2003 Mitsubishi Outlander

Available in 4 styles:  Outlander shown

Overall

Outlander...great SUV!

by Leo from Sacramento, Ca | December 26, 2012

Actually, our Outlander 03 had a radiator problem where the radiator sprung a leak which caused our car to overheat several times. We did not know that it was the problem and when we finally found out, it was a year and a half before we had the radiator replaced. Despite that, the Outlander has not really caused us that much problem. It was never in a repair shop except for that one. It is east to maintain and fun to drive. It is a bit sluggish during acceleration and I am pretty sure other SUVs will leave this car in the dust, but we are more about comfort and dependability than fast cars. It has brought us to 5 states with not much of complaint. We had our old reliable for 10 years now and it just kept going, especially after that radiator replacement. I replaced the timing belt, water pump, brakes and changed oil at the proper time and it gave me back great service in return. It does have problems tackling steep inclines and mountain roads, and I hope the next OUtlander designs had solved these problems. I also have a friend who has the AWD ( I have the front wheel drive), and he said he has not encountered a problem with it, all he spends with it are the usual maintenance.

Good car for gas and extreme weather!!!

by Luis from Denver, CO | December 5, 2012

The AWD is great! I would definitely recommend this car for anyone who want AWD/4WD. The Engine from this year, 2003, has not enough HP (next year Mitsubishi added 20 hp to engine's performance) but adequate for a regular city and occasional highway drive. The problem start when you go to the mountains, too slow, that was probably the reason to mitsubishi improve the car with more 20 HP. I bought this car new, was some expensive for small SUV $23,000. I replace timing belt and water bump at 70,000 miles ($700),brakes, regular oil maintenance and filters, mi car has now 90,000 miles and continue running great. The other defect has this car in many years model is HVAC control switch, broke easy and is very hard to switch from heat to AC, I am surprised why mitsubishi didn't make any recall, because is a very comun this problem in all Outlander similar to this model, fix this problem cost around $400. I continue with mi Outlander and for the blizzards was amazing, for be honest I can't beleive this SUV was going to do great in this extreme weather condition. I can recomend buy this car used for save money, is a amazing saving gas car, perfect for the city and extreme weather conditions.

dependable!!!

by busy mom from Salem, Oregon | February 8, 2012

I got my 2003 Outlander brand new in 2003 and in 2012 I am ready for a bigger car now that I have 2 growing boys. I have only done basic maintenence, tires, brakes, oil and other fluids. Never an issue with reliability and I commute and now have over 162,000 miles! Absolutely a great car.

Best mini SUV ever!!!! Will buy again

by The Romans from Bethlehem PA | January 31, 2012

Had a 2003 pre-owned for almost 5 years with 109,000 miles which was totaled in a recent accident no air bags deployed and both of my girls in the rear seat (4 years old and my newborn). This car handle the snowy roads, rainy days like a piece of cake. With the accident claim upgrade to a 2005 Endeavor another great vehicle. Go Mitsubishi Go.

Pretty good!

by Stephanie from Minneapolis/St. Paul | January 23, 2012

I bought this car in November 2011 with 113,000 miles on it for $6800 including tax and title. It has been really good in the snow; the AWD is great! I would definitely recommend this car for anyone who has a legnthy commute, and wants AWD/4WD. I am quite happy with the gas mileage, it's about 23 highway, although it seems like more to me. I fill up about every 7 or 8 days, $40 per tank. There are some quirks to the car. It's kind of suprisingly loud, which is weird since it's on the smaller side. And the heating dial was pinched so I have the mechanic turn the dial to hot in the winter, and cold in the summer. I could fix it for $270, but I'd rather just have him turn it biyearly. It doesn't hurt the car any. Also, my drivers-side windsheild wiper got stuck underneath the other one, so I just had them retime it which cost me $60. Other than those minor quirks, it's a great small/mid sized SUV, it gets up my really steep driveway like a pro! The interior is super classy, and I love the candy apple red exterior :)

The best SUV for almost ten years

by charlevoixgirl from Forest Lake, MN | September 7, 2011

Everyone copied this SUV and for good reason, this is the most reliable, handsome, economical car I've ever owned and I've owned over twenty in the last 40 years!

Mitsubishi Outlander 2003

by Kuchum from Tacoma WA | April 12, 2011

That was an opening year for this model. Mitsubishi built Outlander trying to mimic Honda CRV and Toyota RAV 4. Being a company with limited financial resources, they put significant effort in Outlander development. Though it was not able to beat frontrunners, as a used car it is quite a value. I purchased mine in 2010 with 70000 miles on odometer. Vehicle was not taken care well of, but after replacing tires and servicing it I found that 8000 US dollars I paid for it is very low price for all the comfort and quality I received for it. Ride is quiet for a 4 cylinder engine, stereo is very good for a segment, and I dedicated 40 years of my life to music listening :o) Ride is steady. Engine if slightly underpowered (next year Mitsubishi added 20hp to engine's performance) but adequate for a regular city and occasional highway drive. Quality of materials is excellent for the class. Great visibility and hight posture help to navigate. Roof rack is well thought of and strong. Transmission works well (AT), though there is a bit of vibration at stop. Gas mileage in town is 20-21 mpg. I like this vehicle and feel it is a great value for the money when buy it used.

Underpowered but safe, reliable, great mpg.

by JohnJohnJohnJohn from Wausau, WI | September 11, 2010

Pros: highest possible safety ratings; very reliable engine; excellent gas mileage; looks awesome. Cons: interior has very little storage space; interior isn't the most durable around; engine is only 140hp which is about as low powered as you'll find. Google for detailed reviews: every last one of them will rave about the driving experience around town and on winding roads, but also every last one of them will gripe about the underpowered engine. For me, I'm a putz of a country road driver anyway, so I knew the car would be a good fit. I have not been disappointed in this regard. I'm mildly disappointed by the tiny center console with very minimal storage. I guess I'll have to carry fewer odds and ends with me in my vehicle now.

the best car ever

by duffy from lancaster co. Pa. | July 2, 2010

I totally love this suv. 4 cyl. that has plenty of pep but easy on gas. Lots of room and feels safe and secure and handles almost as good as my sports car. I feel I has combined all my needs into one car, sporty, great gas mileage, plenty of cargo space. Would definetly buy another one as a first choice and would drive the distance to get it.

excellent car, drive it to believe it !!

by kk from | April 6, 2009

amazing car, great comfort, great space, smooth handling i love my car

Featured Services for this Mitsubishi Outlander