2002 Nissan Altima

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Well made

by Son from NY | June 4, 2014

Pushing 180k. This car stood up well to my abuse. I get regular oil changes, two batteries and basic maintenance for breaks. Over the years, AC died, fuel line Vacuum leak, and struts are shot. No other repairs on the car at all. I have never even had a regular tune up. I did get the belt replaced once. Spark plugs and wires are original. This is a well built car

always been a good car

by critterferris from | October 29, 2013

I have had this cars for years now. I got it used from a snell dealer ship in Mankato i am shocked to see so many bad reviews on it. mine has a 2.5 in it with over 218 thousand on it and i have never had anything major happen to it i have just did my oil changes and did all the maintence on it and she has always ran strong. all cars break down some time. It just depends on the way you drive it and take care of your car. one thing i found weird was my crankshaft sensor went out on it and when i got it fixed it had a 3.5 engine crank sensor not a 2.5 sensor in fact the 2.5 sensor didnt even fit? any feed back on why thats why that is?

Dissatisfied!

by Kmm12 from Edmonton, ky | October 20, 2013

I bought my 02 Nissan in 2012 and fount out very quickly it was burning oil. I kept dumping oil in it until she finally blew. My husband was driving it to another city for work around 50 miles a day and I was buying 4 quarts a week. Blew black smoke like crazy. Valves chattered and got really weak. Bought with 145k on motor and it blew and just died with 162k. I've tried and tried to find another motor but I've learned from 02-05 engines all are just not good motors. When I call to ask about one they want 1200-1600 dollars for them. Do not buy these vehicles. It's a bottomless money pit. It's been one thing after another with it. If I didn't owe on the car, I wouldn't bother fixing it, I'd take to a junkyard and scrap it. JUNK JUNK JUNK!

most reliable car

by asap from boston,ny | April 13, 2013

i wanted this car for some years now....the car seems to never look old (exterior or interior)so i would really recommend this car on my behalf p.s.it drives smoothly

Surprised

by Me from California | June 28, 2012

I am very surprised to see so many bad comments on this car. Bought mine new off the lot and have put 120k miles on it so far with no sign of a problem. I bought it because I had owned a 94 that I put nearly 400k on. Yes you read that correctly and yes it is in US miles. In those miles all I had to do was replace a broken engine mount (broken in a minor parking lot fender bender) and replace a water pump (the only common problem on the 94). Besides good reliability mine has iPod connectivity which is very ahead of the time and good mpgs (about 33 hwy). Again very surprised to see so many problems, I have had nothing but good cars from Nissan and will buy a new one as soon as they ditch the CVT transmission.

worst car ive owned

by Nissen hater from Massachusetts | March 28, 2012

Recently bought the car with 120,000 miles on it and it had all sorts of problem to make the story short engine blew dont recommend

A disaster car

by Tony from Apple Valley, MN | March 28, 2012

I alway drove Nissan, and bought this alitma hope this one to last longer. At 100K miles the engine failed. I read about their engine problem before on consumers report, but my previous exprience with Nissan was great, and I ignored those comments. The sad thing is that car looks great and has good performance, but the engine stinks. A STRONGLY Advised not to buy this car.

Head gasket/engine failures are common before 100K

by Learned the hard way from CT | March 26, 2012

First of all I bought my 2002 altima in 2006, it was a great car, very comfortable, very peppy, great gas milage! However 6 years later at only 90k the headgasket is on it's way out. Looking online I found that this is very common for either headgasket or engine failure to occur before 100k. Nissan has been seeing this issue since the cars were new and under warranty but did nothing to correct the issue until after 2005. And if you had issues outside of warranty they wouldn't help at all (even under warranty it looks like a hassle) The 2002-2005 has the honorable spot of 18th worst car on carcomplaints (look up on google) The 2002 leading that year range. Just be warned that the 2002-2005's are potentially ticking time bombs, be very wary of buying a used one as the symptoms of failure are often slow onset and would be missed by most mechanics.

Great Car

by Altima Girl from Snellville, GA | March 19, 2012

As long as the owner kept the car well maintained then this car is awesome. Absolutely love this car.

Bad Engine

by Disgusted Owner from MINNESOTA | February 14, 2012

Purchased vehicle for my daughter and she lost heat. After finding no obvious leaks I got the air out of the system and she had heat again, temporarily! Since I was under the hood I checked oil, and not a drop on stick! I just got car from dealer 2 weeks ago, drove another week and lost another quart. Brought into Nissian dealer to look at and was told rings on engine shot, well known problem with this 2.5 engine. Only remendy was to replace engine or keep dumping oil into it until it dies! Weird thing is it is not smoking from exhaust or running bad. AVOID THIS CAR!