2001 Mitsubishi Montero

Available in 2 styles:  2006 Mitsubishi Montero 4x4 shown

Overall

Capable 4WD

by SakuraArt from Rochester, NY | September 2, 2015

First, I was deployed overseas in the Navy. Everywhere I went, from deserts to jungles to the artic, these vehicles were the staple (along with the Toyota Land Cruiser). Every single time I got inside one I knew I had to get one, so once I got the chance to get one when I got back stateside, I did. It took me a few months to find one, a gem in hiding. I jumped on it immediately. Don't let the miles or the year fool you people. This vehicle is the most capable vehicle you might ever find, I mean ever. I purchased my 2001 for 5G with 140,000. Anyone who works at a bank is looking at that as a bad investment, but they also have no clue as to what this vehicle can do. I replaced the belts, flushed and replaced all fluids and oils systems, changed the brake pads, All Weather Bridgestone tires, and put in a single DIN navigation unit with Bluetooth (ipad/android capable control). I also replaced the standard subwoofer with one from Pioneer that runs on 2 ohms (only because the standard one had already ripped apart on it gaskets due to age). So now, after putting in about 3G on top of the 5, I have a 4x4 that can shift from 2 to 4H to 4L to regular 4, without moving from my seat, control all my electronics, tow, carry around all my friends and family in comfort, and have a full size spare off the massive back gate. This Montero is the most capable vehicle I've ever owned and it owns the offroad (other 4WD/4x4's I owned were the 2000 Expedition -Eddie Bauer edition, and the 2010 Highlandr - Sport edition AWD). I look for places that will get other vehicles stuck, and this one just rolls through it as if it were on asphalt. Recently my brother got his Dodge 2500 stuck, he used his Suburban to try to pull it out, got it stuck as well. I hooked up his 2500 to my font tow hooks, and easily pulled it out using 4L. Then I hooked up his Suburban and did the same. Don't let the size fool you with it's intense capabilities and power. I use it as a daily driver vehicle, and it easily handles in the unforgiving upstate NY winters and snow. I refuse to shovel my driveway because I don't need to, this just drives right through as if, again, it were on asphalt. So, I'm looking for another one, just to have as a spare and to share the miles (this one now has eclipsed 150k, and still purrs along, but I'd rather keep them low if possible). I've read reviews of people having overheating problems, but never had any issues with that, but I also live in a place where 80F is a heatwave. I also have the Limited. If I could fill my entire driveway with them, I would for the price. A few upgrades will make it just as capable as anything on the market.

My Second Montero

by sherry from ellicott city, MD | July 1, 2013

I bought one in 2001 brand new and it was the best vehicle i ever owned. I got rid of it in 2005 because of financial issues and it was the worst decision i have ever made. afterwards i have drove all sorts of vehicles and i was never happy with any, so i went out and bought another one same exact thing. It's great on gas for a seven passenger SUV and it's the most reliable thing ever. my first one i put 100,000 miles on it and only did routine maintenance. my second one i put about 60,000 miles on it and it has a total of 140,000 miles on it and it's still running strong. No problems ever just fill up and go. It's 4wd can get you anywhere, i've driven this car in snow blizzards without getting stuck and through hurricanes perfectly fine. I urge everyone to atleast test out these vehicles they are honestly worth every penny!

most reliable car

by lady from Los Angeles, Ca | April 6, 2013

I've owned about 12 cars in my life and this was by far the vest. I drove my montero for more than four years and only had one problem in that period which was the breaks. Fixed them once and that was that. I also had an issue with my CD player but other than that the car was extremely reliable. Drove it in a blizzard for 8 hours straight and it did not let me down. no longer need a car so big but if I needed more space I would buy this car again. I also like that the design is timeless.

After 12 years still going strong

by Happy Montero Owner from Bakersfield, Ca | May 24, 2012

My car is now at 151K miles and after 12 years it's still going strong. Only basic maintenance: oil, brakes and battery. Other than that car runs great, no engine or transmission problems. It also feels very safe and sturdy. turning radius is amazing, makes u-turn thighter than pontiac G6 or nissan altima (both sendans). The car is ageless. After 12 years it still blends in with newer 2012 cars. that is because mitsubishi was ahead of its time when car was built in 2001. The paint still good as new, and I live in area where we reach 105 degrees. I know it will be time to replace car soon, but every time I drive it, I asked myself why change it? it runs and looks great!

