2013 Nissan LEAF

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Crushed my leaf yesterday

by Crushed Leaf from Grand Rapids, MI | March 24, 2014

Crushed my leaf yesterday. T-boned on passenger side by car that was going well over the speed limit of 25. Side airbags deployed. Passenger cabin a few inches smaller than it was at the start of the day. One scrapped elbow, no other injuries. My three teens and I walked away. Love my leaf! Hope the shop can fix it!

Don't get in an accident...

by Mecasaly from | March 17, 2014

We leased a brand new 2013 Nissan Leaf at the end of October from Grapevine Nissan, TX. We love the car and especially love driving past the gas pumps. We need the car for short trips, back & forth to work and running errands around town. So, it works out perfectly for us. Unfortunately, my husband & son were in an accident with it on 1/18/14. Another driver went thru a stop sign and crashed into the rear passenger side door doing approx $10,000 in damage. Thankfully no one was hurt and the car was towed to the collision shop. Well, I won't lease/purchase another Nissan after this experience again. It is now 3/17/14, two months after the accident, and we still don't have our car back. Apparently, the part they needed was not in the USA anywhere! They had to get it from Japan! They put a rush on it, but said it could still take 20 days to get here. That was on 2/27/14 and we still don't know where the part is. I find this quite upsetting to say the least! I decided to call the car dealership where we bought the car to see if they could help and the salesman who leased the car to us said he could not help, they have nothing to do with parts at all. He never offered to inquire or make a phone call to even see if there was something he could do....just NO...he couldn't help! So, I would not recommend that dealership either...once you buy/lease a car, they're done with you! All in all, it is a very bad situation...we've been making our payments, but because Nissan can't give us the part we need, we've been without our car for 2 months! That is entirely unacceptable...my advice, just don't buy a Nissan!!!

AWESOME!!!

by Robin Reid from Los Angeles, California | March 12, 2014

The only thing I can say is that my 2013 Leaf is the best car I have ever owned!! Talk is talk. Reviews are only words. Owning it and driving it is the only way to know how absolutely amazing and revolutionary it is! The true review cannot be written in words. You will need to drive it and own it to truly understand.

Not reliable for more than 50 miles

by Shyan from Los Angeles | March 8, 2014

I have owned this car for almost 8 months now and found that I can not use this for more than 50 miles as lack of quick chargers. Nissan dealers are supposed to have Quick chargers but most of them do not have or may not be working. So I will recommend Volt or similar which can switch to gas and the car may cost the same. I got stuck twice on the road and had to call my friend to pick me up. If you travel no more than 50 miles per day it is perfect but beyond that it is very risky. Also the Nissan dealers are not friendly when you go for Quick charge. Please check the quick charge availability on Nissan website and you will know the facts.

mileage

by timmer from pa | March 6, 2014

i bought this car based on the 84 miles per charge i get around 40 miles per charge i had the battery checked they said fine i called nissan they told me that was the epa estimate not theres but they advertise 84 miles per charge on there website not 40-80 miles i have never got over 50 miles so use caution before purchasing cheaper to buy golf cart

nissan leaf is worth the buck

by eastman from Sacramento, CA | January 29, 2014

I have driven the leaf for 3 weeks now and the entire family have enjoyed it. it is steady, quiet, and money-saving.

Did not deliver the advertised ranges

by Mike from Athen, GA | January 29, 2014

We owned the Leaf for just over a year and recently traded it back in for a new end of year close out 2013 Sentra. We absolutely loved the idea of the Leafs intent and were very pleased with everything about it but two; the driving distance did not deliver as advertised and the heater was very slow to warm. We noticed after charging to a typical 85-90 top-off we would lose about 30 miles range within a very short distance (10 miles or so) thus eliminating a third average of our expected traveling abilities. Then you had to be sure of charging again by the time you had 20 miles remaining just to be safe on the next days outings. We recently took a plotted 33 mile round trip in town and with 60 miles left on the indicator made it back home with a close call of 3 miles remaining which indicates roughly half the actual range. And yes we were in Eco, coasting when possible, braking, and running no heat even though it was on a cold December night. During the course of ownership it was easy to notice the gauge actually drop several miles in range after going only an estimated quarter mile. Again, the only other issue was the heater did not produce instant heat as one would expect being an all electric vehicle. My wife would have to put a blanket over her legs when going a mere 8 miles to work. By the time she hit the parking lot only then did the heat really start producing. Strange when considering our car is in a warm and closed in garage. Even so this should not have even been a factor when its all electric. Everything else about the car was pleasant. Because we lost so much of the indicated charge so soon (1/3 average) we gave it a personal rating of 7 on a scale of 1-10 on this basis alone. This was to big a hit regarding our daily commuting abilities to give it a better rating. I suppose the slow heater process would garner another point if we wanted to be really critical. If only the Leaf could give about twice the advertised range (with more accuracy) would it be really worth it. All said we are much happier with the Sentra and its unrestrained limitations of travel nor do I have to worry that my wife may end up stranded due to its unpredictable driving range. And with the Sentra getting 30 city and 40 hwy, a very economical compromise in the end.

LEAF

by GMOkills from | December 13, 2013

in needs wankel range extender engine option (300 miles) in the back for cross country driving like electric mazda2 will have, then it will be normal car everyone would buy, people don't wanna spend 30000 dol for second car

Great 2nd car for family

by Eddy Kilowatt from Monterey, CA | November 7, 2013

Competent well-sorted little car, plenty of interior room and cargo space, good controls, good visibility, peppy around-town performance. Handling on par with others in its class. Wonderfully quiet due to absence of engine. We drive ours 30-60 miles per day running errands, getting groceries, picking up kids, visiting parents... and this car is PERFECT for that use scenario, I have no hesitation recommending it to almost anyone. DON'T get this car if you have a 60-mile freeway commute, regularly drive 120 miles to the next city, or it would be your only car... the battery technology and the charging infrastructure is not there yet. But many many people COULD benefit from this car, or others like it. It's a fun driving experience and my hat's off to Nissan for their commitment to this new mode of transport. Things I'd like to see improved: stronger high beam headlights, a little more steering feel, and... more motor braking (regen) just by lifting off the accelerator (even more than 'B Mode'), and less of an attempt to blend friction and regen braking via the brake pedal. Oh and the styling... PLEASE. Please make it a little less embarrassing to be seen in. Four star rating because that's about the max I could give any econobox, even a perfect one... but this car does a great job at what it was designed to do.

Exceptional economical vehicle

by Mister E from Cary, NC | September 4, 2013

Have been owning hybrids since 2004 and liked the very good mileage and performance. After researching the Electric Vehicles (EVs) I was impressed with the low cost of the Nissan Leaf with the government rebate and low sticker price. Found a dealer in Durham NC (Michael Jordan Nissan) that worked with me to get the best trade in possible for my Insight. The Leaf has a very comfortable interior with an instrument layout that provides ease of access and lots of information. Did not get more expensive model with Navigation System, but will the next time. Compared to my previous cars this one drives exceptionally smoothly with very good performance in the city and on the highway. Very responsive acceleration and steering. Lots of room for its smaller size too. Easy to hook up the charger and can get a full days driving without a recharge. Plug it in to a 110 Volt line and fully charges overnight. It has the super charger package included so when the quick charge stations become more available it will recharge in an hour. Believe people will be amazed how nice this EV is and an excellent buy.