The Altima Hybrid is Nissan's first gas/electric hybrid, using technology borrowed from Toyota. The hybrid is sold in select states, including California, New York, New Jersey and most of New England.
The Altima Hybrid is available in one trim level and competes with other midsize hybrids like the Toyota Camry Hybrid and Ford Fusion Hybrid.
New for 2010
The 2010 Nissan Altima Hybrid has a new design for its front end, as well as a new design for the wheels. Option packages have also been changed.
Except for some hybrid decal badging, the Altima Hybrid features the same silhouette as a conventional Altima.
For 2010, Nissan redesigned the hood, grille and the front bumper.
- Standard 16-inch alloy wheels
- Standard power mirrors, heated mirrors optional
- Standard dual exhaust
- Optional automatic headlamps
- Optional rear spoiler
- Optional power sunroof
Nissan installed the hybrid's battery pack in the trunk, giving the vehicle 10.1 cubic feet of cargo area. For 2010, Nissan says they "refined" the interior fabric and finishing.
- Available cloth or leather upholstery
- Available wood or metallic trim
- Standard dual-zone automatic climate control
- Standard power windows, locks and keyless entry
- Standard cruise control
- Optional heated front seats
- Optional upgraded audio system
- Optional navigation system
Under the Hood
The four-cylinder gasoline engine shuts off when the vehicle comes to a stop to save gas. The electric motor provides some acceleration at low speeds; the gasoline engine kicks in when accelerating hard or for highway travel.
The air conditioning compressor is electric (rather than belt-driven) to save gas. This also means the air conditioning can blow in cold air even with the engine off. The Altima Hybrid achieves an estimated 35/33 mpg city/highway.
- 158-horsepower, 2.5-liter four-cylinder with 162 pounds-feet of torque
- 40-hp, 650-volt electric motor with 199 pounds-feet of torque
- Continuously variable automatic transmission
- Standard push-button start
Safety features include:
- Side-impact airbags
- Side curtain airbags
- Active front head restraints
- Antilock brakes
- Electronic stability system
- Optional backup camera