2006 Nissan Xterra

Available in 8 styles:  2006 Nissan Xterra 4x4 shown

Overall

WORTH EVERY PENNY!

by T.Absher from Evansville, IN | October 4, 2013

I love the Nissan Xterra. I previously owned a Jeep Liberty and constantly had issues with it. So, I traded it in for a Xterra. I love my new car! It is spacious, and feels like a tank. I feel as though it is safe and practical for my family.

Xterra Review

by Artilla from Virginia | January 11, 2013

Ok, so I'm pretty big into cars, and i'm test driving the Nissan Xterra and several other cars before I decide what I want. I have driven several Xterras from the 2005 model year. The big thing that I have noticed with this car is the reliability... Fun as heck to drive, looks great, serves my offroad purposes... but every car I've driven or test drove from this model are the exact same... there are a lot of small electrical problems with the cars... I've also had problems with other things as well... while they may be minute problems, it would be very timely and costly to keep fixing problems. As far for the engine, great engine, great performance, great power. Excellent offroad capabilities, but how can you drive if the car is constantly in the shop?? You will have more time and money spent in the shop than you will enjoying the car... If you get lucky, you will love it... problem is, how lucky are you!?

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Love the Xterra

by SUV enthusiatst from boston,MA | April 16, 2012

I love it. The extras that came with it such as the cd changer and tow package. The Nissan dealership was friendly and helpful and very polite.

i love my Xterra

by kid from Tulsa | December 13, 2011

I have an Xterra and i absolutely love it. its got the torque in the beginning where it really counts. In my opinion its the best car I've owned.

I <3 my Xterra

by leann from Upstate NY | November 12, 2011

So, I bought this as a second vehicle, because I was moving to snow country NY and this car has not only been functionally great, but a fun time as well. I believe I have the SE with the side bars. It has good pick up, handles hills very well secondary to it's excellent torque. I have never had issues in the snow and I only use the 4WD when absolutely necessary. Referring to off-roading, this car is the snaps. We have run it through hardcore dirt roads, rocks, and the river and she isn't phase. Her strongest off-road potential is in off-roading snow. Since it is smaller it can whip around safely. Which brings me to an important point, this point does not have that horrible "I'm about to tip" feeling that I experienced with so many SUVs on test drives. I heart my Xterra, I could only find one for sale in the city I lived in at the time and I know why. My only complaint, the side bars are chipping bad, but that's an easy $100 powder coat pain job.

Excellent value

by SUV fan from Westwood, NJ | October 10, 2011

I recently purchased a 2006 Nissan XTerra SE for my soon to be 17 year old son. Plenty of power, but fuel economy so far only about 15 mpg around town. 4WD system for wet/snow or off road only, so have not used much yet. Somewhat noisy, but optional Rockford Fosgate sound system overpowers road noise. Excellent cargo capacity. Rear seats fold flat and passenger front seat as well. Very rugged styling, with sturdiest roof rack I have ever seen. 5 speed automatic always able to find proper gear with very little sensation of shifting. Deep tinted windows excellent for keeping interior cool, and concealing cargo. Excellent anti lock braking system stopping vehicle consistently with little if any fade.

No More Nissans

by Disappointed from PA | December 5, 2009

Bought this Nissan Xterra SE new in November 2006. Since then, we've been sadly disappointed. Stock tires needed replaced at less than 17,000 mis. Paint chipped from the running boards in less than 6 months.Rust is showing through paint on the hood. Door latch malfuntioned causing the alarm to sound when the doors were locked. Front brakes (pads and rotors ) needed replaced twice in 3 years. Tranny and radiator failed at 51,000 miles requiring full replacement. Nissan did not honor the drive train warranty. Nissan Consumer Affairs Dept was unresponsive and uncaring. Buy ANYTHING else. We will!

Faulty Gauge Fuel Sensor

by r_u_learn from | October 17, 2009

2006 Nissan XTerra: At 35K + miles check engin light came on at about 1/4 tank of gas. It turns out to be the fuel sensor/gauge is faulty. Manufacturere is not doing a recall on models past 2005. Cost to repair is approx $500.

Great Xcept for Reliability

by malibu from Connecticut | June 30, 2009

Love Xterra's look and handling (especially in snow, etc.). Purchased new in '06, have 46K on it and in the past month needed to replace belt/tensioner, propeller shaft(front), rear differential seals, and need fuel sensor so my SES light goes off and I know how much fuel I actually have!

I guess my XTerra missed the 'Reliability' Boat

by vtturkey01 from Charleston, SC | October 19, 2008

I have owned my 06 XTerra for a little over two years now. At 11k miles my transmission went out and left my wife and I stranded on the side of the highway in the middle of no where. Since I have had it back in the shop for a new fuel gaugesensor (all of a sudden didn't know how much fuel I had), new catalytic converter, new IPDM module, and currently the dealer doesn't know what is wrong with it because they are not getting an error code on their diagnostic machine. Needless to say, I have not been pleased with the service that has been conducted, nor have I been pleased having to have it towed to the dealer four times now. Three of those four were within the same week. The feaures are great and I have enjoyed while I have driven it. I have the Rockford Fosgate system and have used it extensively for tailgating. If I didn't have the above issues, I would throughly enjoy this vehicle.