Most reliable car I ever owned and I had many.

by Rufus from Chicago IL | January 3, 2012

This car has it all, power, low end torque, 4x4 is big enough for my family and is excellent in the winter.

Montero Rocks!!

by Cleveland Researcher from Cleveland, OH | August 7, 2011

I was in the market for a used SUV. As a case worker, I needed something that had plenty of room to transport clients while still somewhat gas efficient. As for personal used, I needed something safe that I could take my young nieces and nephews skiing and camping, as well as, do my other activities. I did my research and test drove the Honda Pilot, Toyota 4 Runner, Nissan Pathfinder and Xterra, Ford Escape, Land Rover Discovery, and of course, the Mitsubishi Montero. To my suprise, the Montero beat them all hands down. The Montero was roomier, better interior designed orgonamically, felt more steardier, had all the features that I wanted in a single SUV, looks just as good as the Land Rover and handles better, great stereo system, lots of cargo space, third row seating, and an all around perfect car for my active life style. Perfect also for driving the family around and feel very safe in it. Compared to the others, it had the best price both in the purchase and maintenance department. Extremely great value for the money. I look forward to having my 2001 Mitsubishi for years to come. All my research and test drives really paid off. My friends and family love the car, but more importantly, I love it too. No doubt in my mind that I made the right choice! I would highly recommend you try and purchase this car.

Excelent Vehicle!

by Happy Montero Owner! from Orlando, FL | November 1, 2010

I bought my Montero in 2005, when I stumbled upon it in an ebay add that was mismarked as a Toyota 4Runner. I hadn't ever heard of them before that, and am so glad that some mis-nammed their add. Asside from normal wear/tear (tires, battery, brakes, etc.), this car has been problem free! It is like a luxury vehicle and rugged/all-terain truck, wrapped into one nice good looking package. It is nice to be able to cruise around town using the rear-wheel drive, which saves you gas versus driving it in 4WD. The 4WD is there for you when you need it though, like in the snow/ice or other soft surfaces (gravel, sand, clay, mud, etc), so you'll never get stuck in this SUV! Heated seats work fast, and keep you warm to the core in the winter! Visibility is awesome (hardly any blind spots). 7-passenger seats, that can all lay down, to make one big "bed"...soo cool (don't know of any other vehicle that does this). The 3rd row bench seat disapears into the floor, and the 2nd row bench folds up nicely to provide a huge cargo space. Can haul a ton of groceries, kids (and/or adults), and lumber for all your trips to Lowes and Home Depot. Sunroof is GINORMOUS!! Digital display control unit was ahead of its time! Powerful V-6, which gives you better gas millage that the other full-size, V-8 SUVs out there. Best looking SUV on the road (even today, I don't see any other SUVs that look as good as the Montero...unless you want to pay 80,000 dollars for a Porsche :)). I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone in the market for one of them. You won't be disapointed. I only wish Mitsubishi didn't stop making them.

Love my Montero

by Montero Mom from Pebble Beach, CA | August 31, 2009

I bought this car new vs. the Sequoia. It's a Limited with all the extras. Since the main purpose would be for commuting to work with room for kids, I chose the Montero for the V6 and better gas mileage as well as a lower purchase price. I have not been disappointed. I am at 130k miles and have contemplated turning it in for something new. Then I get inside the vehicle and ask myself "Why?". It's in great shape, is reliable and feels larger than it is due to the extra headroom. It drives more like a car than most of the other SUV's I've driven. I also enjoy that it's unique and not every other car in traffic is a Montero. I love my Montero and would recommend it to anyone.

Best car

by mark from Texas | June 10, 2008

This car is awesome. I love this car . I bought this car in 2001 I thought that was my worst decision but I think I made the right choice.. This is one lunary truck with high performance and it is very strong

Over Heated 5 times in 6 months

by Nickk from Long Beach, CA | May 4, 2008

It was great for when we went camping and just to get around town. Very Expensive at the time. The one we owned was the Limited 4X4. It also had poor fuel economy.

Featured Services for this Mitsubishi Montero