2001 Oldsmobile Aurora

Available in 2 styles:  2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4dr Sedan shown

Overall

Foreign Auto Buyers Can Only Drool At The Aurora

by OldsForever from Pennsylvania | January 5, 2014

First saw an 01-03 Aurora in my town and said, that's my next car. Never could've imagined the cult following it has, well build quality and competitive nature of the line, or that it was, ahem, an Oldsmobile - and a flagship of the line at that. I have owned this car (4.0 version) for over 4 years and bought it with 40k miles. Made two 6-hour drives to buy it. It now has 60k. It has every option including the Bose sound system, high-end rims, and gold package. I've driven it heavily in suburban areas and on the highway. With regular maintenance and the exception of a split intake boot that was replaced, this car is the best automobile I've ever owned and perhaps the best car ever made. The Northstar 250-hp V8 was made exclusively for Oldsmobile by Cadillac and that paired with the 4-speed 4T80-E automatic transmission makes for an incredible ride. It's luxurious, remarkably spacious considering it's only a full-size sedan, and from my experience, makes those who like foreign high-end autos drool. The ride quality is unparalleled and could easily cause you to never want to stop driving. The transmission shifts are, as old marketing materials indicate, velvet smooth. The amenities - Bose sound system (optional), CD changer, heated seats, DIC, rain-sensing wipers with auto headlight on with wipers, front and rear fog lights, dual zone climate control, and more - are something reminiscent of a mid to late 2000s automobile and beyond. The ride quality with the auto leveling suspension is amazing. Passengers are ultra comfortable. Power is unparalleled. Driving in snow is so easy. This car was so advanced for its time it's astounding GM didn't keep going with the line or at least absorb it fully into another GM line. I do see some of its styling cues and early technology advances in other successive GM cars but nothing to the magnitude of the Aurora. Research indicates the Aurora 01-03 platform was originally designed as a four-door Eighty-Eight successor called the Antares but had to be fitted into an Aurora design quickly after Buick dropped its Riviera development plans and financial trouble found Oldsmobile. It's no wonder I saw this car as the perfect successor to my 87 Delta 88 Royale Brougham. And the nice thing is unlike today's high-end autos, the Aurora came standard with almost everything. Only certain wheels, Bose sound system, and gold package were optional. Prior generation was notably similar if not better in some respects. Was shocked to learn the first generation Aurora's unibody construction broke GM's testing machine, that it had to be tested with a larger frame crusher used for truck frames, and that it exceeded federal standards for passenger cars by two times. It makes me sad that Oldsmobile has ceased operations when they had such a remarkable flagship car for so many years. Audi, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes Benz, and others can only wish they had the quality of this American-made car. I wish GM would wake up and start producing this line again. I would buy a new Aurora in a heartbeat.

GM's Best Kept Secret

by Aurora Enthusiast from Texas | January 29, 2012

This vehicle was originally built for Cadillac, but Olds needed a luxury model, so they got it. The Aurora is one of the best kept secrets in Luxury vehicles. It competes head on with European imports and handles snow much better, not to mention manueverabilty on dry pavement and wet roads. Handles great, plenty of power, and just plain fun to drive. I bought this car new and it has held up very well. The window motors tend to go out eventually, but mechanically it is a very well built car. This car is solid; just open and close the doors to feel it. The exterior paint job is vastly superior to most other luxury line vehicles. More than one person has enquired about it. People closer to Detroit know what this car is and there are many more there than other parts of the country. The vehicle holds up so well you just can't find many for sale, and people love them. After 10 years this car still looks newish and its exterior is superior to brand new luxury vehicles. The interior is well thought out with all controls within easy reach, the real mahogony wood trim combined with the superior leather interior is beautiful. Of course, leather wrapped steering wheel and leather wrapped gear shift knob. Traction control, ABS, power mirrors, electrochromatic rear view mirror with Onstar. They just don't get any better.

despite all the trouble, we loved this car

by sample from Penna | November 15, 2011

we bought our '01 Aurora in '03, with 35K on it. We eventually traded it in 100K miles later. We had so many problems with this car: all interior lights burning out continually, flashing headlights at night so badly we stopped driving it at night, replacing alternator many times, popping noises in front suspension, window motors going. I've read this about many '00 and '01 Aurora's, obviously an electrical gremlin. However, we loved this car and continue to look for another, maybe an '02 or '03. It handled superbly, was so quiet and comfortable, had every feature you can imagine. I had more than a few people stop me and ask me what kind of car it was, and couldn't believe it was an '01 American car. By the time we got rid of it it needed $3k worth of engine work. My husband can keep anything going, but what this needed was beyond him. If only Olds had put a bit more effort into this already fabulous car, they might still be around.

