1997 Nissan 200SX

23–29.1 city / 31–39.2 hwy

Overall

sleek 76

by sleek 76 from Cottonwood Az. | May 12, 2011

My 97 Nissan 200sx has been the MOST reliable and inexpensive vehicle to own.With simple maintenance and regular oil changes it has performed well above any vehicle I previously owned.Even well after 200k milage it drives and feels tight behind the wheel and has minor power loss.gas milage is excellent and maintains 35 mpg consistantly. The ac works perfect and has never been recharged.Could not have bought a better car!

200SX SE-R, Best car I've owned

by Miss my SE-R from Northern New Jersey | March 11, 2011

I bought this car used in 1999 with 20K miles on the clock. Had it until 2005, sold it to my brother with 135K miles. Six years later he still has it, now with 225K miles. Comfort: The SE-R came loaded. Comfort is what you would expect from this type of vehicle. Performance: For 140hp this car moved! And when it was modded, it really moved! Exterior Styling: Very 90s, but very attractive. The base and SE models were kind of 'blah', but the SE-R with sideskirts and nice wheels looks that much nicer. Because they're somewhat rare I would always be asked what car it was. Interior Design: Pretty nice, center bezel is vertically flat. Value for the Money: Worth every penny, and it's not that many pennies. I sold mine in 2005 for $3K, apparently good examples still go for that. I'm not surprised. Reliability: I'll give you a summary and you decide. In the last 14 years it's been modded and driven for over 225K miles. It's still on the original motor, transmission and clutch! This car has the legendary SR20DE motor, it's bulletproof.

Nice economy car

by Lex from North CA | March 9, 2011

Bought this car 3 months ago, is has 173,000 miles on it. Very cheap to maintain. The timing chain was noisy and watched on youtube how to replace the timing chain upper tensioner. Spent only $120 and it is quiet again, plus replaced the crankshaft seal so no more leaking. I drove it from Sacramento to AZ with the speed of 70 to 80 mph and I still got 42mpg. On city, I'm only getting 31 to 35mpg. Very fuel efficient car and cheap. This is my first Nissan, and this car will save my 2010 Prius from gaining more miles (I already have 25,000 miles on it in less than a year) and also helps me save money by not using my Sequoia.

The car that I would buy again.....

by GreenEyedAngel from Orlando, FL | September 5, 2010

if it still existed new. I am an original owner of one that now has 581K+ miles and can't say enough about this car. Replaced the engine at 437K - she (yes, she) would probably have gone another 50-100K, but had the money at the time and a great deal on replacement. This car requires mostly basic maintenance - regular oil changes, and manual tranny appreciates fluid changes every 50K or so. Alternators go about every 200K and had to replace the fuel pump at 475K. Starter was replaced at 450K and did have to replace the front axle pieces(in this car they are 2 parts, not a solid axle) and front passenger hub in the 500K range. Agree with the previous about the seats - her seat is still comfortable - and although I'm 6'0" and my sweetie is 6'4", we have more than enough leg and head room (she does have a sunroof though). I laugh watching all the commercials for new vehicles touting 28+ mpg. This car, while underpowered if you want to beat folks off a green light, has given me 40mpg highway and 35mpg city since I bought her. Who knew I was green b4 green was cool? Bottom line - this car was the best decision I ever made and still cute after 13 years - not many cars can say that.

Great Car

by Nissan Chick from San Diego, CA | June 28, 2008

I bought this car in 2001 (four years old) with 34000 miles . Seven years later, it has 154000 and it's still running strong. I've changed the starter and alternator, but the ORIGINAL battery. FANTASTIC gas mileage. It's an automatic with a 12 gallon tank and I'll get about 340 miles to the tank on average.

I got this car for work

by jsteev67 from kelso wa. | June 10, 2007

The way gas is you can't bet this car. 2007 I put $30 to fill and I'm good. For the beter of the week. It dives and handles very well on the freeway. The car over all looks are very cool. Lots of trunk space.

Great bang for the buck!

by Nissan and Honda fan from Seattle, WA | June 9, 2007

I bought this car used for $3,000 and so far I racked up 50,000 miles with 149,000 on the odometer right now and the only thing I had to replace was the starter and the battery. Other than that this car has been unbelievably reliable. It has one of the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in and I've owned a Rsx type s, 3 240sx's, and a Honda S2000 before. The car has a bit too much body roll but that's probably because the shocks need to be replaced with this many miles. The shifter is a bit far too reach and I'm 5'10'' so either you have to move the seat up which makes your legs a bit uncomfortable or just keep the shifter far way from you. All in all, this car has served me extremely well and I would definately recommend this car to anybody that wants a reliable, gas saving, fun car to drive.

Featured Services for this Nissan 200SX