The Nissan Pathfinder is a body-on-frame sport utility vehicle with three rows of seats. For 2008, the Pathfinder received a new V-8 engine, and its center dash controls were redone for a more refined appearance. The Pathfinder comes in S, SE and LE trims with the V-6; the V-8 is only available in the LE. Competitors include the Jeep Commander and Ford Explorer.
New for 2009
Side-impact and side curtain airbags are now standard.
The Pathfinder features short overhangs and pronounced fender flares. The rear door handles are placed vertically on the C-pillars, and the SUV has an integrated front bumper. The Pathfinder's grille design is similar to Nissan's larger Armada.
Built on a 112.2-inch wheelbase, the Pathfinder is 192.3 inches long and 72.8 inches wide, making it just slightly smaller than the Explorer. The Commander is shorter and wider than the Pathfinder.
- 16-, 17- or 18-inch alloy wheels
- Standard front fog lamps
- Standard power mirrors
- Standard running boards (optional on S)
- Optional automatic headlamps (standard on V-8 LE)
- Optional heated mirrors (standard on LE)
- Optional power moonroof
- Tailgate's glass window can flip up independent of hatch
Seven-passenger seating includes split, folding second- and third-row seats. The front passenger seat also folds. The second-row seat is split 40/20/40. The 50/50-split third row folds into the floor with the head restraints in place. Eight utility hooks are installed in the rear cargo area, and storage is provided under the second-row seats.
Cargo room behind the third row is 16.5 cubic feet, which is better than the Commander and Explorer. The Pathfinder's 79.2-cubic-foot maximum falls just short of the Explorer (83.7) but exceeds the Commander (68.5).
- Available cloth or leather seating surfaces
- Standard dual-zone automatic climate control (optional on S)
- Standard cruise control, power windows and speed-sensitive locks
- Optional heated front seats (standard on LE)
- Optional Bose audio system (standard on LE)
- Optional DVD entertainment system
- Optional navigation system
Under the Hood
The Pathfinder is available with either a V-6 or V-8 engine. All Pathfinders have a five-speed automatic transmission. When properly equipped, the Pathfinder can tow up to 7,000 pounds. A tow-hitch receiver is standard, and the SUV can have rear- or four-wheel drive, which includes automatic and low-range modes.
- 266-horsepower, 4.0-liter V-6 with 288 pounds-feet of torque
- 310-hp, 5.6-liter V-8 with 388 pounds-feet of torque
- Five-speed automatic transmission
- Rear-wheel drive, part-time or full-time four-wheel drive
Safety features include:
- Standard side-impact and side curtain airbags
- Standard antilock braking system with electronic brake-force distribution
- Standard electronic stability and traction control
- Optional rearview camera (standard on LE)
- Active front head restraints
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2009 Nissan Pathfinder.