1996 Mitsubishi Montero

See Photos & Videos

Overall

1996 Mitsubishi Montero LS

by Whitney from Clearwater, FL | April 23, 2014

I think this is the best 90s SUV for the money. I purchased mine a couple of months ago as a second car to my 2013 Caddy to pull my waverunners. Tfunny thing is I prefer to drive the Montero LS over the Caddy. The Mits drives perfect with 155k, no leaks, super cold AC, and fun to drive. I will own the car forever. It you see a nice one that has been taken care of, buy it. I like the Landcruiser better, but you can buy two Montero's for the price on one Landcruiser.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Very Reliable Suv

by Chiran from Rowland Heights, CA | December 25, 2012

WE have had this car since May 2011 and got it from a friend with 162K miles, Today on 24 Dec 2012 it has 196k miles. Drove it a lot and took 80 to 250 miles trips and mainly did city driving in it and love it. It drives, I guess just like it was when new. Some minor problems are that some electronics failed over the time. All i had to do was change oil, brake pads and this car runs like a charm. The only thing i have to take care of nowadays is that it burns oil so i have to check it every couple weeks but it is a very reliable and a fun car if driven and maintained over the time.

Owned since 1996 and going strong!

by TheBob912 from Virginia - Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns. | February 7, 2012

Although we now only use "Monty" as our "third car" in recent years, this vehicle has proven to be sturdy and consistently reliable. It has never been stored indoors and still has a great finish. The seats remain firm and comfy and the material is just like new (except where we have stained them with spills). A couple electronic devices have failed or required attention after all these years - probably due to non-use (see opening line). If you look past adjusting the mirrors yourself (we haven't tried to get the power feature fixed - not a big deal - may be a fuse?), this thing goes just about anywhere - and MUCH better in deep slop than most other SUV's, new or old (we passed a fat-tired, decked-out Jeep Cherokee with oversize wheels and suspension that was stuck in deep sand at the beach - the driver looked at us in disbelief as we slogged past him in "Ol' Monty"! We only have about 85k on the odo., and I keep saying that as long as this thing keeps running well, we will keep it. Things we like: Big cargo area (useless hanging back-seats removed when we bought it): We cart canoes, kayaks, and tons of gear to places others can't even drive, let alone park without getting stuck. All things considered, I would MUCH rather have this vehicle available to me than have the $4,500 it is still worth. I hear story after story from the dealership and others that Monteros of this age come in for service with hundreds of thousand of miles on them and the owners are delighted to just keep on going. I got a "tip" from a Mitsu. engineer that I could be confident in "buying and keeping" this vehicle, mainly b/c it was designed for international sales and use in deserts and all other sorts of difficult places. It truly is a work horse, despite its boxy and not so muscular looks or feel (the V6 only puts out +/- 180 hp, but it is sufficient). If you can find an old Montero LS (not "Sport") like mine (or the SR which is merely a higher-level version) that hasn't been neglected or abused, chances are you will be very happy with your purchase for years to come.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Car I owned

by Sonny from | May 22, 2011

I would say that still you are comfortable with this car. thought he body was remodelled.The engine features are still the same.

Featured Services for this Mitsubishi Montero