2002 Pontiac Grand Am

See Photos & Videos

Overall

It's been a good car!

by Kountrybones from Northeastern, NC | March 16, 2014

My sister brought this car new. When she decided she wanted a new car she sold it to me. I have had it for 5 years now. It has been very reliable. I have had the typical things that go wrong with a vehicle throughout the years fixed, but for the most part no major issues. I have 160,000 miles on it and it is still running good. The biggest issue that has been frustrating is the window motors.

Worst car I've owned

by Transportation from | November 26, 2013

I regret this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not worth $10,000

by brittkp from lafayette | January 11, 2012

i paid 5,000 for mine and mine is an 03 bought it in 2008. its been a good car i drive from lafayette to houston almost every month back and forth have never broke down only problem i have had was the ac nob fell off someone broke i think but idk for sure but i barely touched it and it fell off.... but its a good car but i am just saying i had a newer one and payed half of

Dont even think about it...

by Ex Grand Am owner from Massachusetts | November 24, 2011

This cars tranny and engine are reliable...everything else however..will fall apart around you..interior falls apart along with the drivers seat, the heater fails, all the buttons crack, and the springs on this car break on almost a yearly basis for no apparent reason along with other front end issues... You may have a somewhat reliable car..but you will feel like your sitting on a milk crate on you way to work at 50,000 miles..typical GM interior..consider yourself warned..

Worst Car I have ever Had

by owner of 02 grand am from Argonne, WI | July 22, 2011

This car is by far the worst car I have ever owned. I had a 05 grand prix buti couldn't afford it. Since I had such good luck with the Grand Prix I decided I'd stick to pontiac and went to the Grand Am. I sure made the wrond disicion. This car has left me stranded on the road three times all in the year I have owned it. I have always taking care of it and bougth it from a local elderly woman who I know has takin care of it, but never told me the problems she had with it also. First off the first week I had the car the driver side window fell inside the door because the motor broke. costing me $250. Then the heater stopped blowing air, the motor went out on that. Costing me $100. Next on a rainly day the other windows motor broke and the window fell inside the door costing me another $250. After this my electronics went screwy and the radio doesnt come in all i have is cd and when you shut the car off and open the door the stereo doesn't shut off like it is suppost too, it shuts off when you pop the truck. very weirdd. To the this car leaving me stranded on the raod three times. First time was because the fule pump went out, cost me $207, next the radiator busted on the coldest day of the year. (im from northern wisconsin it was -40 out) The heater decided to stop blowing warm air that day also. The last time it left me stranded was because the trany decided to stop working.. Ohh don't let me forget the car hasn't had power steering for 8 months now. I had a new pump and hose put in costing me aprx. $300 and it STILL doesn't work.. It leaks antifreeze and burns oil like no other also. I will give the car the comfortability and the performance on icy Wisconsin roads. It handles really well in the winter which is about one of the only pluses I have for this car.

Great car i have ever had

by Grand Am Gt Freak from Willmar, Mn | May 13, 2011

This is the best car i have ever had i love the fastness of it an d how it handles on the road and of course i got the ram air system too. Its just the right size for one person like me the sound of the speakers are great and it has all of the top of the line things on it the rims and everything I LOVE MY CAR!!!!

My favorite car!

by Miss Picky from Amarillo, TX | April 19, 2011

After months of searching and dozens of cars I finally settled on My Grand Am due to it being a 4 door that is still super sporty. I am so happy that I got far more than I expected! There have been no major issues in the 4 years I have had it and it is a blast to drive. The only issue I have had is with my pass lock system but after a few months it has stopped having problems without needing any repairs!!! If you are looking for a fun and sporty car with the convenience of a sedan this is your car!

I never liked the car

by Retired oceanfront at Hampton Beach from Hampton Beach, NH | March 4, 2011

I bought the car new at the dealership. I never liked the car - it was not comfortable. At 20,000 miles, it needed brakes. Two years old, it needed a new battery. At 35,000 miles, it needed engine work - replacing a gasket. That particular 6 cylinder GM engine was known for the "gasket" problem. You wouldn't want to get caught in city traffic - because the car would over heat. I kept the car for 8 years - and traded it (it only had 83,000 miles). I don't drive much, so I grinned and beared the car. But I did not like it and was glad to get rid of it. I would not sell that car to a family member, neighbor or friend. Funny, I paid $21,000 new, and got $3000 for the trade-in. The car was always garaged and din't have a scratch on it. I put new tires (original brand) on at 75,000 miles. Guess a kid might not mind the ride, but to me the ride was not only uncomfortable, but a noisy ride... Sorry I bought it in the first place.

Great car

by Jack the Car Man from Woodstock IL | December 2, 2010

This car is decent on gas considering the power it packs with a V6. This car is low to the ground so it has more of a sporty feel to it and less of a sedan feel (even if it is a sedan). It has a lot of safety features including the LATCH system for car seats and air bags. You can fit 4 people comfortably in it and the factory sound system is better than average. As long as it is maintained regularly, this car can last easily beyond 200K miles.

Reliable car, Great for Commuting

by RichardB from Fenton, Michigan | November 15, 2010

I got my Grand Am SE Sedan in February of 2002. Since i wanted a standard transmission, which is not popular in Michigan, my dealer found one for me and had it shipped from California. (new) I was impressed at how smooth the 5 speed transmission shifted, and the comfortable ride. The Monsoon radio had great sound, and was able to pull in distant FM stations with ease. My Grand Am was equipped with electric door locks, remote entry, a sunroof, and Fold-down rear seat backs. This last feature allows me to transport large items easily. I've often loaded 10 foot long building material into my Grand Am, and still been able to close the trunk. You can't even get a 10 foot long water pipe into the back of a pickup truck without it hanging over the tailgate. Folding down the rear seat backs also allows me to carry two bicycles in this extended cargo area when my wife and I go on bicycling outings. At about 20000 miles, i started to experience a noise in the front which the dealer attributed to the Goodyear Eagle Tires. They fixed the problem by allowing me to exchange the remaining life of the Goodyear tires for a different set of tires. Around 90000 miles, I had a problem with the security system on the vehicle that could have been repaired by replacing the ignition switch. I opted instead to install a fix suggested on Edmunds.com. This fix saved me $400, and bypassed the "Security" warning system on the vehicle, which to me, is not a necessity. I have had very few problems with this vehicle. Both Ignition coils and an Ignition Module have failed on the car, but neither of these failures stranded me, and my overall expenditures for repairs have been quite small. I went over 80000 miles before brake reconditioning, and at 137000 miles, I still have not had to replace the clutch. My average fuel economy is around 33 MPG, and at 65 mph, I can approach 40 MPG on the highway. After 8 years of ownership, I still use this car daily as my ride to and from work. Even on Michigan's highly salted roads, the exterior finish looks nearly new, with no signs of rust-through anywhere on the body. I would highly recommend this model to anyone looking for comfortable, reliable transportation. This model, with less than 100000 miles, would surely give many years of service.

Featured Services for this Pontiac Grand Am