1998 Nissan Maxima

22 city / 27 hwy

Overall

Has Served Me Well

by Owner from Massachusetts | September 23, 2012

First things first, my car was purchased used at a good price in a private sale. Since purchasing the vehicle I have had to replace a knock sensor, a purge valve, the starter, and had the front sway bars replaced due to a broken end link on one side. The repairs have been relatively cheap, and for a car with 130k miles on it, I am surprised that I have not had to make more serious repairs. With regular maintenance I imagine this car will continue to serve me well as it has for the past year of ownership. The car gets pretty good gas mileage, and I feel comfortable driving it. Plenty of power. Its definitely a solid first car and if you can get it at a good price with relatively low mileage you will have a car that can serve you for years to come.

Maxima

by ShawnMaxima from | August 29, 2012

My 1998 Maxima has over 200,000 miles and is still going strong. I would recommend this car to anyone that wants something cheap and reliable.

Love this car

by original owner since Summer of 1997 from Pennsylvania | July 17, 2012

I've owned this car since driving it off the showroom floor when it first came out in Summer of 1997. Never had a problem, have done all required maintenance. Everything still works great, heated seats, Bose stereo, electric sunroof.

Fun family sedan

by Juanmcb from Middletown, CT | January 16, 2012

I bought my Maxima cheap and second hand. Besides regular maintenance, this car has been great to me. It's a 5 speed manual with the limited slip diff and it's fun seeing as everyone underestimates this cars performance. Stock vs stock this car will destroy any Honda/acura etc (not counting the s2000) Good bang for your buck. Mod it out and go racing, or keep it stock and have a nice family car.

Outstanding reliability

by TMS from | August 27, 2011

Bought this car used and have zero problems with the car for 6 years. With over 210,000 on the original engine and transmission it drives like a new car. The interior is completely quiet while driving, no rattles, squeaks, wind noise. Unbelievable for a car this old. The paint is still great, the best car I've ever owned along with my Infiniti I30.

BEST IN ITS CLASS!!

by HP=HAND POWER from San Diego, California | November 1, 2010

I have had my car since it had 33k miles and now has over 60k. I have changed the oil, tires, and the brakes. Thats all I have done to this car. Drives better than any 2005+ cars. It is much reliable, faster, and looks better than most in its class. If you like a sporty car with luxury this is for you. I cant find words to describe how good of a car this is. The torque on this car is amazing. At 80 mph, you hit the gas and it pulls like a bull. Great balance and light weight. It is better than 240sx and 300zx if you know what I mean. With full tank which has about 16 gallons I drive 420 miles on highway with average speed of 70mph. anyway. I would also recommend salvage maximas, IN GOOD CONDITION though. I bought mine 6 years ago with 33k miles salvage title for $4800. And if I want to sell it today I can easily sell it for the same price. Thats the advantage you get with salvage title. And like I said I have only changed tires, brakes and oil.

Had car 12 years, no engine problems

by Diane from Minnesota | June 25, 2010

This has been an excellant vehicle. Fun to drive and still looks and feels new. Has had brakes done 3 times in 175,000 miles. My neighbor bought one a week after I did and has 225,000 miles on his. My son's friend had a '96 and was in a head on crash at 65 MPH and credits the Maxima with saving his life!

Solid, sporty and dependable

by Maxima 98 Enthusiast from Rochester, NY | August 28, 2008

Have owned my 98 Maxima SE with a manual 5 speed since 1999. It's an outstanding car, and still runs like a top in 2008 (90,000 miles). In all these years the only feature I wish it had was a fold-down rear seat for larger cargo area on occasion. The v6 engine is peppy, strong and reliable and as long as you do the regular maintenance (oil & filter) will perform for years and years like mine has. Has been great for winter and summer driving.

Great Car for the value

by Reliable car owner from Minneapolis | August 9, 2007

This is the best car I have ever owned. I was inspired after my manager gave car pool in his nissan maxima GLE. I searched for the car for longtime and found my car. I have been driving this car for 1 year and 4 months. Odometer has 120K and still ticking. Engine is smooth and runs quiet after 9 years and 120K miles. No shocks while auto transmission shifts gear. No timing belt issues as it has timing chain which would last forever. Excellent, excellent car. My mechanic was impressed after driving my car while I left for service and assured that the car would be good for atleast another 60K miles. what else would I look for ?

I love this car so much awsomeness

by Hot_wax_tree from Minnesota | February 12, 2007

I love the performance. The 3.0l is one of the best engines Nissan has ever made. It looks so good and there is a ton of aftermarket addons for it. lots of maximas made so easy to find parts.