2004 Nissan Murano

2004 Nissan Murano
Available in 4 styles:  2004 Nissan Murano AWD shown

20 city / 24–25 hwy

Overall

Please don't make the same mistake I made.

by Bonkels from Long Island, NY | July 29, 2015

Bought this car less than 3 years ago. Wow I should have kept my checkbook in the glove compartment. The repairs never end and they are never inexpensive. OMG when the car rides nice it's great, but that doesn't last very long at all. Before you know it, you will be reaching for your checkbook. Spent $5,000 in repairs in less than 3 years and I was careful to have the car checked by TWO mechanics before I bought it, locally from a neighbor of my parents. BUY USED CERTIFIED FROM A DEALER and let's stop wasting money on used cars. OK, now I feel better. BTW good luck to the nice guy who bought it for a great price from me.

Looks great, expensive problems

by Vanha Pieru from South Central nebraska | March 23, 2014

Bought unit low miles, lots of Bells & Whistles, due to style, etc. Great ride, lots of appreciative comments, AWD was Great on bad roads. BUT soon had one side fonrt wheel bearing unit go out; Dealer says Can't buy bearings, gotta buy complete unit. LIAR! NOT TRUE!! Found bearings and fixed it. Soon other side, same story. About 100K miles mystery issues, would slow down, not accelerate, etc, etc. Left stranded once but no problem identified. Discoverd if you stop, shut it off, wait a bit and restart usually would go ok. For awhile. Finally identified as Transmission issue, some interior sensor and NO, you can't fix it, gotta buy a new tranny. Only thru Nissan. Almost $4000. Finally traded it for a T*****. Figured this was a fluke, but now daughters Altima is facing similar issue, similar miles, can't identify exact issue; blamed Cam sensors, replace those and seemed better, but soon problem reappeared, did cam sensors again, still similar problem. NO help from dealership or comapny, says too many mile. Both these units are 99.99% paved roads. You can find plenty on-line comments about the trans issues and dealer replacement is SOOO Expensive, a brand ripoff.

acura rl

by car head Mike from new york | January 10, 2014

HUGE DISAPOINTMENT had this car for 5 months had to get this car toed 5 times problems after problems after problems this car been in the shop more than its home the car looks brand new everything is going down hill on it spent 2500 on the car these past 5 months my old Kia spectra ran better than this I got fired from my job because of this unreliable car never will I buy a Nissan AGIAN they need to get it together

So far......love this car!!

by NeeNaGator from Atlanta, GA | May 18, 2013

I am not a mechanical expert, and I know that based on the reliability ratings and reviews, I MAY have some issues mechanically with this car. However, we bought it with 126,000 miles on it (it is now nearing 128,000) and it has been sound so far. I love the way it looks, and it is a very comfortable ride. For a nine year old car, with over 100k miles, it is in really good shape, and we hope to have it for at least 3-4 years. I will let you know!

Breathe of fresh air

by Kenny from Mn | June 12, 2012

Its the perfect vehicle for the roads of Minnesota. It's gas mileage is off the chain. I drive a lot and save a lot, if you know what i mean. the Variable transmission is incredible. besides a Mercedes this is the best vehicle i have driven. It is yet to give me problems and is ready for the trip no matter where you are going. I love this vehicle!!!

Great car

by pq from nyny | June 3, 2012

I love everything about the nissann murano. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who wants a safe reliable all wheel drive car. The all wheel drive feature on this vehicle pay is amazing especially if you are driving your loved ones around.

Gets better over time

by CarNut from Cambridge, MA | May 29, 2012

We purchased this car new in late 2004 and have been very happy with the car since day one. As owners of several small suv's over the years we've had a lot to compare this car to, and overall it's the best one we've owned so far, particularly for the price we paid and total cost of ownership. Things like the CVT transmission make the car unique, offering great low end power and a no shifting all the way up to highway speed. This makes the ride quality excellent, and gives the car lots of power with very good gas mileage. Winter driving is also exceptional, the big wheels and wide tires provide a good ride and amazing control in snow and ice. We've had a few annoyances though. One problem that is common for this car is the sun visor(s) fail over time and won't stay in the up position, which can be really annoying, they're expensive to replace too - upwards of $200 for a new visor which really surprised me. Right now we're making do with no visor on the drivers side. We've had some electrical issues too. Had to replace an alternator, and the power outlet is prone to breaking free of the mounting, leaving it dangling into the passenger side seating area. This isn't a major problem, but its a little shoddy, and disappointing for an otherwise great car. Overall the car has been great. We love the design, it's easy to drive in the city and great on the highway. Maintenance is low, and it's got great ride, power, and gas mileage. I'd recommend it.

Mixed review

by Roberto from Philadelphia, Pa | January 27, 2012

Bought my 04 Murano new. I had a problem with the drive system transfer case leaking after 3 years. Now I have a noise that sounds like the timing chain. Research online indicates this a common, very expensive problem on these early Muranos. I like the styling of the car.

Great Car - I bought a new one I liked it so much

by Bay Area Driver from SF Bay Area | December 26, 2011

I bought the car new and put 96000 miles on it. The only work done on the car other than routine maintenance was brakes at around 50k miles and a new plastic grill because sub zero temps on a trip wrinkled the chrome plating. AWD works great in snow. I am a tall person and found the seats to be very comfortable. One downside is that it is hard to see out the back to park. I bought a 2010 model Murano to replace this one. It has a backup camera and even better seats!

Love my car

by Murano lover from Boston, MA | November 8, 2011

I did purchase a slightly used Murano. I am loving my car. Stylish, roomey, gas efficient and not to mention the attention I get when pulling in and out of areas. My overall car buying experience was a pleaseant one.

Featured Services for this Nissan Murano