2011 Nissan LEAF

Available in 2 styles:  2011 Nissan LEAF 4dr Hatchback shown

106 city / 92 hwy

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Love the car but battery reliability has mworried

by VVee from Orlando, FL | March 12, 2014

I,ve put almost 19000 miles on my Leaf. The car handles well, is comfortable, gets me from point A to point B and saves me a lot of money by not having to buy gasoline. I am very concerned about the realiability of the battery. So far I've lost one bar and depending on weather outside, At times I am pushing to make a 60 mile round trip. The value of the vehicle has dropped significantly over the past year.

no-brainer

by spaceman from south carolin | March 2, 2014

If your daily drive is 80 miles or so - like most people, it is a no-brainer to lease this - LEAF lease = $199 a month - I save $160 (net of electricity costs) a month on gas, oil changes etc. So, the net monthly cost is about $39 - you do have to put down $2,000 - but that's about $60 a month over 36 months - so, you're driving a new, fully warranted car for 3 years at a net cost of about $99 a month. I have 14K miles on my Leaf now and it has been flawless - better pick-up than a gas car & super quiet. I live in South Carolina - the average full charge is about 100 miles.

love the car hate the battery

by bioburner from manassas Va. | August 13, 2013

We love the car and being able to "refuel" at home. Only problem encountered is the main battery has lost in excess of 15% of its storage capacity in just 1 year. Current range is only 50 miles on a full charge. Resale valve on this car has dropped in half in just 18 months. If you are interested in this car Lease it don't buy it!!!!

Turn over a new Leaf!!!

by EV Lover from Ft. Lauderdale, FL | June 28, 2013

I am in love with this car, for two reasons...first, it's responsive, comfortable and down-right fun to drive; second, I never need to stop at a gas station! For a city-car this is definitely the best...along with the most advanced computer control system.

Amazingly surprising!

by Ladybug's Leaf from The Piedmont, NC | May 14, 2013

When I first considered an EV (Electric Vehicle,) I assumed it would be like driving one of those kiddy-cars-- slow. Wow! Was I wrong! During my test drive of the Nissan LEAF, I merged onto a highway where everyone was going 65-75 mph. I was not only able to move into the traffic easily, but it felt like I was flying a jet plane! AND, I never have to buy gas again. I searched owners' forums for over two months. The LEAF owners who were disappointed were those people who needed to go a long way between charges, but for those of us who don't need a car for a long trip, the car is fantastic! I got the "SL" which is the top-of-the-line-- navigational system, Blue Tooth, rear-view camera-- so many things that I am reading the owners' manual every day and learning new things-- like setting the charge or climate control by remote, (telephone, computer, etc.,) ahead of driving. But for me, the main feature is that there is only a limited supply of oil on the planet, and I can no longer afford the ever-increasing cost of gas/oil. Electricity can be made from lots of sources. I can run my errands, go to work, come home, plug my LEAF into a regular socket, and come back to it in the morning, fully charged. Why did I choose Nissan? Well, I own a 1987 Nissan Stanza wagon with four-wheel drive-- it was one of the first yet-to-be-named "SUV's," from which all others were designed. That car has over 260,000 miles on it and has NEVER had a major incident/repair. That's all I need to know. I believe EV's are the way of things to come-- someday (soon?) gas stations will be converted into electricity stations-- plug in (and of course pay for) a designated time/amount of electricity. In the "Quick Charge" mode, you can get 80% charge in about 30 minutes. You can have a charge port installed at your home, (though so far, I find it unnecessary.) I'm on the SE coast of the USA, where change isn't embraced the same way it is in other areas, (e.g., the west coast,) so we have public charges only at places like post offices, libraries, and of course dealers. But should you want to go over 100 miles a day, I learned that some LEAF owners offer their own, private ports to other LEAF owners-- plug in, "sit a spell," and be on your way. That feels very "Little House on the Prairie" to me, and maybe it is, maybe EV owners are the modern-day pioneers in travel. Once you drive the Nissan LEAF, you'll know why the 2011 was named World Car of the Year!

Pleasure to drive

by First EV from South Central Pennsylvania | December 13, 2012

I love this car!! So easy to drive and comfortable. No problem on range with the short trips that we have to make. Kept my 2005 Prius to use for long trips.

