The Pontiac G5 coupe is virtually identical to the Chevrolet Cobalt and is only offered as a coupe. The G5 is available in base and GT trims and has more standard equipment than its Chevrolet sibling — power windows and remote entry are installed on base GTs but are optional on the Cobalt — howeverthe G5 costs more. The G5 competes with other compacts, such as the Ford Focus and Scion tC.
New for 2009
The more-powerful engine from the 2008 GT has been dropped, so both the base and GT models now share the same engine.
A double-cutout Pontiac grille differentiates the G5 from the Cobalt, but beyond that the differences are scant. The G5 is 179.8 inches long, longer than the Focus (175 inches) and tC (174 inches). At 67.5 inches wide, it's about an inch wider than the Focus but almost 2 inches narrower than the tC. The G5, at 55.6 inches tall, is nearly the same height as the tC but about 3 inches shorter than the Focus.
- Rear spoiler and steel wheels are standard
- GT models upgrade to 17-inch alloy wheels, fog lamps and a sport-tuned suspension
- New colors include Quicksilver Metallic and Silver Green Metallic
The G5's interior has a familiar look, with radio controls and other switches mounted on a vertical center stack. Passenger volume is 83 cubic feet, which compares to 93 cubic feet in the Focus and 85 cubic feet in the tC.
- Power windows and locks with keyless entry
- Air conditioning
- CD stereo with an auxiliary input for MP3 players
- Chrome-ringed instrument pods
- XM Satellite Radio and OnStar communication
- Optional heated leather seats, remote vehicle start, moonroof and 228-watt, seven-speaker stereo system
Under the Hood
The 2008 GT model was available with a more-powerful engine than the base. For 2009, both base and GT trims use the same engine, a 2.2-liter four-cylinder that, when teamed with new low-rolling-resistance tires, will get an estimated 37 mpg on the highway.
- 155-horsepower, 2.2-liter inline-four-cylinder
- Variable valve timing
- Standard five-speed manual
- Optional four-speed automatic
Safety features include:
- Standard four-wheel-disc antilock brakes on GT
- Disc/drum brakes with optional ABS on base G5
- Standard side curtain airbags
- GT models come with electronic stability system
Closest Dealers Listing this Car
Featured Services for the Pontiac G5
- Sell your current car quickly and easily on Cars.com.