2002 Nissan Xterra

2002 Nissan Xterra

Available in 11 styles:  2002 Nissan Xterra 4dr 4x4 shown

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Fixed it up into a reliable ride

by nivloc61 from Logan, WV | July 2, 2014

I traded an old ATV for my 2002 Xterra in Dec. 2013. It had 217,000 miles on it and a few issues. The first 5 issues was 3 o2 sensors , the noc sensor and the antiloc brake sensor. After replacing, the 3.3 runs very smooth. I have installed new tires and wheels, dyed the carpet green and installed camo superhyde seat covers.The headliner is a problem. I'm going to remove the fabric. and paint the hardboard. Someone had tried to abuse this vehicle, but they failed in my book. It is built very tough and looks and rides super rolling down the road and in the hills of WV.Fuel milage 18-20 mpg. It is a 5 speed with OD.. I plan to keep it for a few years. I think I can get another 100k out of it. Not a bad trade for a $500 ATV.

No surprises (a good thing)

by datsun/nissan from Milwaukee, WI | July 2, 2014

Essentially a re-bodied 1st gen Pathfinder (pre '95). Same engine (3.0L->3.3L), transmission, frame, axles, etc. Rides the same, same performance - which may not be a good thing as it's a slug compared to more modern vehicles but anyone whose owned or ridden in any 3-ish liter VG powered Nissan truck won't be in for any surprises. I like the tried and trued platform, it'll last forever assuming it's taken care of properly of course.

Great for hauling stuff and reliable

by SUV Enthusiast from Williamsburg, VA | May 9, 2012

What I like about this SUV Hydraulic tail gate, easy to load in lots of stuff in trunk Spare tire underneath the car - easy to access Family friendly - Car seats easy to install in back seat Driver sits high on the highway - see distances Reliable - does not need a lot of servicing A great all around SUV fun to drive and great price for the miles!

Sporty, attractive, and fun

by Nissan guys from New York | May 2, 2011

My dad owned a 2002 Xterra XE for 4 years, purchased it in 2006 with 80k. He got it completely stripped down, just the way he liked it, with a 3.0 L 5-speed stick, crank windows, manual locks, typical. I was actually shocked it even had the nicer alloy wheels and tubular step rails, as well as a cd player! this car was nothing but GREAT to us with no major problems, and nothing but reliable. The only reason we got rid of it was becuase he was hit by a firetruck last month and it got totaled, spun around three times and hit a fence, walked right out of the car...actually walked home that day from the hospital. bottom line, great truck, worht the money, one of the best!

monster goes anywhere

by beast from | March 13, 2011

i have a 2002 xterra with 250000 miles and drive on the beach every year plus camping all the time plus it just eats snowy conditions. best car ive ever owned

I LOVE my Xterra! Only minor complaints.

by Lady Sexterra from Arizona | July 8, 2010

I'll start with my minor complaints b/c after that it'll just be a schmooze-fest. Floor heat option actually burns one foot CD storage console- cant put CDs in or take out while vehicle is in park. Emergency brake is easily bumped into place Lever to lift the hood is sometimes hard to find Back seats when folded in down position are angled so if you tend to truck camp it can be rather uncomfortable. Scary driving in high wind condidtions. But---I LOVE this vehicle. It has had very few problems and considering I typically only do my regular tire checks, oil changes and filter changes that says a lot. I've driven this car up and down the west coast several times, through mountains, deserts, sandy conditions, camping, near water, in monsoons and in bumpy terrain. It's got 108k miles as of now (mid 2010) and I purchased it new in 2002 with only 13 miles on it. I hope it lasts me a long long time b/c I genuinely love this truck. I've only loved one other car in my life as a driver, my Honda CRX-Si back in the day. But once that was ready to be done, cars that came after didnt satisfy the way my Xterra does. It's a great vehicle for towing utility trailers, hauling weight, driving to and from errands, camping, water sports, and it's rugged w/out looking hillbilly. It'd be great if it got better city mileage with gas.

My first truck

by Sjoerde from Ayden, NC | September 28, 2009

I bought my 2002 Xterra SE used with 123,000 miles and one year later with 140,000 miles I havent had any problems. If I could I would keep this car forever! I checked the gas milage when I first got it and it was getting 22mpgs on the highway with a stock V6. About three months later I put a programmer in it and it seems to do a little better on gas on the high way but I havent checked it yet. I would recommed this truck to anybody looking to buy an SUV and planning to actually use their truck.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Very Good SUV.

by Dixiedog from Florida | June 1, 2009

I just did my 100,000 maintaince on it. If you love her and take care of her, she will do the same. I had only one problem when the AC compressor went out for $600 but in Florida, you use it 24/7. The ext. plastic grill will fade but you can paint or replace it. I am keeping mine for at least another four years. It is a great SUV for running over things. I have accidentally driven over a bush, a cement median divider, big deep pot holes, parking lot dividers, and the alignment never went out. My SUV has the 16" SE option. If I ever get another SUV, it will be a Nissan. I might need a Pathfinder now, for extra room. Owning a car requires maintaince, some people complain about doing it as a repair in reviews.

A vehicle I am PROUD to say that I own

by Average High School Kid from Franklin, North Carolina | November 22, 2008

I'm 16 years old and I absolutely LOVE my 2002 Nissan Xterra SE 4X4. I was trying to find an SUV that was reliable, sporty, and good looking with the capabilities of off roading. The Nissan Xterra gave me all of that plus more. I would recommend this to any younger person who wants a nice SUV that they can have fun in. Nissan has also proved to be one of the most reliable vehicles on the road, so you won't have to worry about it breaking all the time. I get compliments on my Xterra ALL the time from people of all ages. Money WELL spent :)

Good To Go-- For Awhile

by RadioMagic from WASHINGTON | May 30, 2008

Bought the 2002 X new in '02, never have had any difficulties until the odometer hit 89k...then all heck broke loose. It started with the "Service Engine Light" coming on...the Nissan tech determined from a scan on it that the knock sensor and an O2 sensor failed...why oh why Nissan put the knock sensor in the inside of the engine I'll never know...well, after $1300.00 to repair that, the light did go out. Then I had a complete brake job on it and the techs didn't check the front bearings...200 miles later I had one freeze up...another $550.00 on top of the $275.00 brake job...all this in about a month of each other...outside that, it does ride nice to and from the cash machine to withdraw money from my savings account....

Featured Services for this Nissan Xterra