2008 Pontiac G8

2008 Pontiac G8
Available in 2 styles:  2008 Pontiac G8 4dr Sedan shown

Overall

The Only Car GM Hasn't Recalled?

by First Time GM Owner from Denver, CO | June 20, 2014

I bought my Pontiac G8 GT on 6/10/14 with just over 30,000 miles and I've loved ever second behind the wheel. The first night I owned it I had to drive it 700 miles back to my home state. The next weekend I took it on a 300 mile road trip through the mountains. My car is supercharged and still managed to pull 23.75 hand calculated MPG and there were a few spirited runs in there as well. The car is very quiet and handles magnificently. The steering response is superb with no play in the wheel. Vision from inside the car is great. Many newer cars have huge haunches and smaller windows but visibility is a plus for the G8; however, backing up can be hard since it is a very large car. I marked the interior down slightly because the seats could use a little more side bolstering to keep you in place and the stereo isn't up to par with most vehicles. The interior is a little bit bland and monotonous, but put together well with soft touch materials everywhere. I expect reliability to be very good, but there are a few known problems with the G8. Front control arms tend to wear quick and need replaced along with strut bushings and the engine can develop a lifter tick with the Active Fuel Management hardware. The control arms are not a large expense and as for the lifters, if you're buying a GT it is because you want a V8. Most people replace the lifters and cam and delete the Active Fuel Management and pick up a few horsepower. Other than those small issues, I expect many years of pleasureful driving.

Incredible car

by Flatfoot from Mid-Michigan | February 19, 2014

The speed, the sound, the looks. Nothing like merging on to the highway with the torque from the 6 liter engine. This car is huge inside and goes wherever you point it. Great leather seats, huge backseat, large trunk. Too bad the door/window controls are on the center console, very annoying bumping them on accident, and the Blaupunkt stereo is nothing special. Car is very, very similar to the 2004-06 GTO if you've spent time with one. Not too bad on gas but if you've got a commute you might want to look around some more.

Pontiac G8

by Pontiac G8 Lvr from Novi, MI | September 10, 2012

I am 6'4" and this is the roomiest car I have been in. The GT is the most performance for the money, and is still faster than some of the new sport sedans coming out. It is reliable, great looks, and a collector, as its the last powerfully car Pontiac made. Once I pay this one off, I plan on getting another, hopefully a GXP.

fast n affordable

by car guy from staten island | May 7, 2012

This is no honda accord and if you are looking for one [or similar] then forget this car. Not an economy car but not horrible on gas if you are easy on the gas petal. Its all about motor and performance for this ride. A bit coarse for the mild at heart and all buisness for the performance enthusiast. I couldn't be happier with my choice.

Liking my buy

by Arius from Fairfield, OH | April 23, 2012

After wanting one and getting one I'm so happy with my buy. There are few thing about the inside that could be change I would change them for the better. Many have said the inside lack and it does, but in all the handling and drive of the car is good.

Pontiac G8 GT Great BUT

by Wanna GXP Stick from Fredericksburg, VA | January 23, 2012

- No SportWagon - AT geared for mileage, lugs - AT manual mode shifts itself - VERY few manual transmissions - Manual transmission in GXP has stupid skip-shift - Red display awful, disappears with polarized sunglasses - Wiper spritzer comes on AFTER one swipe - Key fobs unlabeled, hard to use, requires fingernail - No spare tire - Side mirrors too small - No rear wiper

One of a kind

by Leap year guy from Blythe, CA and Yuma, AZ | January 15, 2012

I owned a Pontiac G8 GT, and it was a terrific car. It had lots of room, for example, my wife our two kinds and I would often drive it out of town, and it had more than enough room for our stuff, tons of leg room, and it was very comfortable. Our 7 year old preferred taking it out of town to our 2006 Nissan Altima. I loved driving it on the freeway because the handling was very responsive, it had tons of power, 361 horses, and when it was windy or we passed a truck it stayed on the road and didn't get blown around! Gas mileage was pretty good for a V8, as it had active fuel management, and it would shut down cylinders to save gas and could on the freeway get 25 to 28 miles per gallon. It had a very quite interior, and road noise was not a problem. The stereo was tops, as it had a CD changer, and a radio with speakers everywhere. I never had to turn the volume up very high and the quality of sound was awesome, as the clarity was sharp, and the range of sound impressive. Whether I was listening to classical, rock, or gospel the stereo was great! The only thing better was being at a concert! The only thing missing was a satellite radio. I loved the fact that it had a remote starter, as we lived in the desert, and I could go and start it, crack up the air conditioner, leave it locked and come back ten to fifteen and it would be cool inside, instead of super-hot like most cars are during the summer when you get into them, and because I still had the key no one could steal it. I loved this car and I really miss it. I was in an accident and totalled it without a scratch on me, to testify about its safety! If I had the money I would not hesitate to buy one tommorow, but I am down on my luck, without a job and broke, so I'll have to wait until God shines on me!

6.0L of Fun

by Youngster from Portland, OR | October 4, 2011

Reliability has not been an issue havent even needed to change the oil yet so we will see on that. Value is great. Big V8 plenty of horsepower and torque, active fuel management to help improve effiency, defeatable traction control. Interior is pretty good the seats are comfortable the controls are unique. The gauges are well designed and only two things are poor. The passenger airbag light in the reaerview mirror is suspect and be aware that the passenger seat DOES NOT go back as far as the drivers seat. exterior is gorgeous, tail lights are unique wouldnt call them beautifull but they work with the car. The front 2/3 of the car is the selling point. Performance. My G8 GT just keeps pulling, feels like everytime it switches gear more horsepower is unleashed even though that is not the case. Really goes in 2nd and 3rd gear. Endless tire smoke if you want it. Comfort Somewhat rough over potholes and speed bumps but what do you expect from a sports car. Medium firm ride but really smooth on the freeways. Tight steering. Overall a 4 Very good at what it is meant to be. A BMW 5 series for half the cash. Limited slip rear end fully independant suspension, big power. Test drive one if you can find em, fun car.

I absolutely love my car!!!

by J dog from Los angeles ca | September 27, 2011

I recently got a Pontiac g8 gt in white. I love my car as well as my friends. It's sporty stylish comfortable and great on gas even with all it's power! My boyfriend is a car/motor enthusiast and even he loves it! I tinted the windows and am getting new wheels and tires soon. I got a great luxury car for a great price! I can't say anything but good about these cars! I commute alot and for far distances so being in such a great comfortable reliable great on gas car is just one less thing I don't have to worry about :-)

Still get that smirk everytime I drive this car!:)

by Loyal Pontiac Enthusiast from Lansing, MI | September 13, 2011

This car is so much fun to drive! It reminds me of the "glory days" back in high school with my old firebird, granted the G8 GT is so much more than that car! But, GM could have made this car PERFECT, but decided to skimp when they shouldn't have so now I'm getting ready to take it in for warranty repairs for the 2nd time now. Had transmission issues, replaced a faulty windshield, and possibly looking at rear main seal leak, front suspension issues, and who knows what else. Mine has 34k on the car. The interior is GREAT especially being that it's a pontiac, but for some reason the engineers decided to put bright ugly "atari" gauges in the middle of the dash, and put a super bright passenger airbag light right on the rear view mirror...uhm..stupid. Overall, I really do love this car, it's absolutely amazing to drive and it makes you just hope that a mustang would pull up beside you at a red light! Gas mileage is okay, average 19 to 20mpg between city and highway...what can I expect from a 6.0L v8?! Tons of room inside! It's a good car, but not perfect.

Featured Services for this Pontiac G8