2000 Nissan Xterra

Available in 5 styles:  Xterra XE shown

Overall

Excellent reliability

by mike from atlanta,ga. | July 27, 2014

I have had this car for about 5 years now. The only thing i had to do in that time is change the alternator. Only flaw is gas mileage.

2000 xterra v6 3.3

by coastguard aviator from fresno | May 8, 2014

I bought my X on Halloween 1999, It has done everything I have asked it to do. been thru white out snow on slick roads over sierras, four wheeling in highcountry.It is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned, the gas isn't the best ,but it is a 4000 pound steel frame tank.I love driving it.I have slept in the back,my son drove it to college for two years.It has 156000 miles and runs strong.I like my x better than the new ones.I cannot see myself ever getting rid of it. I feel safe in it. It is a solid truck. carl

tough truck for those needing an offroader

by nismofan from texas | January 12, 2013

i have had my x for almost a year now and not much wrong so far, it has 155,000 miles on it now and had 144,000 when i bought it. the starter died, factory 13 years old so didnt surprise me, the distributer also went out 2 months later but once again a factory part so after seeing that didnt surprise me, its got moving parts and moving parts fail eventually. but i have found out i am not good at mods as every mod i have done to this truck caused issues. such as "fixing" the sunroof noise caused it to leak(now fixed with silicone) and trying to rig up my own battery hold down left me on the side of the road. but so far no issues from the manufacture process of this car just things that eventually wear out that have had to be replaced and preventative care. and the other things that have broken or leaked were of my doing from trying to fix what wasnt broke. great truck deserved its motor trend truck of the year award!

The last real suv

by xtremexterra from fort worth,tx | September 16, 2012

i have had my xterra for about 6 months now,i must say its not for those who want a luxury car ride. It is for those who want a rugged, no frills suv that can take them to work, and take them on a weekend adventure in the same package. This truck has been nothing but reliable in the half year i have owned it, only 1 thing has broke, and it was a $130 fix an an hour of my time, not bad. the only other expense is gas, and routine maintenance, great suv for those who are tired of the car based ones and want a real capable true to its roots suv, I recommend it to everyone in the 4x4 market

rugged,fun,relaible

by kms1990 from fort worth,tx | June 25, 2012

bought my xterra with 145000 miles on er and she runs strong exterior is great if you find one that the plastic bumpers have faded put tire shine gel on it let it dry just like new those bumpers are my only complaint on body, the tires are an odd size 265/70 15 so not many choices but there are good ones and not that expensive interior the cruise control main button could be in a better spot but not bad love it all round great suv real bumpy ride but its built on a truck frame and built to go off road so bumpy means its fun

Good vehicle for 11 years

by ex terra driver from Tallahassee, FL | December 12, 2011

Xterra was what it was sold to be: a rugged SUV that could do most anything. It had good ground clearance and sufficient power to do what needed to be done. Repair record was worse than expected and eventually lead to my getting rid of the vehicle though 11 years of service is pretty good. Utility was better than expected with good towing capabilities and other cargo storage. Gas efficiency was underwhelming.

Xterra at 200k and strong

by small4x4guy from Central Michigan | August 5, 2011

My 2000 X-Terra XE just turned 200K miles and it is still tight and strong. Repairs so far; recommended services per Mfr. Maint Schedule, all. Cut the rattling heat shields off the stainless exhaust. Aluminum shield welded to a stainless exhaust. Bad idea, good news is the ORIGINAL exhaust is fine at 200k! New rear leaf springs at about 60K, I wrestled with the factory Nerf bars and paint not sticking to them for the first 6 months I owned it then the dealer got tired of repainting them and asked if they could have them Rhino-coated, I agreed and they look and perform great. This was a first model year vehicle that despite the caution of a lot of friends turned out better than I could have ever imagined. I'm so happy I just had it painted and some surface rust repaired and plan to drive it till it melts down. It is the only vehicle that at over a couple of years old everything still works, e-locker, windows locks etc. One complaint, the key fobs both broke at around 50K and were a poor design. All things considered I can live with it (unless there is a Nissan exec reading in which case fix them for me, this was a great review!) also the engine could have used a few more horses (New model has 230, 2000 had 170) and the seats are in need of some padding they are like the racing seats in a cafe car, and with the stiff 4x4 suspension it wears your but out after about 3 hours in the truck. I have since owned a Titan (sucked), and am back at long last to a Jeep. My wife drives the X-terra now and when I mentioned selling it she gave me the wife look. If you have one, keep it, If you are considering one, consider that the price has only gone up less than 2k in 11 years. Buy it.

12 years and going strong

by xbrooklyngrl from | May 25, 2011

I've had my 2000 Nissan Xterra since Oct. 1999. It is the original model with a V6 engine. The truck has just under 160k miles on it. Overall it has been very reliable. However, I have never liked having to take the rear seat cushions out to put the seats flat the back (which is a hassle); the gear basket on the roof is useless in my opinion and its a hassle to keep clean also, it has always seems like warm air comes through the vents (I usually keep it turned to the defrost position). Overall, I think it was a good value for the money when I bought it. However, I would not buy another Xterra. Mainly due to the price of gas, the body styling on the newer models and the fact that there are way for options for vehicles of this type.

Great Car

by jonny from New York NY | March 28, 2011

I love it! Its great for off roading and just having a good old time! You realy end up getting your moneys worth!

Most reliable truck I've ever Owned

by Off Road Enthusiast from Illinois | March 5, 2011

This truck is a good first truck for you son to start out with. It is not big enough for him to tow a huge boat. It is very reliable, It will get you were you need to go.

Featured Services for this Nissan Xterra