2000 Oldsmobile Alero

2000 Oldsmobile Alero

Available in 10 styles:  2000 Oldsmobile Alero 2dr Coupe shown

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Still kickin' but I'd never buy another one

by Kris from Illinois | July 8, 2014

This car (2 door, 4 cyl) was a gift from my parents, but the money I saved from not buying a car I've spent on fixing this one. To its credit, it has over 140k on it and is still chugging along. I've replaced the fuel pump, fixed electrical problems, and the usual brakes, tires, etc. The car is rusting heavily just in front of the rear wheels, and I think its starting to rot the floor board behind the drivers seat. The inside is an even bigger mess: broken shift button, broken mirror adjust knob, broken cassette deck, wrinkled and peeling dash fabric, fans don't work on the first two speeds, broken cruise control button, rear view mirror has fallen off twice, ignition switch likes to jam, and the list goes on. GM really went as cheap as they could on the interior parts. I suspect the shocks are about to go as well. This car's days are limited, and I'm somewhat looking forward to the end!

This Car Got the Job Done

by RedDragon from Pittsburgh, PA | April 24, 2014

Well, my 2000 alero is getting closer and closer to it's death. I purchased the car in 2008 when I was a SR in high school. The dashboard has curled/shriveled up, brakes have been replaced, light system was bonkers for 6 months or so, tires had leaking issues due to the rims. I planned on having the car last me through college (2012), and it's lasted me to now in 2014. Good job, Alero. 146K of hard work.

Cheap and Unreliable

by Towncarlover from Michigan | June 7, 2012

I have mixed feeling on this car. It drove fantstic and looked nice. It only cost me 9K with 30K miles in 2002. But, it broke all the time. It had tons and tons of electrical problems that I never figured out. It would leave me stranded all the time. This year has an issue with faulty ignition security. It will set for no reason some times and not allow you to be able to start the car. At 112,000 the head separated from the block and tons of coolent came into the cyclinders and destroyed the engine. I gave it away after that. At that time no windows worked, it was on the 3wheel bearing, it only started 80% of the time.

I know why they stopped making these.

by neveroldsmobileagain from Jacksonville, Florida | March 25, 2011

First and foremost I will say is I just got rear-ended and my drivers side got hit while driving my alero.. And I walked away alive. So I do have to give that to Oldsmobile, bc If I had been in a smaller car, I probably wouldn't have been as lucky. But from the second I got this thing all the issues I had were things that if you had maintained this vehicle to perfection, they still wouldve broken. All the issues were things that oldsmobile didn't think through and didn't test on this car. The hazard switch which is also wired to the headlights was made to stay on all the time, so it burned out.. along with burning out the headlights. The security lock system sometimes doesn't read your key. The fabric on the dashboard peels because of heat. The cruise control stops work, along with the power mirrors. The AC barely worked on 1,2, and 3... if you google these issues they are ones that almost everyone was having. DON'T BUY THIS CAR. It runs and picks up great on the highway, but it's not enough to deal with the hassles of all the things you'll need to fix on this car.

The best car I've ever owned!

by oldsmobileman from Newoxford, Pa | October 23, 2010

Headlights are like mirrors to its heritage of racing and reliability.My Alero gained 178,000 miles and 38 mpg without issue. This car got alot of great attention.Traded due to family growth. This was truly a great automobile;I would buy another in a heartbeat!

Solid, dependable, not too flashy

by young working professional from New Haven, CT | October 23, 2010

This car has been very reliable, I now have more than 130,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. I've had to perform all the suggested maintenance, but there haven't been any real surprises. No major mechanical issues at all. I'm pretty happy with it.

Dependable with maintenance

by Ashy G from Omaha, NE | August 4, 2010

My 2000 Olds Alero was originally a program vehicle and had 18,000 miles on it when I bought in 2001. After almost nine years it now has 145,000 miles on it. Aside from a few problems, I've been very happy with it and plan to keep driving it until it dies. During my ownership I've encountered the following: -Fuel pump quit and had to be replaced. -Periodically feels like it loses power as if its trying to shift gears but can't. -Power windows have been fixed multiple times (drivers side 3 times, passenger side 2 times). -Hazard light button depressed all the way into the dash. Dash had to be removed in order to replace. -Dash upholstery curled up from heat, so it was replaced with an after market dash cover. -Dome light fixture fell down and had to be re-affixed to roof. -Fan speeds 1 and 2 do not work but 3, 4, and 5 do. -Plastic cover around trunk latch broke off. Other than that, the fuel pump is the only really serious issue I've had. The power mirrors, power drivers seat, AC, and heater all work fine. The engine seems solid. Need to have the periodic power loss or shifting hesitation checked, but the transmission has always been fine. Overall, I think it is a solid high school or college car. The only difference I would recommend is a four door instead of a two door.

worst car I've owned

by smile from | February 1, 2010

This car has been nothing but trouble for me! I've put lots and lots of money into! It's had alot of electrical problems. And alot of problems with the front end.

Very Solid And Reliable

by Regie from Utah | January 27, 2010

Purchased vehicle with 20k it has been very reliable, the only problem I've had was the key switch, it had to be replaced because the security light started coming on. I'm very happy with this vehicle overall it's very solid and has been reliable with over a 155,000 miles on it now. It has never failed me in the 9 year of ownership!!

GOOD CAR/ SOME PROBLEMS

by DAVER from | May 1, 2009

PURCHASED NEW , HAVE HAD SOME PROBLEMS, DASHBOARD WRINKLED, BLOWER SWITCH DOESNT WORK ON LOW, GEAR SHIFT BROKEN, HAZARD / TURN SIGNAL PROBLEM, POWER STEERING HAS BEEN VERY PROBLEMATIC, MAJOR ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION HAS BEEN GOOD AND HAS BEEN RELIABLE. THE 4 CYL HAS BEEN RELIABLE, I LIKE THE CAR BUT I HAVENT BOUGHT A GM SINCE.

Featured Services for this Oldsmobile Alero