1999 Oldsmobile Alero

$914–$4,486

Overall

Very nice car

by speedracer from Castalia, Ohio | December 2, 2013

We needed a second car, and my local dealer had a 1999 Alero GL for sale. Very low mileage for it's age, only 104,000. It has all the options I could ask for, and most, if not all of them work properly. The body is in very good condition, only a small spot of rust near the bottom of the left passenger door. It could be repaired easily, although it's not bad enough at this time. The engine is quiet and runs well. Gas mileage is pretty good, although it could be just a bit better for a four cylinder. The ride is smooth and comfortable for a car of its size. Had some break work done, but it seems pretty much ok now. I like the interior, the setup is nice, with the only thing I'm not crazy about, is the "single" cup holder in the center console. The seats are very comfortable, and the stereo has a nice clear sound. To sum it up, this is a nice vehicle, and I want to keep it as long as possible.

Good used car

by fleet driver from Garner N.C | September 19, 2013

Bought my Alero from a used dealer. Its got 145k on it. Its a four cylinder automatic 4 door. Engine is strong and its looks great. I love the body style. The good, great handling, looks great, leather seats and all electric windows, locks and mirrors and plenty of power. Im 6 ft tall and plenty of leg and head room. Its easy to work on. The bad. I hate the automatic locks, power steering pump has quit and blown a hose. Transmission slips occasionally. The dinger will alert you for everything including seatbelt and low fuel. Interior is cheap looking and feels flimsy. Center caps fly off easily. Brakes wear uneven and rotors are always warping resulting in shaky brakes. Gas mileage not as good as it would seem in such a small car.

Never again

by Paksen from Fond du Lac, WI | June 9, 2013

Bought this car cause I needed something quick. I ended up late for work twice in the first week because the security system did not recognize my key! This was a constant issue the entire year I put up with this car. I live in a northern state and have to deal with snow. This car was sliding in half an inch of the stuff. I know a car low to the ground like the alero won't be the best in snow but as I have never had a problem with any other vehicle I have owned I thought I could deal with it. The car was never as comfortable as I eventually read either. I took only one trip in it. After that I rented cars to drive more than 50 miles away from home. I finally gave up on it when, after getting $1500 dollars of work done it needed a new transmission too.

One of the best I've owned

by slenderman from SouthCentral PA | January 13, 2013

This is my 80 mi. RT commuter. Bought as a GX coupe with 33k on the clock from a GM dealer, 4 Cyl. 2.4L LD9 engine, auto trans, manual windows, a/c. Sporty handling, good acceleration. Great Delco audio system. Since I've had it, replaced front wheel bearings, brake pads, brake rotors (these seem to warp easy), water pump, alternator. Be sure you keep the oil topped off on these; I switched to 10W-30 when the mileage was getting up there (it was starting to use a lot of 5W-30). Use a better quality oil filter on these also. Only electrical issue I've had involved the instrument cluster and the vent fan; it used to cut in and out randomly in wet weather. Now getting ready to put it to pasture; it's now got cancer behind the doors and 241,000 on it. (It still has the original spark plugs in it!)

decent car for the money

by Used_Cars 01!! from MA | December 3, 2012

I had bought my 1999 oldsmobile alero gls coupe 6 cyl with 86,000 miles on it, overall the car had decent pick up, decent options, Drove pretty smooth, never any major engine problems, although there were some complaints. shortly after purchase there was as issue with the ani-lock brakes, and right before summer the fan or blower stopped working for the a/c / heat. And for some reason unknown, the car would start up fine when cold, or not heated up, but once it was already running for a while, and then tried to start again, it would act like it would start but then die, you would have to rev the engine a bit to keep it running, after that it was fine. the previous owner didn't take care of the leather so they had lots of cracks all over them, and cosmetically the car started falling apart, such as the cloth on the ceiling was falling down in the back, not much, the dash board leather started to peel back, the sun roof would kind of stick but still open, and some expectable rust in front of the back tires on the sides. overall I would still recommend this car, these issues besides the engine not starting are all to be expected with the age of the car. like I said it still drove very nice and is a sharp looking car.

