2002 Nissan Pathfinder

Available in 4 styles:  2002 Nissan Pathfinder 4dr 4x4 shown

Overall

Great little SUV

by RJ from San Francisco, CA | January 25, 2014

Bought my 2002 Pathfinder LE 4x4 used with 80k miles in 2012. Beautiful Silver paint with black leather and faux wood interior. Power everything. Love the seat warmers. Initially, the vehicle had off-road tires which handled poorly on grooved freeways (felt like you were never in control of the steering..very scary). Switched to Michelin LTXs and the SUV now handles fantastic. This is virtually the same vehicle as the Infinity QX4. Since it's a California car, I didn't encounter front suspension problems due to rust (known issue). Did have the rear upper bushings replaced and shocks to improve handling further (based on age of vehicle). Has been reliable, looks good, comfortable and feels safe. Not too big, but enough room to take passengers and/or my dogs and ability to haul stuff. Not great gas mileage, but this SUV is a keeper. l like that it looks like a truck and not like all of the newer SUV hybrid types out now. Do yourself a favor and find a good condition used one.

Amazingly reliable and safe car.

by SidDaSquid from Chicago, IL | December 23, 2013

We had a 2001 LE with just over 114K on it. Still ran like a champ and smooth as ever. Barely any major issues on it unlike my old 1995 Pathy which went through 3 transmissions!! Sadly during the first snow storm this year I forgot to set the 4WD on and slipped on some black ice on the highway and slammed head first into the highway median and flipped it on it's side. Luckily I had my seat belt on and the airbags saved my face. I walked away miraculously with only a few scratches on my hand. I would definitely recommend this car and am currently in the market for it as well.

extremely grateful

by leslie from | May 6, 2013

This is the car I grew up with. This is the car I learned to drive with. This is the car I grew to love like a part of my family. This is the car that saved my life. This car, ever since it was handed down to me, had become an important part of my life. Everywhere I went, I went with this car. After a decade, it racked up over a quarter of a million miles, and it still ran great. It faced fierce blizzards, heavy downpours, and relentless winds as if they were light flurries, april showers and summer breezes. It actually required quite a bit of maintenance, especially to the engine, but after all it's been through there's no question that it would require some attention. The exterior of the car, though it may seem rugged and "tough", is simply wonderful. The interior of the car is very comfortable and provides a lot of space. This car would be a perfect match for anyone, no matter what their personality or preference. It's a style that anyone can and will love. Recently, I was involved in a terrible car accident. I was t-boned on the drivers side and the impact caused my vehicle to rollover twice. The damage to the car was appalling, to the extent where it was deemed a total loss. However, despite the damages to the car itself, me and my passenger made it out unharmed. The 2002 Nissan Pathfinder gave up its life to save ours. This vehicle is extremely reliable and will protect its passengers (as long as those passengers are being responsible and are wearing their seatbelts). There is no other brand that I will trust more than this one. There is no other brand that I will love more than this one. r.i.p leslie 2002 - 2013

Best car I ever owned

by PatD from Braintree Ma | March 31, 2013

Bought a 2002 Pathfinder LE new. We've hauled boats, bikes, skiis, you name it with this vehicle. It is a workhorse. This was my first new car ever. After 150,000 miles it is still going strong. very little maintainence required. Car has only been out of service a total of a few days in 10 years with no major repairs. Starting to see some rot around the wheel wells but not bad given the new england winters it has seen. Spent most of its life garaged. Had a few issues with electric motors on the drivers seat when the car was new but hasn't been a problem since. Its on its 3rd set of tires. Rides rough with mastercraft coursers but thats what I get for buying cheap tires. The next set will be michelins or bf goodrich. Plan on replacing the car soon and handing it down to the kids. This car has too much value to part with. Love it!! Hope my next one is half as good.

