2009

I've had two eclipse spyders, my first was a 96 GS, my current is a 97 GS-T. I bought it from an older couple that has kept it in a garage for a few years now and they bought the eclipse brand new in 1997, original owners. When I bought the car it held up to a 3 hour drive home, and ofcourse after that I did the maintenance(fluids, belts) and now its running top shape. Currently I'm modding up the engine. The car has been reliable even when driven full throttle. Excellent car by mitsubishi just as any of their performance cars.

never runs

by work on daily from middle tn | October 14, 2009

I own a 97 gst and within the first hour of owning i had a rod knock and headgasket blow. I didnt even get to get up to any kind of speed or anything. I found this out to be crankwalk ( anyone looking to buy a gst or gsx should research this first!) I have purchased a new motor , but built it this time around with a 6 bolt from an earlier model turbo eclipse. I have goen through several alternators and a starter. Broken 2 axles and the A/c only worked for a month. Maybe my car is the christine , but it always needs some kind of attention to run right. Dont get me wrong its a blast to drive especially now that i have right around 320hp it just needs alot of attention and keep up with maintence! Do NOT buy one unless you have it checked out by a mechanic first would be my suggestion.

Excellent Car, GS Spyder

by The Car Guy from Erie, Pa | September 30, 2009

This was the best car I have ever owned, and I really regret selling it. Excellent gas mileage for the performance. The exterior design was far ahead of its time, if they brought it back it would put Mitsubishi sales above Toyota's for sure. The interior wasn't comfortable, but the feeling of the components and the placement provide an awesome driving experience. The only problem that I had was the top leaked when the roof became saturated. It was the original roof and the car was ten years old. I would suggest this car to everyone who wants to enjoy driving. It really does make "just getting around" very exciting.

Don't buy one in black!!!

by bowtie420 from Rahway, NJ | May 29, 2009

Ok... So I have no paint on my roof and surfaces on the body where there are suspension points meeting the skin surface. Bought it for 1.9K as a NE car with 140K on it. Be ready to repaint any car originally shot in Black, I here this is a "common" complaint.. Otherwise: I own a '97 RS(420a+Auto+Baseinterior): I LOVE driving it. Nothing better than driving a SLOW car FAST. The 420a is sufficient (especially w/. manual) but the 4G63 is preferable for performance. Currently have 190K on odmtr, feed it a supplemnt of STP oil treatment w./ oil change. Regular maintenance and it's TONS of fun to take around corners. Spend money on tires, and motor mounts, Then beat the crud outta them!!!

Featured Services for this Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder