2014 Mitsubishi Mirage

34 city / 42 hwy

Overall

Environmentalists rejoice!

by Scientist In 50s from Albuquerque, NM | October 14, 2014

In the early 90s there were nice 5-passenger cars that got over 23 km/l (54 mpg). The only cars that have come close since then are hybrids that weigh 400 kg (880 lb.) more and most of that weight is toxic waste - the batteries. Hallelujah, we now have the new Mirage! It is the ONLY car in its class in North America in 2014. Other "small" non-hybrid, 5-passenger cars do not have acceptable fuel economy. I have the model with a CVT and cruise control. Over several tanks of gasoline it has gotten 20 km/l (47 mpg) for driving 65 mph and slower combined rural and Albuquerque driving. At Western US highway speeds 110 to 120 km/h (70 to 75 mph), with a full load and the air conditioner running in the summer, it got about 16.6 km/l (39 mpg). The Mirage is still a bit over powered for those of us who want a fuel efficient car. It can climb a 6% grade at 120 km/h (75 mph) with a full load at 1700 m (5600 ft) elevation — with alacrity. It would achieve better fuel economy if it could not do that. Engines achieve their best efficiency at just below their maximum power output, so if an engine can accomplish this feat it means that most of the time it is operating with lower efficiency at a fraction of its maximum power. I calculate that just overcoming the wind drag and raising the weight for this feat requires 50 kW (66 hp), so the engine is probably more powerful than its rating, 56 kW (74 hp). If the car were a bit longer and more tapered in the back (more cargo space!), for even lower drag coefficient, and had less power, it might get near 24 km/l (56 mpg). Perhaps in future models . . . Drivability: It is a tad too peppy, handles beautifully with tight steering and stable suspension. It rides smooth and is quiet inside. The air conditioner will keep you cool crossing deserts at midday in the summer. The defroster is almost instant. The seats are very comfortable. I have a funky lower back and can go on long trips with no modification to the seat. The dash is beautifully laid out. The dial-style speedometer and tachometer are in front of the driver. Unlike other "small" cars I have rented, nothing pokes you in the knees. The Mirage is totally cute and comes in fantastic bright colors in addition to sedate ones. I obviously disagree with "professional" reviewers who pan this car. Imagine complaining that a car takes 12 seconds to accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h! Either the reviewer doesn't understand beans about fuel economy or he/she thinks we should drive around in over-powered cars to squander fuel for the occasional thrill of feeling our backs pressed against the seat. Minor problems: The suspension makes an annoying "bang" when it goes over a big bump. The noise might make one uneasy on rugged dirt roads. I had a tire pressure sensor break off inside a tire when I got a flat. Although one can buy an aftermarket sensor that should work for about $37, the dealership is the only shop that can program it. They wanted $51 to try to program it and pretty much said it would not work, they would charge me, and that I would still have to buy the Mitsubishi sensor for (over $140!) and have it installed and programmed. $220! They insist on charging me even though a flat tire should not break off one's pressure sensor. A rather sick thought is that if I want a set of snow tires on separate wheels, it will cost an EXTRA $880 to have the pressor sensor system work. Humorously, they tried to program the Mitsubishi pressure sensors, failed, and asked me to come back when I could leave the car with them all day. There is an obnoxious "ECO" light on the dashboard that is supposed to tell one when one is driving fuel efficiently. It turns off and on mimicking a turn signal indicator and it is incorrect. It goes off when one is climbing a hill efficiently and stays on when one applies the break. The dealer serviceman says there is no way to turn it off. He also says there is no way I can get a service manual for this car. To the dealer's credit, their price for synthetic 0W-20 oil and genuine Mitsubishi oil filters is competitive with discount auto stores. Way to go.

