1999 Pontiac Bonneville

Available in 2 styles:  Bonneville 4dr Sedan SE shown
$574–$5,474

19 city / 28 hwy

Overall

good fairly reliable car I've owned

by family mama from Wichita, KS | November 3, 2010

My 1999 Pontiac Bonevillei fairly reliable and can cofortably & legally seat 6 people, 2 adults & 4 children anyway.

Not Good

by A Honda owner forever from Midwest | October 2, 2010

$5500.00 in repairs in three years - el crappo! 89,000 transmission went 102,000 engine went 109,000 cooling system went 114,500 9 other major items went

Alright Car but Too Many Issues

by Former99BonnieOwner from Atlanta, GA | July 9, 2009

I bought a 1999 Pontiac Bonneville used in 2002. I used it primarily for my daily commuting but I also used it for two cross-country trips and other out of twon ventures. I'll start with the good points about the car. The car is very spacious. I never had issues with leg room or with passengers having to fight for space. The trunk space is HUGE, and I was able to fit lots of stuff in it. As I said, I loved across the country twice and packed the car to the gills and it held a lot of stuff. The drive was also very comfortable. When running properly (see below), the ride was smooth and consistent. Great pickup power and could easily get to 80-85 mph on the highway if needed. Now for the bad sides, and there are lots. First, the gas mileage on the car is terrible, especially if you drive in traffic or in the city. I could go about 260 miles on a full tank, giving me a mpg of about 17-18. That's COMBINED (I drive highway and city). \ Secondly, the reliability of this car was just not good. Within the first two years of ownership I had serious issues with the cooling system including leaking hoses. Then the air conditioner compressor went in about 2006. The display on the radio went, so I couldn't even see the radio station I was listening to. Then the power antenna broke, making it impossible for me to get certain radio stations in the car. The last straws occurred in the last six months I owned it. The exhaust system went, the catalytic converter was replaced and went bad AGAIN because of engine misfires sending fuel into the converter. Then the cooling system failed yet again. The security light continually came on when starting the car, locking up the car for almost two minutes. Then the ABS light came on, indicating the ABS brake system was going. On June 4 I was at the mechanic to have him check it for a long trip out of town, and he came back and told me "I wouldn't drive this car for more than an hour at a time. It needs almost $3000 in repairs." That was the final straw for me. So overall, I simply cannot recommend anyone buying this car used, unless you pay $2000 or under. It is just not that reliable.

Absolutely fun to drive and very reliable

by Speedyboi from Akron OH | May 10, 2009

OMG!, this car is awesome, it has power everything,It also has excellent passing power when me and my mom are on the expressway, my mom loves it, every now and again she might make it peel out a little bit, it's such a awesome car, for it to be a little bit over 3500 lbs this car is fast,and it doesn't mind hitting 70 mph when it feels like your doing 60 mph, We bought this car on the 25th or 23rd of January of this year (2009) for $1,629 and I think it's worth every penny, with the regular wear and tear items on the car that need replacing, that's about it,no biggie, the dashboard design is very intriguing especially with the orange back lights instead of the boring green lights that almost every car has, the trunk space is awesome too!, just a great car all around!, I thank God for helping me find this car!

Nicest car I have ever owned

by Tomas from Harvard Mass | May 15, 2007

It never broke down on me except when the head gasket blew @ 145000 miles. It would have lasted alot longer if I didn't step on so much. It would have been a perfect desine if it didnot have the split windows front and rear. It had the best dashboard I have ever seen. And the seats were the best. Right now I own a chevy impala with the same engine, this one will last 200000 miles.

148000 trouble free

by bdpuck from Epping, NH | March 22, 2007

Would buy another one any day. This former Alamo Rental car performs much as it did when I bought it in 1999 with 15000 miles on it. Highway MPG has exceeded 30 routinely, it certainly exceeds the EPA estimate.

Great used car!

by GC from Suburban Chicago, IL | January 18, 2007

Most any GM car with a 3800 engine makes a great used car. Many people complain about resale value, but if you're on the buying side of one of these cars, its a great opportunity. The 3800 engine is well refined and quite reliable. Performance is great with some real torque muscle at your disposal. Since the Bonneville is such a large car, things are nice and spread out under the hood, making it easy to do a lot of your own maintenance. Plenty of room for the family and very reliable. I drove my 91 Bonneville to 186000 miles. I'm currently driving a 99 Bonneville and have about 100000 on it and still going. No major problems. Just typical wear items.

I'm quite disappointed

by Steve from Midcoast Maine | November 25, 2006

I bought my Bonneville used with 76,000 miles on it three years ago. I just traded it in yesterday when I had every intention of keeping that car for many years to come. The reason? The transmission is going kaput. And the fuel pump is following close behind in needing to be replaced. I wasn't aware when I bought this car that transmissions in this style of car rarely last beyond 100,000. I was at 97,300. If it would cost less than $2,400 to replace, I'd keep it, but that's too pricey of an item to fix. I'm just really disappointed because in the past three years, this car has been very dependable.

Featured Services for this Pontiac Bonneville