1 month review

by Chez from LA, CA | December 7, 2012

I bought my leaf with a bit of hesitation. Mainly, range anxiety, charging-time length, and cost of charging the Leaf. Range Anxiety is no longer a concern. I drive 54 miles (round trip) on s single charge (commute to work- 5 days a week). When I say one charge I mean on 8 "bars". The Leaf has a total of 12 bars, which represent a 100% max charge. Nissan recommends charging Leaf only up to 80% to preserve Battery life. What this means, is you may only charge battery up to 10 bars. My 54 mi commute starts at 10 bars and brings me home with 2-3 bars left... depending on traffic and climate control options. The leaf will most certainly complete a 54 mile commute on a single charge of 80% .. You may always override the charge up to 100% if you wish, which will allow more range. Charging the battery with a standard 120 volt plug takes me about 10 hours Important to note, I begin the charge with about 2 bars and complete charge with 10 bars (eight bars out of 12 are charged overnight). Charging is completed easily overnight, if plugged-in right after arriving home. The cost to charge my Leaf if about $50 a month, according to my most recent electric bill (and first bill after buying Leaf. Note- The monthly cycle of my first bill with my leaf actually began on the day I purchased my Leaf (coincidence). I live in So Cal, and Edison charges electric bill based upon 5 tiers. I consistently fell under the first Tier (except in summer) before the Leaf. Normally on non summer months, I was billed between 35-40 $ a month. My most recent bill was $87- 3rd tier- The billing cycle represents a full month of charging Leaf- 5 days a week- 8 bars, and weekends, which vary. Needless to say, I was relieved to see my electric bill being only $50 dollars more than the usual. I was previously paying about $350-400 a month on gasoline for my former car- for the same commute. The savings on gasoline alone pays for the car!!! The Leaf makes a great commuter car for a 54 mile daily and round-trip commute. Furthermore, it is not a strip down car. The leaf offers navigation, bluetooth, USB charger/mp3 player, keyless entry, app to view charging status, back-up camera, XM radio, and an interior feel of a entry level luxury car (I own a base model Leaf). Nevertheless, the leaf should not be your only car in my opinion. Charging stations are not very available (and I live in Los Angeles where stations are supposed to be more accessible), and even though the leaf is able to take care of 90% of my driving needs.... I still drive my gasoline-car on longer trips out of town... San Diego, San Francisco, etc... Complaints: a second USB port would be nice, so I may charge my phone and play my mp3/USB music at the same time. You have to be mindful of your driving habits. As a rule I stay on eco-drive, which if you have a heavy foot like mine... it is best for battery charge conservation- On the freeway I stay between 55-65 mph. I hope you find this review helpful.... I tried answering all the same questions I had when trying to decide if I should buy a Leaf.... I remember how frustrating it was trying to gather all details to help me decide if the Leaf was the car for me :) Chez

Great commuting or second car

by GaryL from Seattle, WA | September 21, 2012

I've had a Nissan Leaf for 16 months and have driven it about 16,000 miles so far. It's a perfect car for commuting and driving around town. My commute is 45 miles round trip per day which is more than most people in America and I only need to charge to 80% on a typical day which extends battery lifespan. It is not for those that commute more than 50 miles per day round trip. Look at the Volt or just a hybrid if you drive more than 50 miles per day. The car accelerates quickly, is super quiet, and handles very well. It has a lot of nice premium features like Bluetooth, navigation system, and electronic stability control that you just don't see in subcompacts. It can seat 5 comfortably. While it cannot be an only car for most people, it can be an everyday car for a 2-car household that has a gasoline car for longer trips. A garage or carport is needed so you have a reliable place to park it every night for charging. If you live in an area like Seattle where there is a growing public charging infrastructure, you can take it on longer trips.

Welcome to the 21st Century!

by StellarRat from Salem OR | April 27, 2012

I've had my 2011 Leaf for a month now. It's my only vehicle. I admit that I REALLY had to think about whether or not to buy this car because of the range limitations, but after analyzing my driving habits, reading some reviews and information, and looking at how much my old car was costing me I decided to go for it. Since then I've had no regrets. Let's talk about Leaf economics: So far I've spent a grand total of $4.25 for electricity to drive about 600+ miles. In my previous car I was spending $170 a month in gasoline and probably another $50 in maintenance (if you averaged it out per month.) In the NW (where I live) off-peak power is $.044 / kwh (I have time of use billing plan) and it's mostly generated by hydro and a various renewables (wind, etc...) So, as you can see it's saving me about $220 / month. In addition there is a $7500 Federal tax credit for this car. Range anxiety, nope! I've taken this car to every family event, errand and work daily. Not a single problem with range or anything else. I don't use a 220v charger I just plug it in at night (the charger starts at 10 PM) to the 110v charger it comes with. That's gives me about 9+ hours of charge time per night. That is enough to bring it to at least 45%, but since it is rare to drive more than 40 miles per day for me, it's at full charge every morning. If I need to travel further there are charging stations all over the major cities here and a network of fast DC chargers are being installed on the major highways and in the "junction" cities around state. These bring the car to 80% charge in 1/2 hour. Look up the "Green Highway Project" for more about this and maps, etc... So, I'm trying to figure out why everyone is so negative on range with these cars. I've seen nothing but savings! And have had NO issues with range. Finally, the car as, well, a car. Putting aside electric power stuff, this car is a match for any other compact to mid-size vehicle on the road. It's got plenty of space for four adults. Lots of cargo room. It rides nicely and is nearly silent at lower speeds. The acceleration is more than adequate, in fact I think it would have given my G35 coupe a run for the money up to 30 or 40 mph. It handles well. Steering is a bit mushy, but OK under normal conditions. The sound system is good. Accessories are near luxury car standards with nav, Carwings, steering wheel controls, etc... There are also some cool Carwings internet features and the ability to control/monitor some of the car functions from a cellphone or a desktop web browser. Out of the six cars I've bought in my lifetime this is without a doubt, the happiest I've been with a new car.

Real World

by Reality Check from PA | April 5, 2012

Unless you live in the city and do not drive a lot this thing is for you. However, if you drive 50 mi to work and the same back, not counting being stuck in the traffic, you'll be towed few times. How dumb does the company have to be to make the car solely electric without having same time recharging capability as you drive. Technology is there. Next, what exactly are you paying $30k? Petro/diesel motor vehicle vs electric: electric is cheaper to make, no hydraulics, hoses, fluids, psi. So, buying the vihicle with 10-15k less in parts for 10-13K more then petro? - outrageous. You'll be better off with driving the corolla. Better reliability, long lasting. Yes, you have to fuel it and change fluids, however, it will be cheaper at the end.