2009 Pontiac G5

25 city / 35–37 hwy

Overall

Great little car

by Vpad from Tallahassee, fl | February 15, 2014

Father purchased this in 2009 for me. Hated the car at first because it was 2-door coupe...but let me tell you, I love this car. It gets 35mpg. Fast. Response on handling is great. Drive like a beast in snow even without traction control or antilock brakes. I used this car really rough. I've carried my canoe on roof for many years and other outdoor activity. Back seats fold down to give you unlimited space for anything. I driven this car endlessly through rough terrain rather then my SUV now because it got good clearance underneath and so light it never gets stuck all. It's hard to drive my SUV with this car averaging 35mpg. Need get hitch to pull my 12foot john boat then I won't need my SUV. Great car when tires have tread....

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Low maintenance cost, great realiability

by ME from Saginaw, MI | November 21, 2013

I own my G5 since brand new and have driven it for almost 100K miles. So far only two components have failed in the vehicle: the traction control module after 500mi (electronics) and a front wheel bearing at 93k mi. Both components were replaced at no cost given they were covered by the standard GM warranty of 100K miles in drivetrain. Other than that, nothing else has broken. Standard maintenance I've done is chaging oil, filters, replacing tires at 70K miles and brakes at 90K miles. The car handles well, accelerates fine and is very silent for a compact with 100K mi (I had a Neon and Cavaliers before, not quiet vehicles). I average 30mpg during my commute and I don't drive gently. I guess I'll keep my G5 for another 100K mi. The only complain I have about my G5 is the poor access to the trunk. The trunk is spacious but opening area is reduced and fitting a couple of large pieces of baggage is impossible.

good little car

by MiMis Mom from Mishawaka, IN | November 8, 2013

I bought this car new in 2009 for the great stereo, fuel economy and it's still peppy to drive. I drive close to It's comfortable & fun to drive & economical. I've had a few repairs but they were all covered under warranty - GM has been excellent at covering repairs. I've only had to put brakes and tires on it so it's very economical. Mine's a GT and it has absolutely every feature you'd want - bluetooth, xm, mp3 port, etc. Since it's American, parts are cheap, too. Just like most, if not all, cars in this price range, road noise can be loud and the cup holders aren't in the greatest location.

Fantastic Car!

by Barbara from Rio Rancho, NM | November 26, 2011

I absolutely LOVE this car. It is sporty and affordable! I rated it a 4 on comfort only because the back seats do not have lots of leg room and if you have kids it is difficult to have them crawling in and out of the back seat until they are 12 (when they can legally sit in the front). I recently had to trade it in for a car with 4-door access and was very sad to give it up, but it was a necessity (the whole back seat/kid leg room thing)... I am heartbroken that GMC is no longer making Pontiac, especially these because I would totally buy one again once my kids are out of the house!

2009 Pontiac G5

by Jim from Ohio | September 4, 2011

Purchased "certified used" with 8800 miles Great little commuter car and nearly 40 mpg highway. Its a re-badged Cobalt

great power for a 2.2L

by marc from San Diego, CA | July 8, 2011

I was surprised by the power delivered by this little 2.2 L 4cyl. Economy is great, the only complaint is the driver side seat belt latching plate is difficult to find sometimes.

2009 Pontiac G5 2dr

by JJJEEPIN from Rangely, CO | June 1, 2011

Great little car. I purchased it for the gas mileage (and price) as I commute on avg 120 miles per day. It averages 35 mpg which is comprised mostly of highway and some city driving. It is definitely suited for a smaller person - a little awkward to get in and out of (especially the back seat as it is a 2dr) and some of my passengers have complained about the hard, uncomfortable seats. I prefer the firmer seating. It is fairly peppy for a 4 cylinder but I purchased it with a standard transmission which helps. There are a couple larger hills on my commute which I can pull in 5th gear, at highway speed, with the cruise on. Downfalls - it is noisy and rough riding. The road noise and texture radiates from the front end in to the passenger compartment but the more than adequate stereo drown out most of the road noise. Overall, I am very satisfied with this car and would definitely recommend it's purchase for a commuter.

Cheap but good

by Matt M from Sudbury, ON | November 21, 2010

We have had it for a few months now, and it is working great. My only complaints are the cheap plastic interior and the leg room in the back is dreadful.

Good Buy

by Value Shopper from New Prague,MN | March 23, 2010

Very pleased. Wife loves it. We've had it for almost 11 months and I tried to find another in February but found they're gone.

Featured Services for this Pontiac G5