2004 Nissan Sentra

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Super Reliable

by Rusty from Toronto | April 13, 2014

We bought this car back in 2008 with about 25 thousand KM on the odometer. Now it currently has about 250,000KM! My dad bought this car, expecting it to only last about three years or so, but its actually managed to last 7 years (with high KM) and pretty much no problems. However, I honestly hate this car. It looks really....bad and the interior is really cheap, also I cannot fit into it properly ( I am 6'1 and my dad is 5.3). The engine is so-so, its not amazing, but its enough to get you from A to B. I have mixed feelings about this car, on one hand, its super reliable, and gets great gas mileage, but on the other hand, its kinda slow, small and does not look that great. If you need something reliable just to get you from here to there (or if you want to teach your kid how to drive) i suggest buying this car, if not, look at something else.

What a mess!!!

by Evan from | November 15, 2013

Bouught this car in 2008, with 30, 000 miles on it. Within 7 months after buying it, the car became VERY hard to start. Took it to the dealer, they replaced the starter, 6 months later same problem. Took it back, and they had no explanation for it, so I just learned to deal with it. Since then, its been in the shop twice for the fuel pump, 3 times for some sensor issue, and once for a problem with the transmission. Not to mention the countless times its randomly died on the highway with no explanation. This will definetly be my last nissan.

Good all rounder

by Sentra Owner from Philliadelipha, PA | November 28, 2011

I bought and SE-R Spec V, it's quick and has good gas (~22mpg). The car handle well so it feels safe on the road, athough the wheels can spin a bit on less grippy surfaces in a straight line. The inside and outside aren't anything special, you can hardly tell the difference between this model and the standard ones. The engine is very reliable, there are plenty of cars with 200k on them. The only downside is I assume people think there for kids. Mines yellow which makes it easy for people to see, hopefully that will be good from a saftey point of view.

Overall a great car!!!

by All about the imports!! from new jersey | August 23, 2011

Specifically got this car to learn how to drive a manual and did its job very well. Even though its a 1.8S, it takes off really quick in 1st gear and is GREAT on gas. Only major problem I had was the fuel pump which caused the car to struggle to start, but once I changed it, never had another problem since. The exterior (in my opinion) looks nice with some potential. The interior is kinda crammed in the back and the seats are pretty stiff but besides that, the car is great. I put some HIDs on the headlights and tints on the windows to improve the exterior.

Great car for the money

by Commuter from Lehi, UT | August 4, 2011

Purchased this car new in 2004. Test drove both the Honda and the Toyota, liked this one best. 35mpg on the freeway, 150,000 miles so far with very few issues. Back seat is very tight, even for my kids. Interior plastics are cheap but the car was only 13k new. If you want a inexpensive reliable run around car this would be a great choice.

Great Car

by cars cars cars from roxbury, nj | February 17, 2011

I had bought a 2004 nissan sentra previously owned with 35k miles on it. And I have to say this car has been great. I mean dont get me wrong there has been a few little things but has cost me like nothing as long as you keep up on the matnaince it will never let you down. This car is great on gas and it really helps my pocket since I drive alot. The interior has stood up to a lots being the kids animals or even me spilling something. Overall I say it is a great car to have......

Gets me where I need to go

by Around Town Driver from Virginia Beach, VA | September 20, 2010

Bought the car new in 2004. Has had problems starting from the 1st year. Dealership wouldn't admit it was an issue under warrenty. Factory CD player was replaced in the 1st 6 months. The replacement broke a year later. The replacement for that 9 months later. Front wheel bearings went bad by year 2. Front power windows are slow to respond in cold weather after 3rd year. Belts go bad faster than any car I have delt with. Have never gotten the estimated fuel economy. Average around 22 mpg with about 40% highway driving, never gets 30 even with a long cruise control highway trip. I have done everything to try and improve this (air filter clean, tires, featherlight acceleration, etc.) but nothing helps. Nothing major has broken on the vehicle but all the small things add up to a not so hot buy for me. I love the interior feel of the car and visibility. Seats are a little stiff for long rides and the interior fabric does not repel spills in any way. Things are stained for good the second you spill. It gets me where I need to go so I guess you could call it reliable but I wouldn't buy another sentra.

A very fuel-eco-friendly car

by Sentra Wrecker from Lebanon, TN | December 13, 2009

This was my first car back in 2008, when gas was ridiculous. The main reason I got it was because of the 30+ miles/gallon. It turned out to be an OK car. Car was purchased with 86,000 miles on it. First, the reliability wasn't the greatest. The first thing that happened was not too long after the car was purchased was the engine belt broke and the car shook a lot. Replaced it. Then, about 5,000 miles later, the thermometer broke and the car overheated, blowing the head gasket. This forced the car the drive very odd, like flooring it and not accelerating at all, and the engine would miss. Anyways, that was a nice $1300 to replace. About 20,000 miles past with no problems. Then, at about 100,000 miles, the internal computer over-heated while driving and the car shut off. I would pull it over, but the car wouldn't start. Had to wait for it cool down and drive another 5 miles before it happened again. Got the internal computer replaced for $500. Then, I totaled it about 1,000 miles after that happened. Even though it wasn't the most reliable car, I loved it and was very upset when it was gone. The sound system was awesome, plus you have a jack to hook your iPod up to. A/C worked well and had astounding handling and control. Not to mention the 30 miles/gallon. The sunglasses compartment was a nice feature, too. But I hated those dang cup holders. Anything taller than a can of coke would block access to A/C control. So, I just mostly used the rear cup holders which were actually easy to reach. The trunk had a good amount of space for such a small car. Overall, a good, Eco-friendly car with a few nice features. But reliability is a concern. But, it might have just been the people who serviced it. I would recommend this spite somewhat lower-tier ratings.

Great car overall

by Pegege from Arizona | April 16, 2008

Got a 2004 Sentra about 2 months ago, and all in all, I'm pretty happy with it. Purchased at 49k miles, and its running great. has about a 300, 350 mile range on a full tank. Have not experienced any major problems so far, but I should note the cheap interior. It's not holding up well, but I should also mention that I live in Arizona where the sun kills most cars. Performance is pretty good overall. Excellent pickup and acceleration, and handles sharp corners nicely. It's more roomy then the majority of Toyota's I have been in. Being a tall guy (6"3) It's a pain finding something that I fit in. The outside looks fairly sporty, and I can safely say I like it. Lots of the exterior is made from cheap plastic, but its not a huge deal really.

Best economic car I have driven

by Student turned Enterpreneur from Boston, MA | June 7, 2007

-Best ROI in it's class. -The pickup is amazing and beats Wolksvagon and Corolla in a flash. -Good mileage - gives me about 28-32 mpg -The price is very reasonable and beats competition for the pre-loaded basic features. -The looks are not the greatest from outside, but inside apholstry is neat. My best is the auxillary 35mm jack input.

Featured Services for this Nissan Sentra