The perfect touring and around town automobile

by car lover from Michigan | September 6, 2011

I bought my '01-4.0 spring 2010. Black w/tan leather. It had 43000 miles, now 53000. Ran down south on I-75 last spring and had NO problems running with BMWs and CTSs. Handles and rides perfectly VERY fast car but suspension and handling is more than up to it.. I use Moble 1 and Shell V power in mine, just runs smoother, better acceleration and mpg on 93 octane This car has ALL the bells and whistles of most of todays high end sport sedans with a better ride and seat comfort. No navi but you can always get a handheld or dash mounted after market. Only issue I've had is the seering wheel mounted control lights burn out quickly. Brilliant car ! ! Highly recomened if you can find a well cared for one. You'll be glad you did.

Safest Car I have Ever Driven

by Vehicle Man from | June 26, 2011

This vehicle is perfect for a first car for your teens. My daughter had one as her first car and she was T-Boned in an intersection the driver rear door was the only damage and the side airbags saved her life. We replaced the door and had it fixed and she still has it until today the vehicle now has over 300,000 miles on it and still runs like new the only maintenance I ever had to fix was the fuel level sensor and never had a problem since. Very Reliable vehicle would buy again if they were still in production.

loved the aurora

by thorisaz from MI | May 17, 2011

I had a nice package with mine, leather and moonroof with heated seats and all sorts of extras that are not found on a lot of the newer cars. It rode great, had great get up and go, was peppy and reliable, wish I never sold the car!

Aurora Euphoria

by Big Car Guy from Dutchess, NY | February 10, 2011

I love my 2001 Aurora. Previously owned a 1995 from Aug 98 to Sept 03. I bought my 01 used from a 65yr old original owner. It has the ( baby Northstar) 4.0 which puts out 250hp, runs on 87octane, and gets up and goes. Will spin the front tires with traction turned off. The car is especially awsome and fun to drive in the snow. It has stability control (which no one seems to mention) and we have no problem passing BMW's stuck in the snow or while they're sliding sideways trying to get up a hill in the snow. I chuckle to myself as I pass them. I try not to make eye contact though. I don't want them to feel more foolish than they already do. This car is proof that Olds was doing it right in 2001. 1995 too. Maybe if they hadn't fogotten to market the Aurora they'd still be building Aurora's. Olds was right about one thing, even though they alienated many of their regular customers. "This is definitely not your fathers Oldsmobile. I get almost as many unsolicited comments about my Olds as I do about my 10 Challenger. Thats cool. Most people that ask me about it cant believe its 10 years old. My son came home from college, saw it and drove it for the first time, and loves it. He's buying one also.

Get Up & Go .. Anywhere

by Highfliers2 from Taylorville, IL | February 1, 2011

This is my 2nd Aurora 4.0, and my favorite. The Aurora 4.0 aluminum V8 (a smaler version of the Cadillac Northstar) is a "must have" in this car. Highway mileage - if you don't stand on it - is around 28.5 mpg even with the air conditioning on. The ride is equal to any other luxury sports sedan made, and out handles my friend's Mercedes 300 sport series all the time. My only complaint is some of the maintenance items are tricky to replace - like headlight and tail light bulbs, and the various sensors have a habit of burning out on a rather annoying frequency. Overall I'm sad that the car is no longer produced - altho' I will probably buy another one when I get ready to sell this one.

one of the nicest i have owned in a long time

by car lover from noblesville in | November 30, 2010

you will not be disappointed if the car has been taken care of. it is very nice and the options are great

Bye-Bye Olds

by Rico from Tonawanda, NY | October 29, 2010

The 2001 Aurora 4.0 was for me a very capable vehicle. Looked a little too much like a Ford Taurus but the car got a lot of unsolicited compliments. The 4.0 Northstar drivetrain was bulletproof - very reliable. The car's interior was well thought out and comfortable. The car did everything well but it didn't quite reach the "WOW" factor for me. After 98k miles I needed a change, so I let it go. New owner got a well cared for car that should provide more years motoring reliablility.

Featured Services for this Oldsmobile Aurora