2013 Nissan LEAF

129 city / 102 hwy

Overall

Is your commute 50 miles/more? Prius is better pic

by sdmacuser from Escondido | September 4, 2014

Cannot recommend this vehicle after 18 months and 19K miles ownership due to excessive loss of range over time (about 1% loss of battery capacity / range for every month of ownership) depending on how fast one drives and how fast one recharges the vehicle. In both cases the faster you go the less you'll get from a leaf. Range issues are simply Not covered under current battery warranty from Nissan Motors. They consider 50 miles "normal". SOMEONE PLEASE TELL THIS TO OUR SALESMAN! A/C is worthless! Heater isn't much better. And frankly I have yet to use heated steering wheel. Just give me better range, a battery that last more than a few years, and MUCH less range anxiety.

Best all electric for the money

by Skypilot1992 from Puget Sound | August 1, 2014

I was really reluctant to convert to all electric. Range was a concern and acceleration at highway speed. My range is very predictable and accurate. Use of ac, heating and defrost impact as with gas cars. But, the dashboard indicator is almost spot on. Also use the "B" setting as it sets up dynamic braking ( charging) when the car coasts downhill. What is most impressive is the acceleration. Love it when somebody is at a stop signal and revving. Just floor the Leaf...no hesitation and you are gone. Well that isn't my greatest compliment to this car. My real love is its ability to accelerate at highway speed. The Prius (we tried one a few years ago...may be improved since then) was gutless at speed. I floored it and waited for it to anemicaly spool up....dangerous if you need to get out of harms way. The Leaf? O my goodness, it just takes off even at 70 mph. Living in the Puget Sound may make a difference in ranging as we don't have the temperature ranging that upper Midwest, Pennsylvania and Florida do. We also have some high power DC units in case I want to add range. We still have our Accord for long trips and second car. Traded in my Oddysey for a 3yr lease on the Leaf and cut my monthly pmts in half and no gas anymore. Average 4.5 miles per KW and full cost of a KWH is 9.5 cents. Home charger unit was $600 plus 1/2 hr cost for an electrician. Very comfortable for 6'1" and 5'1" drivers. No gas cost. Great acceleration. Good ride. Less interior road noise than an Accord. 3yr lease...no down.. means we can be ready for all the next improvements...or walk away.

Some issues with Nissan

by Electric vehicle lover from Berkeley CA | June 4, 2014

Some things to be aware of with a Leaf: 1) This car does NOT come with a spare tire or anywhere to put one. When you get a flat tire, which you will, given that the very lightweight tires pop at the slightest brush with a curb, you are stuck getting a tow truck. 2) The "free roadside assistance" means that they will tow you ONLY to a Nissan Dealer nearby. Not to any other repair shop. 3) The charging timer on the 2013 model does not have an "on" time, only an "off time" so you can't set the timer to start charging during an off peak electricity time- you have to manually start the charging. I am sure there are other unfortunate surprises I will discover as I own and drive my car longer but, despite the upsides of this car, these little omissions and outright lies from the dealer really add up to a bad experience with the car itself.

2013 Nissan LEAF

by jstack6 from Chandler, AZ | May 30, 2014

This is a great car to lease. It runs on less than $1 of electric to go as far as a gallon of gas. We never have to stop at a gas station or get a tune up or OIL change.

Crushed my leaf yesterday

by Crushed Leaf from Grand Rapids, MI | March 24, 2014

Crushed my leaf yesterday. T-boned on passenger side by car that was going well over the speed limit of 25. Side airbags deployed. Passenger cabin a few inches smaller than it was at the start of the day. One scrapped elbow, no other injuries. My three teens and I walked away. Love my leaf! Hope the shop can fix it!

Don't get in an accident...

by Mecasaly from | March 17, 2014

We leased a brand new 2013 Nissan Leaf at the end of October from Grapevine Nissan, TX. We love the car and especially love driving past the gas pumps. We need the car for short trips, back & forth to work and running errands around town. So, it works out perfectly for us. Unfortunately, my husband & son were in an accident with it on 1/18/14. Another driver went thru a stop sign and crashed into the rear passenger side door doing approx $10,000 in damage. Thankfully no one was hurt and the car was towed to the collision shop. Well, I won't lease/purchase another Nissan after this experience again. It is now 3/17/14, two months after the accident, and we still don't have our car back. Apparently, the part they needed was not in the USA anywhere! They had to get it from Japan! They put a rush on it, but said it could still take 20 days to get here. That was on 2/27/14 and we still don't know where the part is. I find this quite upsetting to say the least! I decided to call the car dealership where we bought the car to see if they could help and the salesman who leased the car to us said he could not help, they have nothing to do with parts at all. He never offered to inquire or make a phone call to even see if there was something he could do....just NO...he couldn't help! So, I would not recommend that dealership either...once you buy/lease a car, they're done with you! All in all, it is a very bad situation...we've been making our payments, but because Nissan can't give us the part we need, we've been without our car for 2 months! That is entirely unacceptable...my advice, just don't buy a Nissan!!!

AWESOME!!!

by Robin Reid from Los Angeles, California | March 12, 2014

The only thing I can say is that my 2013 Leaf is the best car I have ever owned!! Talk is talk. Reviews are only words. Owning it and driving it is the only way to know how absolutely amazing and revolutionary it is! The true review cannot be written in words. You will need to drive it and own it to truly understand.

Not reliable for more than 50 miles

by Shyan from Los Angeles | March 8, 2014

I have owned this car for almost 8 months now and found that I can not use this for more than 50 miles as lack of quick chargers. Nissan dealers are supposed to have Quick chargers but most of them do not have or may not be working. So I will recommend Volt or similar which can switch to gas and the car may cost the same. I got stuck twice on the road and had to call my friend to pick me up. If you travel no more than 50 miles per day it is perfect but beyond that it is very risky. Also the Nissan dealers are not friendly when you go for Quick charge. Please check the quick charge availability on Nissan website and you will know the facts.

mileage

by timmer from pa | March 6, 2014

i bought this car based on the 84 miles per charge i get around 40 miles per charge i had the battery checked they said fine i called nissan they told me that was the epa estimate not theres but they advertise 84 miles per charge on there website not 40-80 miles i have never got over 50 miles so use caution before purchasing cheaper to buy golf cart

nissan leaf is worth the buck

by eastman from Sacramento, CA | January 29, 2014

I have driven the leaf for 3 weeks now and the entire family have enjoyed it. it is steady, quiet, and money-saving.