See Also: 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder

Available in 4 styles:  Eclipse 2dr Coupe shown

Overall

First and last Mitsubishi

by Thomas from | April 16, 2014

I bought my 03 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS in June of 2011. Make sure if you get one used that you have it thoroughly checked out. Have the mechanic inspect every single inch of it before you purchase it. I was completely ecstatic about getting mine and I was in love with it. That quickly changed. Over the course of the last 3 years I have had so many repairs. The fuel gauge and temperature gauge are inaccurate. Two of the valves cracked in the engine after owning for a short period of time. The air conditioning stopped working 1 month after owning the car. I've taken it to the shop numerous times and it still won't blow cold air out. As for the heat, it started going out in Winter of 2012. This past winter was brutal and the heat was completely out. I no longer have heat or air conditioning in the car and none of the repair shops I've taken it to can figure out what is wrong with it. My car zaps batteries like crazy seeing as I've replaced the battery 3 times since I've owned the car. Recently when I pull the car into neutral it dies. I'm not sure what the cause of this is yet. On top of this, I have small issues that pop up left and right. Aesthetically, the exterior of the car is very sharp looking. It's sleek and overall I really love the shape. Be careful of the exterior paint because Eclipses' paint are known to chip. I'm not so much of a fan for the interior. I'm 6'2 and it's very cramped for me. Everything is very compact on the inside. It seats two adults somewhat comfortably. Any more and everyone is uncomfortable. Another thing to watch out for is the dashboard. It's made of plastic and with the sun being on it and the various temperatures though out the seasons causes it to stress and cracked. This is another common issue among Eclipses. The best thing for me about this car is the fuel economy. In the city I average around 22 to 25 mpg. When I have a combination of city and highway I get 25-28 mpg. Strictly highway use I average 28-33 mpg. This is the first and last Mitsubishi I will ever own. This car has been a complete headache when it comes to repairs. If you have money for the repairs and want something small and cute with good gas mileage, get one of these. If not, find something worth your money.

Can be good, Can be awful

by Jacob from Texas | January 24, 2014

I've had my 2003 eclipse GS for about a year and a half. The thing with this car is that most of the owners of these cars don't seem to maintain them properly. There are few eclipses that have been taken very good care of. Many owners drive them hard. Quickly accelerating and turning fast and braking hard because they think their 4 cylinder with a nice exhaust sound is a true sports car. When I purchased mine, I got it from a high school girl. Big mistake. I assumed her father had maintained it for her but it seems that he just let her drive it and didn't put money into repairs, since he bought her a new car for college. It drove perfectly when I try drove it. I bought it after having my mechanic say it was mechanically sound. Within 6 months the valve covers started leaking oil, two engine mounts needed to be replaced, radiator cracked, and the transmission started slipping. All at 95k miles. If you are thinking of buying an eclipse I would strongly recommend you do a VERY THOROUGH inspection of the car. Some can be amazing and reliable. Many are abused and not maintained well by their owners. I do not expect mine to make it to 170k

Test Drive

by Jonathon from | October 6, 2013

The Vehicle is in good Condition. When I was driving it I felt like i was in my old Mitsubishi Eclipse back in CA I just wish the Other would let me get a one....

sporty

by IzzyT from Oakdale,MN | September 21, 2013

This a a great vehicle to own as a teen, this is the first car I have bought being 17 and all. But over all it handles very great and the design of the car is sexy. Every time I drive around my high school, both guys and girls openly yell out nice car or even I wish I had that car as I drive by. This is a lovable car but you have to take good care of it in order for it to take care of u. Something the old owner didn't know.

Great Car, Good memories

by Avid Car Fanatic from Columbia Station, Oh | July 2, 2013

My mother picked this car out for me as a replacement car for my Grand Am. I at first wasn't sure because I have always been an SUV fan, but seriously I loved this car every day I had it. This car even though it is a sports car did GREAT in the winter time (with the help of snow tires) and was just an awesome car to cruise around town. I loved rolling around with the windows down and the sunroof open! It handled corners wonderfully, had great stopping power, and even accelerated smoothly (it was the 2.4 liter 4 cyl). This car rules!

mitsubishi

by Caar from Palmdale, CA | May 8, 2013

Excellent car. Very comfortable, gas saver, convertible, lots of fun for summer, interior is very nice and sexy, Automatic transmission smooth and powerful

Amazing Car!!

by Karlee from Houston,Texas | March 14, 2013

I bought at a silver 2004 Eclipse RS with 52,000 miles on it in 2009. This was my first car, I couldn't have asked for a better one. Fast forward to 2013. I have had no problems whatsoever with this car. Of course, I've had to replace the blinker lights a few times, but that's it. It accelerates fast and hugs curves in the road nicely. It feels heavy to drive (which is nice because it feels like you have some power beneath and you're trapped in a tin can), but goes fast at the same time. I have a V4 engine, but most of my friends believe it is a V6, that's how well it accelerates. The paint on my car looks awesome. I kept it outside for 7 months while I lived in Florida, and the damage the sun did was yellow the headlights, but they are still crystal clear. Whenever I wax it, people cannot believe that the paint job on my car is almost 10 years old. My interior has held up well also. The drivers seat is starting to get a few tears in it, but other than that everything still looks brand new. This car is an amazing first car that is fun to drive and affordable. LOVE IT!

Worth The Trouble

by ianrover from Ravenna, OH | November 27, 2012

Bought a 2003 GT about 4 months ago. I absolutely love driving this car. Took it on a 12 hour trip and I was comfy the entire way. Everybody loves how the car looks and love going for rides in it. Although I do enjoy it, it does seem to have problems. Had to replace the flex pipe for the exhaust, the transmission is starting to slip, it gets 19mpg on premium (kinda my fault), it leaks through the trunk, and I had to replace some suspension stabilizers in the back. Like the title says though, I believe it's worth the repairs. I plan on adding a lot of things to it. So I hope I have it a long time! I would say if you're looking to buy one of these, make sure you get one with under 75k miles on it.

Its for sale !

by Cheeze from Arizona | November 8, 2012

Very reliable and good looking car for the money. I have had no problems. Love the car but time to sell. Check it out on cars.com with 31k on it.

Turn49

by Mr.jimmy from Albuquerque,nm | September 1, 2012

We got the car to ack like kids again and it works for us! Top down and let the fun start and it does it fast and handles like a dream.

Featured Services for this Mitsubishi Eclipse