Reliable

by drewcar from Grafton, MA | January 5, 2013

I purchased my Pathfinder SE new in Sept 2001 and it now has 191,000 miles on it. Some rust starting to come near the wheel wells. Other than that - by far the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I change the oil, tires, and brakes. That is it! If you are looking for a reliable SUV, don't be afraid of high miles. This SUV will run forever.

solid rig is a solid value

by pthfndr from Missoula, Montana | June 11, 2011

I bought my '02 for $15,000 used in 2006 with around 50k I think it was. Since then I've driven it across the country through all sorts of weather conditions as well as around the ranch and out camping. Through it all the Pathfinder has been steady and reliable. Never once has it failed to start and after warming up it is still hard to hear if it's running. Now it is sitting at 120,000 miles and cruises down the road as good as any other car or trucks I've owned that were newer with lower miles. The stereo is decent and with the windows down and the sunroof open it is a fun summer ride, then put it in the variable 4X mode and it's sure footed in the winters. I gave it four stars for performance as it gets the gas mileage of a full size truck / suv (using premium no less) and it could be a tiny bit better on hills or passing. Mind you it is not enough to change my opinion of the vehicle. I gave it four stars on comfort as I would like it if the drivers footwell was more flat. It seems that due to the tranny / 4X diff then there is a bulge in the floor where I like to rest my right foot on prolonged drives and that is not possible in the pathfinder. Over all it has been a great vehicle with very few problems and all of them have been minor or regular type maintenance. A well designed, manuverable rig in town or the outdoors with comfort for four and a full size trailter hitch. Speaking of the trailer hitch! It is an awesome feature to have. Not only does it act as a step to the roof rails but I have been rear ended twice and each time the trailer hitch has gone into the grill of the car behind me while absorbing the impact and preventing any damage to my car completely!! If you shop smartly and find one in good shape then you will have an excellent all around vehicle for years to come!

10 YEARS..almost...GOING STRONG

by Family pathfinder from baltimore, md | February 18, 2011

My aunt purchased the pathfinder new in 2002. Since then she got all of the regular scheduled maintaince on the vehicle. Yes, at times some of it was expensive, but what truck isnt. I was given the vehicle in 2008. It was my first vehicle. it is now feb 2011 and the truck has 171k miles on it. It has been all over the east coast and is still running smooth. When i buy a new car my liltte bro is getting is getting the pathfinder. ITS WORTH THE MONEY AND THE EXPENSIVE MAINTAINCE. This truck will NEVER let you down...Its my best friend lol.

It's Worth It

by stevah10 from Video Security Experts, Milton mass | January 6, 2011

nuf said. I've owned two and drove a pathfinder for the past 8 years. It's fine in all Northeast weather conditions. Cleans up well too. You need to watch out for the rust in the long term (not a big deal) and the foolish oxygen sensor idea, but other than those nuisenses and slightly poor milage being traded for safety, comfort and functionality, it's fine to own. I'd do it again.

Are you kidding me???

by JoePathfinder from Pennsylvania | November 28, 2010

I bought my 02 Pathfinder new. Now it has 144,000 miles on it. Mechanically this is the best vehicle I've ever owned. It still does not burn oil and runs and feels like the day I bought it. In 2001/02 the Infinity Q45 was called the best SUV with the best 6 cylinder in the world by trade mags. This the exact same vehicle! Excellent in snow Always starts and runs beautifully! The 3.5 motors gives more than enough power. This things rides sporty and is a rock!

I'll never own anything other than a Nissan

by NissanFan from Seattle, WA | November 12, 2010

This is my first SUV and first Nissan. I've owned Jeep, Pontiac, Honda, Buick and Dodge and after this I will never buy anything but Nissan again. I bought this used about 2 years ago. It had 90k miles on it and I have since put 30k on. It still runs beautifully. I beat up my cars and this has taken a beating as well, but there are very few issues for a 9 year old vehicle. It still has the get up and go I need and the engine is great. The few issues I have had are the keyless entry sometimes won't respond, the windows are rolling up slow, fan belt needs changed and there is a tiny leak in the exhaust causing a small putt putt noise. Quoted at $600 to fix, but otherwise doesn't affect performance, just makes a little extra noise. This is only a 2WD but I have taken it out in the desert of AZ, the rocks of Sedona, which although not the smartest idea for a 2WD, the truck stood up to the test. Now I live in WA and it handles really well on these wet roads. The only con I didn't list, which my list is minimal for a year old vehicle, is the gas mileage. It's not the best, but I know Nissan improved this on newer models. Overall, I am very impressed with Nissan and the durability of their vehicles. I am looking at the Armada next and anything else they put out. I am sure that with another 40 years ahead of me to buy vehicles, Nissan will be it, until I can afford that Ferrari of course.