Excellent Car

by Sherry from Frederick, MD | August 24, 2014

I love this car. The gas mileage is incredible and it drives well. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Surprisingly Good Car

by Mileage Man from Fredericksburg, va. | August 23, 2014

This car comes in new at a price I can pay cash for. I have driven it on backstreets, heavy traffic, steep hills, and going on uphill ramps onto merciless interstate traffic. I had no trouble driving the car in any driving situation. I have a Mazda MX-5 Miata and of course the Miata out performs it but I found the Mirage's performance fun to compare when you look at the price. It's an excellent 3 cylinder engine that you can be proud of and the money you are saving. For the low price you get great interior climate control, power windows, nice sound system with usb and ipod inserts. The body styling for this car was made primarily made for aerodynamics and I could tell that on the interstate which is always a major plus. I've had all sized cars, even a Ford Festiva for years and the ride and comfort is far better and more roomey. It's an economy car, but maybe the best value I have seen in an economy car sold in America.

Gas mileage slightly misleading

by Cheap A to B car from Lake Placid, FL | July 22, 2014

I am satisfied with the car overall, BUT I bought this car for 2 reasons: Price and Gas Mileage. The price is by far the best reason to get this car and for the money a great car. Now about that gas mileage, I do 90% of my driving on the highway and I have to work real hard to get 40 mpg. This means driving under the speed limit on most of my travels and when accelerating creeping like a cat! Most of the time I'm getting 37 to 38 mpg because I'm not sure if they know, but we now do 65 on most highways. I know this is not a major difference, but for people buying this car for the gas mileage this is info I think you should know. Like I said in the beginning I am satisfied with the vehicle and would recommend to a friend, but this is the info I would relay to them. Oh and get a mirror for passenger side visor or the wife is going to be mad!

Good cheap little car

by Canadian Truck driver from Vancouver, BC | June 25, 2014

I bought this little car for my wife so she would stop driving my Dodge Ram 3500. The Mirage gets her back and forth to work and around town with the kids for a lot cheaper than we could do it in my truck. I have driven her car a few times and I am 6' 3" and can still fit in it and have driven it to Seattle (about 3 hours away). It has the power you would expect from a 3 cylinder. It's not a sports car but we save enough money driving it that we can now buy other toys.

Greatest gas mileage

by Teritootles from Caliente,CA | May 14, 2014

Really enjoy this car. I drive over 100 a day, on the Hwy and mountain roads.Great on gas nice smooth ride...plus its Red!

Junk

by Vince from Canada | May 14, 2014

stupidly loud engine sounds like a chainsaw is constantly annoying, and sounds like it wants to explode. The interior rattles over ever bump, steering is way to light, causing unexpected sharp turns and over steer. The dumbest possible controls you can get. Save yourself the agony and just go buy a Hyundai if you want fuel efficiency, got a new rental 8 hours after having this pile, same problems with the second one. Mitsubishi lives up to their reputation of junk cars again!

Great Value

by Kirk from Dallas, TX | April 26, 2014

Unbelievably low price of 13,300, loaded. Very reliablye and awesome gas mileage IF you drive reasonably and gradual acceleration. The divergence between "hot rodding" gas mileage and "taking it easy" gas mileage is larger than any other vehicle I have owned. I have gotten 60+ on long trips going 55 mph, but only 30 mpg driving like a maniac.

What a Relief!

by ssbtrk from Ridgway, CO | April 26, 2014

This was the best and easiest experience I've ever had buying a car! The car has everything you need inside at the base model and has a surprising amount of room inside. The model I purchased is a stick shift, so the 'slow start' doesn't bother me at all. Also, I think the complaints of too much engine noise are overrated...don't notice it at all when I'm listening to music or podcasts, which is almost all the time. I got the red model which makes it very stylish. It can easily maintain speed and maneuver into areas and parking spaces my old car could not. I would recommend Christopher's Dodge World (MH) to purchase you Mirage in a heartbeat. I purchased my Mitsubishi Mirage through the internet. I especially liked that everything was straight forward (just taxes and normal dealer fees) and above board (unlike other dealers that had "hidden fees" even though I was looking at specific vehicles w/VIN #'s). The process was quick and easy...picked the car on a Saturday afternoon and it was delivered the following Wednesday with paperwork ready to go-- when it would fit into my work schedule. I will recommend the same car and process to my daughter when she is ready to buy her car.

Economist

by Economist from Jacksonville, FL | April 10, 2014

I love the car. The seats are black and purple so I felf I had to buy a black car. The other model the seat were silver and black but I couldn't get the features I wanted.