2002 Nissan Maxima

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Really satisfied with the 2002 Nissan Maxima

by New Driver from Boston, MA | February 1, 2014

Being a new driver, the 2002 nissan maxima is the perfect car. The engine drives smoothly and the power on this car is incredible. Purchased with 135K miles on it. Only complaint is the turn radius. I can't do a full turn out of a lot without doing a three-point turn sometimes. Other than that this car is perfect. Worth every penny.

Had longer than any other car

by Phishy from New Jersey | November 16, 2013

Great performance. Nissan engines are the best...smooth power, most reliable. Handles like a sport sedan, roomy enough for college move-in day.

Love my Max

by Catch22 from Massachusetts | March 5, 2013

I bought my max in 2002 with 19K - one owner trade in. Was looking for a Stick but couldn't find one I liked. This one came into the dealer and I bought it. i have 140K miles on it and have gotten to the point where I've had to start doing some major maintenance - New Struts, Sway bar links, ball joints etc. - but I do the work myself and have kept her on the road. Since I drive it everyday, I don't appreciate the car as much as I should. After driving other cars and getting back into the max - I'm reminded how good this vehicle is. Great motor, tons of power, very reliable and handles decent for a 11 year old vehicle with 140K miles. Can't beat it for a commuter car or kids first car in 2013.

6-speed Max

by Axleburg from Western PA | July 30, 2012

I personally think a 02-03 Maxima is a very good car for the money. It is very hard to find a manual transmission 4 door family sedan now-a-days unless you spend a lot of money on a BMW. Thankfully Nissian has provided this car. I personally think the 02-03 body style is better looking than the 04-06 body style that offeres the same engine and transmission combination. This car comes with a 265 HP V-6 and a 6 speed manual transmission if your get the SE model. With easy driving I can get 28MPG. My car currently has 164,000+ miles on it. I have had to put 0 (not even breaks) money in it since I bought it with 99K on it. This is my second one of these and I currently looking for another one for my wife. This car has not been babied either as it regularlly is driven over 100 mph. Don't be fooled by a 00 or 01 (same body style) they have a 3.0 V-6 and only a 5 speed transmission. They are ok but no comparisian to the 3.5 6 speed. The interior would have been a 5 but I am 6'3 and it is a tad tighter than the 99 Maxima I owned.

Great value

by Super Dad from Jersey City, NJ | March 6, 2012

Great Car. Super value for the price you pay. 2002 Maxima has more powerful engine and lot of the same features as other luxury sedans in its class but still cost a heck of alot less. My friend had the same maxima. I was impressed. Its a nissan but loads of quality, expecially if your on a budget. Im glad to say Im now over 150K miles strong and loving it!

a treat to have

by nissan/infiniti enthusiast from | February 5, 2012

the 00 - 03 maxima is a great car, i prefer the 2 03 just because of slight changes in interior. it has great handling with a front wheel drive thatll pull you through turns with excitement to go faster, and the handling to do so...the sound of the engine is nice and the power is recognized as soon as you touch the pedal. gs mileage is decent, i love driving it. i know i can always count on it to make a hard turn or jump off the line, and at the same time keep a car seat perfectly secure in the back seat. not that those things mix. the bose sound system just bumps inside the car and echos outside the car, people will recognize the song you listen to with your windows shut;its very nice with tinted windows..i would reccomend this to anyone who likes performance mixxed with comfort, its the best vehicle in its class i believe, no other car is this comfortable with that kind of power for that price.

Best car I ever owned

by MAX from Boston | July 18, 2011

I bought my 2002 Maxima in 2005. It had just come off a lease. Max is a black beauty with black leather on the inside. From day one I loved this car. Max always started up and never let me down. I had planned to keep Max for at least 200K (maybe 300K), but my plans changed when my daughter's car (a nice older Accord) started to cost more than it was worth. So I gave her Max and I bought a used Murano. I still love taking Max around town. I told my daughter she had better take care of Max. Max has nearly 160K miles on him and is still going strong. Max was the best car I ever owned. I miss Max.

Help me find a reliable 2002 Maxima

by Donna from Macon, GA | July 7, 2011

After 2 bouts of cancer we need to find a car that would be affordable for us after all the doctor bills. I especially love the Maximas (have had 2 previously) and want one old enough that it is affordable for us and new enough to last us a long time. If you have a 2000-2004 Nissan Maxima to sell, please contact me through cars.com We are in Georgia. Blessings!

Mostly Satisfied

by Chuck from Chicago, IL | May 17, 2010

Purchased an 02 used with 86k miles on it. So far everything is great besides the suspension and slight vibrations that balancing just cant seem to get rid of. My mothers 97 camry with 300k miles on it handles the road better than mines ! Wasnt for that I would I would give this car six stars on 1-5 rating !As far as the engine.. Greatest V6 I ever drove! very powerful and smooth !

Nice

by Just a Guy from Providence, RI | April 17, 2010

I bought my 2002 Maxima in 2005. It was a former leased vehicle and it had 20K on it when I bought it. Here it is 5 years later and it now has 128K on it and is still going strong. Max is a very reliable car. It has never let me down. Sure I've had to put a few bucks into it, but nothing major has gone wrong with it. Keep up with the regular maintenance and Maxima will not let you down. I want to keep Max for at least 75K more. If you want a reliable, fun car buy a used Maxima. I love this car!

Featured Services for this Nissan Maxima