2001 Oldsmobile Alero

21 city / 29–32 hwy

Overall

Great Car!

by Packer33 from Grand Rapids, MI | August 15, 2012

Great performance, decent styling inside and out, great maneuverability. Highly recommend this car to anyone looking for high performance at a decent price.

LOVE IT

by GREATTT from Ontario ny | July 13, 2012

I LOVE klean car its a great place to get a car this will be my second car through them, i have never had any problems thank u so much..

'01 Olds Alero

by robbo72 from Indiana | March 12, 2011

This was the last model Oldsmobile cranked out - if that means anything. They shifted from the mid-sized comfort cars like the Cutlass, etc and began this new line of "more economical" rides. I've owned this one since '06 and I must say it's dependable. Some of the maintenance gets bothersome, like having to change rotors about once a year. I'd say that the brakes and rotors have been the only real complaint I have. I think Alero's are "glitchy," but those haven't amounted to much of any problem. It starts up all year 'round, as long as the battery is good.

The Second Best Car I've Ever Owned

by Robert from Martin, TN | August 27, 2010

I've had my 2001 Alero GL 4-cylinder for seven years and is the second best car I ever owned. The engine and transmission have been the most reliable part of the vehicle, which is good, since they are the most important parts. I wrecked it once and nearly totaled it, but the body shop did a good job getting the thing put back together and it rides fairly straight down the road. It's a dream to steer. It's surprisingly comfortable on long trips. We've traveled to New Orleans (twice - before and after Katrina) and to Orlando and got incredible gas mileage. On one trip, I got 36 miles per gallon! Like the other reviewers, I've had problems with the front driver's side window going down - a pain in drive thrus, and the side view mirror adjusters are broken on it. The other annoyance is the fact that the struts have a squeaking noise that, so I've been told by mechanics around here, cannot really be fixed without major repairs. It's more of an annoyance than a safety issue. The only other complaint is that the cup holders are not well placed, but I don't use them much anyway. Finally, the best part of the car is the radio. It has a good sound system for a car it's size and the radio gets incredibly good reception, even for AM. In some ways, it is ahead of its time, because the radio tells you what station call letters that you are tuned to. All told, the Alero has been a really great car for me. It was even hit by a tornado once and lived to tell about it! It' sad that GM let go of the Oldsmobile brand. It's also going to be a very sad day when I have to sell it.

Most affordable car I've own in some time

by IAMMAS from Oshkosh, WI | August 10, 2010

After I totaled my car I needed a car fast. Working 60 hours week gave me little time to look. Purchased my 2001 Alero GL 2-door in less than a half hour and never regretted it since. Only problem I have had in the 4 years I owned it, is the electric windows. Both needed the interior working replaced one due to it won't go up or down and the other went down (in winter, in WI) and won't go back up.

Best Car I've Ever Owned

by Robert from Sacramento, CA | October 20, 2009

I bought a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero with 42,000 miles, and have loved it ever since. With 105,000 miles, all I have ever had to pay for were oil and tire changes. I even average 26 miles per gallon. It is reliable, comfortable, and a little bit sporty. Great Car!

Good engine, bad windows

by thelevings........ from Ohio | May 16, 2009

I bought this car brand new in 2001 and the engine and transimission have been excellent, but little things keep going wrong, and with the car being just a 2nd car for our 5 person family, I don't plan on fixing these small items. Knob on heater broke once, and I had it replaced, is broken again, it only works on full blast or off. All the power windows are broken, but since the heater & a/c still work, I won't get them fixed, especially since this seems to be a GM thing, most of them go bad. (Ours went bad 5000 miles after the warranty was up... NICE :oP) But definitely the engine has given us no trouble at all, as well as the transmission. Overall, reliable car but all the nickel and dime stuff gets old.

Best sedan ever.

by Fastfirebird1969 from columbus ohio | January 26, 2009

I am a collage student and I drive a 2001 olds Aero that has 109,986 miles on it at present. It has a 2.4 L 4 cylinder that delivers great fuel economy and puts ample power to the ground when needed. I purchased this car from my parents whom replaced it with a 05 Malibu another great car. My father purchased the Aero brand new and drove it to work daily for 4 years and now it is my daily driver to and form school. The car gets about 31mpg on long freeway trips. It is a very reliable car the only money I have put in to it is for regular oil changes, I recommend you use mobile 1 synthetic. I would pit it against any Camry or Accord of the same year and I grantee the Alero would come out on top.

DO NOT BUY USED WITH HIGH MILE

by Adam from ny | November 12, 2008

i purchased my alero coupe with 143,000 miles on it and a week after owning the vehicle my water pump went as well as my radiator and serpentine belt. After all the parts were replaced my ABS and airba lights came on and i still do not know what the cause is. To be honest i have been driving my wifes honda because i do not want tyo deal with the alero anymore.its very frustrating.

Very fun yet Reliable!

by HonestMayberry from Aurora, CO | March 7, 2007

I bought my 2001 Olds. Alero Coupe GLS fully loaded. It has everything and has never had more than minor problems such as a window regulator and simple tune ups. The power and luxury you get for the price is quite amazing! I love just taking it for a drive and yet with the 110,000 miles it still drives great! If you are looking to buy one I would definatly suggest it.

Featured Services for this Oldsmobile Alero