2002 Pontiac Grand Am

Available in 8 styles:  2002 Pontiac Grand Am 2dr Coupe shown

Overall

I really can't complain

by worcester ma chick from Worcester, MA | May 21, 2014

People always make fun of my Pontiac. True, she has seen some tough times. The first engine had to be replaced when the timing chain broke. I've replaced the springs 3 times in 5 years, and brake lines twice. I know this sounds horrible but hear me out! This car is great for your first car. I paid next to nothing for it originally and now it runs like a dream. I think it's cute and it gets me from A to B. It SIPS gas. Seriously, it's like 40 bucks to fill the tank and I have to fill it every two weeks, maybe a week and a half if I'm driving extra. There are a few minor annoyances I see across the board here that I too have dealt with... I have crank windows, and the drivers side window crank is broken. It fell into the door panel and I had to rig it so it stays up. My AC knob did fall off with no force applied to it. ABS is broken as well. Sometimes my blinkers don't work unless I give the radio the fonz, but I chalk this up to the fact that there is an automatic starter installed (poorly so) and the wiring there is a mess now. All things considered, this car has been an exercise in patience and in caring for what you have. I couldn't afford to throw it out and get a new car so I have made it safe. Surprisingly enough, it still passes MA state inspection. When the time comes to get a new vehicle I will lay my grand am to rest in the junkyard knowing that it owes me nothing!

Longest I have ever owned a car

by GrandAm alumni from Lyons, NY | May 6, 2014

I bought this car new in 2002. IT HAS 280,000 MILES ON THE ODOMETER AND IS STILL ON THE ROAD. It has never broke down and has had only typical repairs and maintenance. The worse thing that has happened is the failure of the window motor after 9 years and giving up the ABS brake system and using a standard brake system instead.

It's been a good car!

by Kountrybones from Northeastern, NC | March 16, 2014

My sister brought this car new. When she decided she wanted a new car she sold it to me. I have had it for 5 years now. It has been very reliable. I have had the typical things that go wrong with a vehicle throughout the years fixed, but for the most part no major issues. I have 160,000 miles on it and it is still running good. The biggest issue that has been frustrating is the window motors.

Worst car I've owned

by Transportation from | November 26, 2013

I regret this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not worth $10,000

by brittkp from lafayette | January 11, 2012

i paid 5,000 for mine and mine is an 03 bought it in 2008. its been a good car i drive from lafayette to houston almost every month back and forth have never broke down only problem i have had was the ac nob fell off someone broke i think but idk for sure but i barely touched it and it fell off.... but its a good car but i am just saying i had a newer one and payed half of

Dont even think about it...

by Ex Grand Am owner from Massachusetts | November 24, 2011

This cars tranny and engine are reliable...everything else however..will fall apart around you..interior falls apart along with the drivers seat, the heater fails, all the buttons crack, and the springs on this car break on almost a yearly basis for no apparent reason along with other front end issues... You may have a somewhat reliable car..but you will feel like your sitting on a milk crate on you way to work at 50,000 miles..typical GM interior..consider yourself warned..

Worst Car I have ever Had

by owner of 02 grand am from Argonne, WI | July 22, 2011

This car is by far the worst car I have ever owned. I had a 05 grand prix buti couldn't afford it. Since I had such good luck with the Grand Prix I decided I'd stick to pontiac and went to the Grand Am. I sure made the wrond disicion. This car has left me stranded on the road three times all in the year I have owned it. I have always taking care of it and bougth it from a local elderly woman who I know has takin care of it, but never told me the problems she had with it also. First off the first week I had the car the driver side window fell inside the door because the motor broke. costing me $250. Then the heater stopped blowing air, the motor went out on that. Costing me $100. Next on a rainly day the other windows motor broke and the window fell inside the door costing me another $250. After this my electronics went screwy and the radio doesnt come in all i have is cd and when you shut the car off and open the door the stereo doesn't shut off like it is suppost too, it shuts off when you pop the truck. very weirdd. To the this car leaving me stranded on the raod three times. First time was because the fule pump went out, cost me $207, next the radiator busted on the coldest day of the year. (im from northern wisconsin it was -40 out) The heater decided to stop blowing warm air that day also. The last time it left me stranded was because the trany decided to stop working.. Ohh don't let me forget the car hasn't had power steering for 8 months now. I had a new pump and hose put in costing me aprx. $300 and it STILL doesn't work.. It leaks antifreeze and burns oil like no other also. I will give the car the comfortability and the performance on icy Wisconsin roads. It handles really well in the winter which is about one of the only pluses I have for this car.

Great car i have ever had

by Grand Am Gt Freak from Willmar, Mn | May 13, 2011

This is the best car i have ever had i love the fastness of it an d how it handles on the road and of course i got the ram air system too. Its just the right size for one person like me the sound of the speakers are great and it has all of the top of the line things on it the rims and everything I LOVE MY CAR!!!!

My favorite car!

by Miss Picky from Amarillo, TX | April 19, 2011

After months of searching and dozens of cars I finally settled on My Grand Am due to it being a 4 door that is still super sporty. I am so happy that I got far more than I expected! There have been no major issues in the 4 years I have had it and it is a blast to drive. The only issue I have had is with my pass lock system but after a few months it has stopped having problems without needing any repairs!!! If you are looking for a fun and sporty car with the convenience of a sedan this is your car!

I never liked the car

by Retired oceanfront at Hampton Beach from Hampton Beach, NH | March 4, 2011

I bought the car new at the dealership. I never liked the car - it was not comfortable. At 20,000 miles, it needed brakes. Two years old, it needed a new battery. At 35,000 miles, it needed engine work - replacing a gasket. That particular 6 cylinder GM engine was known for the "gasket" problem. You wouldn't want to get caught in city traffic - because the car would over heat. I kept the car for 8 years - and traded it (it only had 83,000 miles). I don't drive much, so I grinned and beared the car. But I did not like it and was glad to get rid of it. I would not sell that car to a family member, neighbor or friend. Funny, I paid $21,000 new, and got $3000 for the trade-in. The car was always garaged and din't have a scratch on it. I put new tires (original brand) on at 75,000 miles. Guess a kid might not mind the ride, but to me the ride was not only uncomfortable, but a noisy ride... Sorry I bought it in the first place.

Featured Services for this Pontiac Grand Am