1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue

19 city / 30 hwy

Overall

1998 Olds Intrigue Stylish and Reliable

by serenitysfaith4 from Tacoma, WA | March 30, 2014

My daughter just sold her 1998 Olds Intrigue GLS just a week ago. And, I bought mine three weeks ago. I bought mine based on the reliable car that my daughter had for seven years. Mine is the GL, not as fancy as my daughter's GLS but still loaded with lots of options. I like the 3.8L engine. My Buick LeSabre had one in it and they are pretty close to bullet proof. My "new" Olds is comfortable and reliable. Handling is great, seats are comfy, the Mode setting for the heater controls is a nice luxury along with the heated exterior mirrors. Like my Buick, this Olds gets about 22-24 in town, and 29-32 freeway. Traction control and front wheel drive are great, especially in the snow. The car hugs the road and feels very solid. Although the Olds line has been discontinued it is still easy to find parts.

Best Car I've Owned

by MomsHugs from Athens, GA | July 9, 2013

My 98 Intrigue was a 'program' car with 12,000 miles when I bought it over 14 years ago at $7000 off list price. It now has almost 132,000 miles & it has been the best car I've ever owned. My cars are always well maintained. I listen to it & try to get a jump on anything going wrong - which keeps costly repairs to a minimum. Other than a small transmission problem at 70,000 miles, the Intrigue has not had major problems. At 115,000 all the hoses & pumps were replaced along with the intake manifold. The driver's window motor was replaced at 125,000 miles. It was driven around town mostly, plus 2-3 long trips (2000 miles) ea. year. Total cost of my Intrigue plus repairs & 2 sets of tires driving it over 14 years & 120,000 miles is about $20,000 (gas, oil changes & tire rotation not included) -- which is comes to about $120/month or $4/day. I'm now debating whether to spend another $300 to replace the thermostat & water pump, or give up my beloved Old Bessie for a new car. It is hard to find one that will match the Intrigue.

1998 olds intrigue

by jamx from Northeast Kingdom, Vermont | April 2, 2013

not a bad car they seem to have a reaccuring problem with the wiper boards and wiper motors going bad on them. very peppy 3,8 V6 goes nice down the road also. i would say overall a good deal for the money ours now has 123k on it and is still running strong.

3.8=haulin'

by olds350rocketguy from Virginia | September 20, 2009

The oldsmobile car is great, the 3.8 motor is fast and reliable and ive got 169000 miles on mine and did I say it is fast do not let the low horsepower fool you, I HAVE OUTRUN A 2005 SUBARU WRX STI IN THE QUATER MILE, the car has been great to own and fun to drive for a big four door sedan the 3.8 motor is the best V6 motor GM ever put in a car.

GREAT first car...NOT YOUR FATHER'S OLDSMOBILE!

by Ian from Arlington, VA | August 2, 2009

I was lucky enough to get my Intrigue GL for my 17th birthday. At the time it only had 46,000 miles on it. It was my grandmother's car which explained the low mileage and meant the car was really taken care of. 1 year later I've fallen in love with the car. I'll admit at first I was worried about it. Since it's an Oldsmobile I was expecting it to be ugly and slow with poor handling. I was wrong at every level. The car is very attractive, especially when viewed from the front. It's one of the few cars on the road that still looks new several years later. It's also far from slow. Turn the traction control off and you can really smoke those tires. It may have an outdated pushrod V6 under the hood but it's fast and the sound it makes at full throttle is addictive. The only complaint I have about the engine is that occasionally it starts rough and for a few minutes after startup idles rough. The transmission is super smooth no matter how quickly or slowly you accelerate. The car just feels solid and well put together. There are no rattles at all. Quality wise my only complaint is that my rear right window does not work. I hear that's a common problem. These cars are also incredibly reliable. I was just talking to a guy who bought his about a year ago with 350,000 miles on the odometer and he says the car runs great. The stereo sounds excellent and I don't even have the optional Bose sound system. The trunk is huge. 4 of my friends and I went on a 500 mile trip to South Carolina for 2 weeks and we were able to fit 90% of the luggage in the trunk of my car. I love this car and would totally recommend it to anyone. It's a shame Oldsmobile is gone because I would buy another one in a second.

I LOVE this car.

by Karlee from Akron, Oh | August 1, 2008

I bought this used from someone my dad works with as my first car. I absolulty love it. It drives nice, it stears and handles nice. Its in great condition and has really held up well. My only problem is that the seats are to low so sometimes its hard to see over, other then that this car is next to perfect! I've drivin several differnt cars since I started driving and this is by far the best one I've drivin!

Very reliable

by Tom from Michigan | November 9, 2007

I just turned 200,000 miles on mine and thinking of getting another one. The Intrigue is a work horse yet comfortable and convenient options

I would buy another one

by J Harv from Northern Pa- Southern Ny | October 8, 2006

I bought my car used.. with 154,000 miles on it and at 187,000 the intake manifold went. I could have put a new engine into it, but i decided it seemed too risky with the mileage on the body and altho the transmission shifted smoothly I wondered how much longer that was going to last. I was surpised in how much power the engine still had with the high mileage, and that it lasted as long as it did with all the abuse i put it threw. There was only a few problems I had other than the intake. A speed senser went bad at about 180,000 wich caused the traction control and anti-lock brakes to not work properly. I also had to replace the roters at about the same time, wich costed all about $300 to get fixed. The interior was very appealing for a GM. I usually find them plain and boring, but the Intrigue's interior is really nice. It was difficult to keep the trim clean. This dark dust would tend to get around the door handles/ lock areas and power window switches. I've also noticed this with the Alero's. If you wipe it down once a month or so it isnt that bad.

think again

by scoot from OH | August 5, 2006

Love the car but it began to die on me after 100k. Watch out for the power and engine issues its known to have, Baby it! The intake exploded on me for no reason and then after it was fixed no one could tell me why it blew up. Now it sits there with no power due to bad ground in engine which causes it to miss and back fire. And it smells like sulfer real bad because of the gas burning wrong. Which means internal terminal illness. Too much to replace the engine and still have the power problem.

Nice

by the P from ontario, canada | July 22, 2006

I bought this car used and have had it for over 5 years now. No regrets at all. It basically has everything you could want combined into 1 car (nice style, power, room for family, reliable, etc.) The only issue I've had is an annoying hesitation to start the first time after filling up on gas (which I do a little more than I'd like).

Featured Services for this Oldsmobile Intrigue