2013 Nissan Pathfinder

Starting MSRP

Overall

CVT

by leprechaun from Alabama | August 4, 2014

Purchased our 2013 in August 2013. Started experiencing shuddering/rpm surges and in November at 2361 miles the CVT was replaced. My dealer service manager told me that the problem was with the torque converter and in October 2013 it was redesigned. He stated that all Pathfinders manufactured prior to October could have CVT problems. My "new" CVT was supposedly made after the redesign. Then started a frustrating discussion with a Nissan Customer Service as I requested an extended warranty on the CVT. The Nissan rep knew just one word--NO. My frustration came mainly because of my prior Nissan, a 2007 Maxima. It was traded in on the Pathfinder due to a developing medical issue and was too low to the ground. Several years after we purchased the Maxima, Nissan sent us a 100,000 mile warranty on the CVT in the Maxima. A few owners had experienced problems so they sent extended warranties. I guess if it is their decision, it is OK but not if asked for. I did a little on line research and wrote a letter to a Nissan Vice President at Nissan HQ in Tennessee. I detailed all that had happened and my discussions tithe customer service rep. I have in my possession and extended warranty for the power train on my Pathfinder. It is valid for 7 years or 100,000 miles. I also gave a copy to my dealer service department.

Nissan Drivetrain (CVT) Problems

by Bob from California | May 9, 2014

When I bought the 2013 Pathfinders, like any new owner I was thrilled. . Except for the ongoing drivetrain (CVT) problems Nissan is having. So when my new pathfinder began shuttering, shaking and loosing power at 900 miles, I contacted customer service, who referred me to the local dealership, who with all of their up-to-date computer diagnostics, could not find the problem. I left the service department thinking “This is so strange” a brand new vehicle having a major problem. I continued to dive the vehicle experiencing the same heavy shutter and shaking; Brining the vehicle in to service again and again. . On one service call, I had the opportunity to speak with the service manager who perhaps felt obligated to explain the problem; And what he said surprised me. He said; Nissan was having a major problem with their CVT on multiple vehicles, especially the pathfinder and Altima. The problem lies within the software that was designed to operate the drivetrain. The shuttering is actually the result of damage.Nissan states, that by 1,100 miles, the drivetrain is destroyed and not replaceable. Whether, your passed 1,100 mile mark, you’ll still need to use Nissans campaign programs, and have three service calls before the service department is authorized to replace the drivetrain. Thats right, the whole drivetrain. . Nissan is well aware of the problem before you bought the vehicle. . There is no fix yet for the drivetrain and no guarantee the replacement will fix the problem. . Sadly I feel set up and very disappointed. And with what I know today, I would advise anyone who wishes to purchase a 2013 pathfinder or any vehicles with a CVT drivetrain to ask Nissan to be honest and come clean about the CVT problem before they put their customers into financial harms way.

Looked for a 6 cyl car with tow package

by sierra from Fresno, CA | May 5, 2014

We wanted a Nissan Pathfinder for towing a small trailer. We used cars.com to locate one. Everything was very easy. My husband and I highly recommend purchasing a car this way. Much less stressful than going to a car dealer.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Moonfoof Noise

by Kishor from Tampa Florida | April 14, 2014

Overall the SUV if pretty good for the price if it didn't make so much wind noise with the moonroof. After I purchased it started really driving it there is a constant noise inside the cabin. when driving due to a problem with insulation. I took this to the deanship multiple times. They got poor response from the manufacture. We test drove other cars, in the end they basically said that because I have a moon roof, I should expected some noise difference since it is not metal. If this was mild its not a problem, but it is nearly 10 decibel louder than the other SUV which is unacceptable. More interesting the dealership manager and technician agree this is beyond mild. I basically had no resolution to the problem and to accept it as poor design. I will NEVER buy another Nissan product!!

LOVE this car

by Camping in the Rockies from Denver, Colorado | April 7, 2014

Purchased the SV with a towing package in May 2013. I have driven it everywhere: long road trips, towing a pop-up camper into the Mountains and running errands. I already have 15,800 miles on it and have only changed the oil once. It has power when I need it too and it is lighter than my old SUV so it gets better gas mileage.

Transmission Problem

by What the from Bulerson, TX | March 24, 2014

Purchased 2013 Pathfinder June 2013. Last we it started sputtering. Took it to the dealer on Friday. I was told that the transmission is gone. So I am in a loaner car. The new transmission came in today which the service rep said this one they are putting in is a better one. I have a called into Nissan Consumer Advisor. I do not wont the car back. I will mess up my credit if they wont take it back. Another nISSIAN Down the drain.

Shuddering

by Sarah from Carolina, PR | March 21, 2014

I bought the Nissan Pathfinder 2013 on Sept 2013. In less than two weeks between 1000 RPM and 1500 RPM the car start to shudder really bad. I went to different dealers about three times and all of them told me that is a normal function of the transmission, which I really doubt it. One day I went to the gas station and the regular gasoline was not available so I refuel the SUV with Premium Gasoline and guess what, the Pathfinder didn't shudder anymore. From that day I am refueling the Pathfinder with Premium Gasoline and is really perfect.... I believe everyone is looking the transmission and probably is not! At least in my case. Try it and let us know your findings

carefull with it in the mountain states

by Ken from New Mexico | March 20, 2014

It is comfortable, and smooth. The stability control is a little over protective, and it has major blind spots, we had to remove the second row headrests in order to see out the back. We lucked out and didn't have the Judder/stutter problem, but what we did experience could be worse. Apparently below about 20 miles an hour the transmission will not downshift when you put it into low, so far Nissan corporate has not even acknowledged the issue even with the dealership techs confirming it.

Uses car for Towing

Good car, never got the MPG they promised

by I want my MPG from Santa Clarita, CA | March 18, 2014

So far, this car is a million times more comfortable than the Highlander we traded in for it. The only major complaint I have about this is that I have never got anywhere near the 20-26MPG they promise. Only once have I got 21 MPG and that was with essentially all freeway driving. If this is only city, mostly what we use this for, I get about 17. Aside from this, the car is great. Unfortunately, the MPG was one of the deciding features for us.

More is not better

by 13 Nissan Cars - No more from New York, NY | February 12, 2014

Leased the Platinum with all the trim and options. Problem is, the more options, the more options that do not work. Middle row heated seats, do not work. Heated side mirrors do not work. Even the rear window washer fluid dispenser does not work. Middle row "easy" glide seat operation is far from easy. Then get a recall about the ABS brakes now working correctly under certain road conditions. Once again, is this a 4WD SUV? People with normal lives do not have time to go to a dealership and have them waste your day to repair it. Throw in the fact that NissanUSA and its dealers do not offer loaners (without having to pay), really makes it worse. I called Nissan Consumer just to vent and let them know after 13 Nissan vehicles, its time for me to move on. Audi here I come, i just have to wait 2 years.