2002 Oldsmobile Alero

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Dependable car

by Love my Olds from CT | March 5, 2014

I bought my 02 Olds 2 1/2 yrs. ago with 93,000. I had to give it up due to the engine dying w/ 114,000 on the highway. So sad, I wish GM kept Olds and Pontiac. Since these cars are quickly phasing out, I couldn't find a used engine with less then what I had on mine. Great first car for a new driver, wish I still had mine.

got the most out of my alero gx 2002

by alero from reading pa | October 1, 2013

First let's look at the negatives. The windows were poorly made as the ceramic part falls off and needed to get it fixed twice. The intereior is below average and you need to understand the pass lock sensor which has prevented me from starting my car on more than a ffew occasions. If you googe this there is a wire you can cut to stop that or just wait the 10 minutes until the flashing secruity light stops flashing. (see manual). These are the negatives with the car. Also the blinkers seem to have problems as this has been documented with other owners. The positives are if you get routine high mileage oil changes and the preventive maintance needed this car runs like a champ! I have 263,700 and counting and will run the car until it dies. This car handles very well.

Relieble BMW Killer

by Engineering oriented owner from Fairfax VA | April 22, 2013

I have owned a V-6 Alera for nearly 10 years and have put 112,000 miles on it. Not once has it failed to start. Not once has it broken down. Except for brakes and tires most of the key parts are original. I replaced the water pump at 95,000 miles only because the serpentine belt needed changing. I replaced the starter motor at 93,000 miles. And I replaced the struts at 98,000. The car matches BMW in handling, out excelerates equivalent size and age BMWs, and out brakes them. It has been cheap to keep. In contrast, BMWs are not cheap to keep even it they are dependable. Maintenance on the Alero is minimal. No tune up for 100,000 miles, No transmission fluid change for 100,000 miles and not coolant change for 150,00- miles or five years, what ever occurs first. So, if you want a car that drives like a sled - stickes to the road and handles well with a great sound system, try a low-mileage Alero. You will be pleasantly surprised.F

Don't buy this car, you will regret it!

by Dillon from Joaquin,Texas | October 2, 2012

I bought this car used about eight months ago with 90,000 miles on it. I have had all sorts of issues with it. -No matter how many times I replace the motors in the power windows, they go out. -Have security issues, I have to reset the car often just so it will start. -Traffic signals have a mind of their own and only work when they want to. As for the motor, it has a lot of get-up-and-go, but still not enough to cancel out all the bad.

Not so great

by Used Car Buyer from Rochester, NY | June 11, 2012

Bought this car in 2007 with only 35,000 miles. Figured I would have no problems for a while, but when I hit $75,000 the engine died and I had to replace it. 3 out of the 4 windows broke and they cost $450 each to fix (ceramic pieces holding the window on the track broke off - had to special order the parts since windows aren't made with ceramic anymore). Temperature gauge was always jumping up and down. Blinkers would work when they wanted to. I had nothing but problems since I hit 60,000 miles. Got great gas mileage though.

fun car to drive

by jsc from grand rapids michigan | January 12, 2010

i think this is a fun sporty car and ive had no problems it has many options that are standard in a much more expensive car and overall handling and pick up is good the only problens ive encountered is to replace light bulbs and change oil other than that its been a great car

Best vehicle I've owned

by SprtSedan01 from Mississippi | September 30, 2009

I purchased my Alero new in 2001 and now have nearly 200k miles. Only routine maintenance done, timing @ 100k and again when I hit 200k, a fuel pump/filter @ 100k. Outside of regular scheduled items, that's the extent of it. Great vehicle overall, comfort, mileage and reliability. I just wish they had not cut Olds. b/c I would certainly have bought another. Guess I'll just have to run this one into the ground.

horrible car

by mad owner from Florence, MS | August 23, 2009

Descent car for a year or two then becomes huge money pit. Constant security problems, all expensive. I will never buy another one.

Still Kickin

by Alero Fan from Minneapolis, MN | July 6, 2009

I bought my 2002 Alero in 2003 with about 27,000 miles on it, and got a great deal as it was a rental return. I have about 162,000 miles on it now, and it still runs great. The fuel pump went out at about about 158,000, but that's no biggie. It gets around great in the Minnesota winters, and is comfortable for long trips. I drove to Denver from Minneapolis without having to stop much except for food and fuel. I have loved this car, and hope to drive it for at least another 50,000.

money pit

by previous alero owner from sarver PA | March 14, 2009

very unreliable traction control system had to replace front hubs 3X due to traction sensors failing at 400 dollars a pop beware

Featured Services for this Oldsmobile Alero