Sorry its time 2 go

by OnTheRoadUphill from | January 19, 2012

I had a v6 front wheel drive. For the money it was a comfy and reliable car. Started up in all weather. I put over 150k miles on it. Too many things to fix at the end so i gave it up (cracked windshield, broken mirror, battery died, other things not worth my trouble) otherwise would have kept it longer.

fast for a tiny v6

by car enthusiast from jacksonville, NC | September 30, 2008

this car was bought used and i had problems with the radiator system. if you do buy this car and a hose or anything breaks with keeping your car cool and water/coolant from getting in the oil you will have to replace every related peice. keep your whole car maintenanced and use premium gas with octane booster(at least104) and it will keep up with v8 engines with added engine life and gas mieage.

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by JC from LAKELAND,FL | August 23, 2008

I HAVE READ A LOT OF REVIEWS ABOUT THIS CAR, MOSTLY NEGATIVE STUFF. I HAVE OVER 142,000 MILES ON MY CAR AND EVERYTHING IS STILL ORIGINAL ON THAT CAR, BY THE WAY IT IS A 99 ALERO GLS. THE ONLY THING EVER TO BE WORKED ON IS THE REAR DEFROGGER, A/C, CHANGED THE SERPENTINE BELT ONLY 2X, AND WINDOW REGULATOR WAS REPLACED AND ALSO THE POWER STEERING PUMP AND THE PULLEYS. I THINK THAT IS NOT BAD AT ALL FOR A 9 YR OLD CAR.

Nice Car

by Some Dude from Montana | January 26, 2008

Well, people are constantly complaining about how there's all these problems with their '99 Alero's. at least the ones who post online. You know what I noticed? Almost all of their problems happened before 75,000 miles. When I bought mine, it had 100,000 miles on it. Ran great then, runs great now. The person who had it before me put it through it's paces, so there's a couple of minor after-market upgrades (new gauge covers, stupid fake hood scoop), but no engine or performance upgrades, purely aesthetic. I haven't had a problem with my car since I bought it, 45,000 miles ago. Yeah, I work it hard, but it still runs great. I think that if there's problems, they'll probably be before 75,000 miles. If you find one of these cars over that, (as long as the mileage isn't insane), my advice would be to buy it. Oh, and if you're worried about finding parts for a car whose manufacturer who got canned by GM, don't worry. The Alero is the cousin of Pontiac's Grand Am, and parts aren't that hard to find. My one and only complaint is that the car doesn't deal with really cold weather as well as it could. When the temperature gets below -5, (Fahrenheit), the car engine looses power until it's warmed up and I have trouble with the power steering for the first 2 or 3 turns. If it doesn't get that cold where you live, well, you are lucky! (I live in Montana, and it'll go below -30 in the morning some times during the winter).

A Recommendation I Want To Give, But Can't

by nflsonic from Rochester, NY | July 13, 2007

I've had this car ever since graduation in 2004 and it's been a decent drive. I'll give some highs and lows. Highs: - Handling is great, especially when paired with Toyo Proxes Tires - Attractive exterior - Comfortable interior looks - Cargo space - Quick engine - Overall, it is fairly fun to drive Lows: - Very high maintenance -- I've spent around $2000 on repairs ranging from replacing the sensors, the fan system, shocks, axles, brake calipers, and now recently the AC unit and transmission - Sub par gas mileage As you may notice, I find the car to be fun to drive, but it comes at a price. These problems didn't occur recently, it actually started a few months after I received this car as a gift. It's now getting up there in the mileage at 95000. I want to recommend this car because of how fun it is to drive it, but it's hindered by too many mechanical problems that easily outweigh it's value.

Featured Services for this Oldsmobile Alero